Wiki Posts
Search

Booking for US 2021

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Booking for US 2021

HI

Im hoping to visit our son in NYC for September 2021. At present borders are closed to the UK except for essential travel. So my question is if I made a BA flight booking now and the borders still remained closed in September would BA allow me a voucher for future travel under their book with confidence scheme which is currently still running.

Hope this makes sense and again apologise if the question has already been posted. Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Buy With Confidence currently extends to 31 August 2021, not through to September, so you would be taking an unnecessary risk at this point. Unnecessary in the sense that you would be best to hold off booking until nearer the departure time. Moreover fares tend to be cheaper closer to departure than 10-11 months off, contrary to popular belief.

The possible exception would be to use Avios to make a booking, so long as you are ok to lose the £35 per person redeposit fee.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. We do have an Amex 2-4-1 would that work better.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lovetoholiday
Thank you for your advice. We do have an Amex 2-4-1 would that work better.
Yes, that would reduce the risk to some degree, in that you can cancel a redemption booking up to 24 hours before departure, that's a standard offer. The companion voucher would at that point also be returned and made available for re-use, so long as it had not expired by that point. If it is due to expire, then obviously the thing to do is to review your New York trip close to the relevant date and then see if you can shift it to somewhere else instead. But the Avios and most of the cash would not be at risk on this sort of booking, just the redeposit fee.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
While who knows if this will actually turn out to be true, there were rumors of a NYLON travel bridge before things got worse here in the US. It seems plausible that if US travel is in a better place in September, NYC-London would be one of the first opportunities to open.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:38 pm

If the new administration actually comes to power in the US, I’d expect more lockdowns and heavy restrictions in the US.

It’s very likely that the border closures continue through an extended period of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.