Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to sell a limited number of First Class items

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DeathSlam
Link thanks to florens, so others don't have to search the whole (now lengthy) thread.

https://www.whatabuy.co.uk/british-airways

Due to exposure on the BBC it looks like the company was swamped with a deluge of orders far greater than they expected, so some deliveries are taking a while to ship.
Many people have received their deliveries, so it looks like if you have a confirmation email for your purchase it should eventually be fulfilled.

On 1st Dec 2020 Whatabuy sent an email to all customers to say
Please be assured that if you received a 'confirmation of order' screen at the end of your transaction, we have a record of your purchase and are working on processing this, even if you did not receive a confirmation email.

On 9th Dec 2020 Whatabuy sent an email to customers to say
Please be assured that we are doing our upmost to fulfil all orders as quickly as possible, with all orders placed between the 23rd and 27th of November due to be shipped by Monday 14th December and all orders placed between the 28th November and 7th December due to be shipped by Monday 21st December.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

I just saw a crew member post this on Instagram:

Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Literally selling the family silver.

Has it really come to this?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I’m assuming this is due to the loss of the 747 fleet / reduced network / reduced frequencies, and therefore the reduction in F cabins.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:19 pm

The plastic cups are obviously here to stay
worldtrav, NoY, GlobalMatt and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
They sell overstocked onboard service items to the staff a couple times a year and have sold them to the public a few times before. I guess with less staff presence in offices, the usual head office sale is moving online and opening up to anyone who wants something. Given that and the reduction of First seats thanks to the 747s going early, I wouldn't read anything more into it.
Genius1, krispy84, ft543 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
What’s the missing word(s) cropped from the end ?

for “An exorbitant fee”
for “A million Avios”
for “Your next Greek celebratory occasion”
?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I just saw a crew member post this on Instagram:
Hopefully there'll be a link to this coming out in good time, so one has time to peruse the catalogue before making purchases.

I need an entire new set of plates and so on at home, so I'll be all over this... if we get a link to the sale in good time!
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:20 pm

I have a feeling this is not just to trim overstock but to raise some cash and engage the (non-)flying public. Despite the reduction in F seats, they can always keep the crockery for future use, as its a non perishable item. Divide current stock into batches, use them one at a time, and when the time comes to get rid of it, do so and move onto the next batch. They are probably going to sell them at a high margin vs. what they paid for, playing on the whole luxury/British heritage brands schtick and make some cash out of the sale, and see this as a PR exercise at the same time.
Has BA still managed to hold off receiving government aid? (I haven't been following the situation on that front too closely)
Thats the big question in my opinion, they will do EVERYTHING in their power not to receive government aid in order to cling on to their slots at LHR, so far the strategy has been to lower staff remuneration permanently, cut premium cabin meals, close lounges, sell artwork, supplies etc. So after all is said and done, its the employees (and to a smaller extent pax) who would have done the sacrificing so that they can go back to charging a hefty premium for a non-competitive product out of LHR and get away with it.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You can buy hot towels too. And a bread basket.

Seriously.

F slippers too.
NoY, Genius1, smokie36 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:41 pm

Delta sells meals, American Airlines peanuts, Qantas has put on sale basically everything they found in their warehouse, from fully-laden trolleys to PJs... nothing new here.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Some idiot cannot keep their big mouth shut!
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Some idiot cannot keep their big mouth shut!
If you’re talking about me, I am just reporting what I saw online.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No, the knob who posted it on Instagram.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:25 pm

They haven't exactly posted the blueprints of the Death Star on the Internet, come on. It's simply the staff catering sale done online rather than in the WTS theatre.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Posting something on the staff Intranet doesn’t exactly make it top secret information....

This has happened before, when the 747 retirement was announced. Staff got an email (which was duly passed on to the press) but there wasn’t an official PR statement until at least 24 hours later. Not exactly joined up thinking.
13901 and AirbusA350 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.