Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
BA and South Africa

I am assuming that these routes are now doomed UFN, following the UK govt announcement of a travel ban.

Does anyone know if BA54 will fly with passengers tonight and tomorrow night or will the planes have to come back empty?

Last edited by HFHFFlyer; Dec 23, 2020 at 9:03 am
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
My dad's partner has just returned from Cape Town and arrived back in London on Monday morning. I guess this means they will both need to quarantine now? Not clear for how long as she was already subject to the standard quarantine requirement from when she arrived on Monday.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
My dad's partner has just returned from Cape Town and arrived back in London on Monday morning. I guess this means they will both need to quarantine now? Not clear for how long as she was already subject to the standard quarantine requirement from when she arrived on Monday.
they will both need to quarantine & I believe it is for 14 days as Matt Hancock said it applies to anyone arriving in UK in the last fortnight. Presumably test & release will also not be available.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by mda03jb
they will both need to quarantine & I believe it is for 14 days as Matt Hancock said it applies to anyone arriving in UK in the last fortnight. Presumably test & release will also not be available.
Thanks. That was my reading of it too and I assume it's 14 days from when she got back.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
This from Sky News "NEW - Flights from South Africa to be stopped amid new variant of covid"
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Media reports now that all flights from SA to be stopped with immediate effect.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK *G, Virgin Flying Club, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Surely after the relaxation of restrictions in SA there will currently be a lot of British citizens in SA. Something will need to be done to allow them to come home.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
"If everybody bans me, I want to ban someone, too!"
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irmster
This from Sky News "NEW - Flights from South Africa to be stopped amid new variant of covid"
There doesn’t seem to be any corroboration of this, or any other outlet reporting.

Currently have a relative at T5 planning to fly to JNB!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
An article in The Guardian states that five countries have now banned flights including Switzerland and Germany. More to follow methinks!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC
In reality a flight ban might mean disruption for a few days whilst the knee jerk reaction is assessed, cargo flight and repatriation schedule is assessed and agreed...
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Blue
And the Netherlands have already un-banned SA:
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/tr...0-days-2020-12
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:19 am

I don’t understand this. BA58 left Cape Town just over an hour ago. Does that mean it’ll have to turn around?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Am very curious to get confirmation on the current restrictions / bans as am in Cape Town right now!
From everything I can see online, the restrictions amount to full 14 day quarantine for people who have returned from SA, but I can’t find a flight ban text from the Govt yet. The fact the U.K. govt also publicly thanked the SA Govt / Health Ministry for sharing their data on the Covid strain makes me think it would be very harsh to ban travel after a Country was open on any new strains (unlike the 50+ countries who went knee jerk on the U.K.!)

At the moment the BA59 for tonight (23rd) is showing as on time which is interesting)

Pilot37
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I anticipate there will be a statement shortly on this, I don't think there is anything out yet, which means BA and other airlines are being informed at the moment. Sky News is reporting, and I'm not going to contradict, that inbound flights from South Africa to the UK will be prohibited from tonight. I will post if I see anything more, but it's going to be a busy news night.

I suspect a Statutory Instrument is about to follow too, presumably to ensure recent arrivals in the UK do self isolate regardless of exemption status, and their household members too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.