Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:03 am

I feel for those impacted, I’ve finally given up on a trip pushed back twice already from May 2020 and gone down the refund route. It’s the hope that kills you!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Perhaps the above could be used if there is nothing South Africa specific in a post ?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Housekeeping notice

Several recent posts have been carved out of this thread and moved to the Coronavirus and Travel forum, as this development will inevitably gain traction during the days, weeks, months ahead. This will return the focus of this thread to BA’s service to/from South Africa.

U.K. Government response to the Omicron variant

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Hoping this is on topic still. It looks like both BA42 and 56 are en-route to LHR.

Would these be coming back as empty aircraft and this is just to get crew and aircraft back to LHR for other services?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by andrewr1985
It looks like both BA42 and 56 are en-route to LHR.

Would these be coming back as empty aircraft and this is just to get crew and aircraft back to LHR for other services?
EF flight status shows that both were "cancelled", so it looks extremely likely that they came back empty, and for this reason. Certainly the aircraft have to be retrieved, as BA couldn't just leave them sitting there downroute for an indefinite period. What only insiders will know is whether the crew that operated out on 24 November will also have come home early on board these aircraft (I think that JNB and CPT are now both 2-night stops for cabin crew).
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So if BA are sending planes back empty. Are there no rescue flights to get people back before deadline tomorrow?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eugegall
Are there no rescue flights to get people back before deadline tomorrow?
The deadline has been and gone, almost as soon as it was announced. It was 1200Z on Friday 26 November.
jerry a. laska and KARFA like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The deadline has been and gone, almost as soon as it was announced. It was 1200Z on Friday 26 November.
Sure but it was only self isolation until 4am tomorrow.

Surely they could have got many people home to beat the hotel quarantine deadline.

Instead I'm hearing they are sending planes back empty. What happens to those out there wanting to get home?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:58 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Anyone have any idea when the returning-to-uk day 2 PCR tests / self-isolation until negative actually kick in? All the BBC news items imply it is at some future date not yet decided, the word "immediately" is not mentioned.

I return to the UK from AMS in 2 days time and already have my rapid Antigen test booked (as was required earlier today when I booked the test). Is immediate return to PCR now required on day 2?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eugegall
Surely ...
You really haven't thought through the detail of this, have you?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is currently a ban on inbound passenger flights from South Africa which started on 1200 Friday until 0400 on Monday. Even if airlines wanted to repatriate people, they can’t.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You really haven't thought through the detail of this, have you?
I appreciate you're experienced and very respected on this forum.

Instead of being cryptic, why don't you throw me a bone and hold a conversation to questions being posted instead of what is coming across as very patronising.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
There is currently a ban on inbound passenger flights from South Africa which started on 1200 Friday until 0400 on Monday. Even if airlines wanted to repatriate people, they can’t.
Ah that makes perfect sense.

Perfectly explained in a single sentence. Now I understand so thank you.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:17 pm

Hi, long time lurker here but might be able to contribute for a change.
We managed to fly out to cpt on 19th November after many cancellations. We didn't think we were taking any risks and would be another simple trip to sa with BA. After 20 months without flying we were apprehensive but it was great getting out here, very smooth, great crew, good food, enjoyed the club suite for the first time as no more First! We always manage to do it on Avios, not easy to SA.
First week was great until the ANNOUNCEMENT. Thought we were clever to avoid quarantine hotel, managed to get Qatar flights to Dublin on 1st Dec, 10 days there in quarantine freedom then back to lhr. Then ireland went to red. Plan B, change qatar flights via doha to lhr with 10 day stopover. Then Qatar stopped flights. So back to BA. Flight was originally BA42 on 1st Dec, this was cancelled but now rescheduled as a day flight. PCR test tomorrow, landing back lhr 20.45 on 1st December. Then quarantine hotel, think we have struck gold with that, radisson blu at Heathrow. Not a hotel we would choose to spend £3800 to stay at but it is what it is. So BA are getting us home quickly. Just trying to enjoy the last few days and working out how many bottles of SA wine we can get back to keep us going through quarantine. For those stuck in SA hopefully you get home soon as well, BA seem to be doing what they can.

Last edited by Missingfirst; Nov 27, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Indeed. No direct flights allowed, though the home / hotel quarantine applies to those arriving indirectly via other hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.