Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of vaccine announcement on BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For those who are vulnerable, I would highlight this. I can see a strong case to get flu jabs ASAP. So that's Flucelvax Tetra for Northern 2020/2021, or WHO endorsed equivalent. The reason being is that there may be a need to separate the new vaccine from flu vaccines by a period of time, and the candidate vaccine needs 2 doses at 28 days separation. So you can do the maths here, but now would be a good time to get the very important flu jab out of the way.
good point. For Pfizer, its ten days between the flu shot and COVID shots. I am in the US trial, so just went thru this. Since the two covid shots are two weeks apart, we had to wait 10 days after getting the second shot before getting the flu jab. Total of 24 days two finish out both. Of course that timing could change in the future.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Misco60
Fake news. Bigly fake news, in fact.

“If public health professionals, if Dr. Fauci, if the doctors tell us that we should take it, I’ll be the first in line to take it, absolutely,” she said. “But if Donald Trump tells us that we should take it, I’m not taking it.”
I watch an interview today with Dr. Fauci today and he was very optimistic about the vaccine and stated that Pfizer would be applying for an emergency use authorization within the next week or two which could see doses being given by the end of the month. He also stated that Modema's vaccine is very similar.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:13 pm

Originally posted by T8191:
Happy to be over 70 in this scenario! BUT ... all will depend on how destination Nations handle the concept of ‘This passenger is immune’, and what documentation will be needed.
Those of us of even greater age may remember the days when we all carried our International Certificate of Vaccination Against Smallpox when flying. I think I still have mine, tucked inside an old passport. Perhaps we will be issued with a Covid-19 version when we get our second jab.
PUCCI GALORE, T8191 and LHR FLYER like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by SW7London
How many here would be happy to take the vaccine as soon as they can access it, say early 2021, to enable normality and for most of us - resuming frequent travel?

I'm no anti-vaxxer however balancing out my desire to see any reported side effects over 6-12 months vs being able to resume normality!
I volunteered for the moderna trial in the US but unfortunately was not selected. So pretty much ASAP for me.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Actually I’ll say something about this because it is a seemingly fair point and I hear it repeated but we need to be clear: there has been almost no (relatively) money or research dedicated to beating the common cold, primarily because it is a disease of little social or economic consequence. There is at least a good theoretical chance that a Covid vaccine will provide protection against the common cold but we don’t know because nobody (in medical research) cares enough to find out at the moment- it isn’t an outcome measure in any of the trials.

So my point is that saying we won’t beat Covid because we haven’t beaten the cold is like saying we can’t go to the moon because I’ve never personally been to Great Yarmouth...!
I partly agree - I think it is fair to say that we can now achieve more in a year than we have done in the past 30 years. The leap in technology has been truly astounding and the potential benefits in healthcare enormous. With this being true we are still at the beginning and we don't understand the human body that well. In addition, the biggest issue is PROFIT - we've already seen certain US drug companies claim they have treatments for COVID that the WHO says are ineffective and it is obvious to all that the best COVID treatment is going to make so much money for the drug companies that the odd side effect here and there can be "ignored". Technology is so complex the regulators have no way of auditing (as we all know re things like the 737 and so on). So let's see. Cures for cancer, dementia, TB, malaria are all far more pressing and take more lives but are not as profitable. The chances of catching (and dying of) COVID are still slim and I'd rather wait to see what happens in the first year to see if the medicine does its job without profit getting in the way.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by paulaf
Yes I think so but it would be nice to be given a payback, like no need to wear a mask etc, will we get a vaccine certificate maybe?
As I understand it, what we know right now is that the vaccine prevents the virus in someone exposed to it from developing into Sars Covid-19. What is not yet known is whether it is possible to still be an asymptomatic carrier. Given that masks are, again as I understand it, more about preventing asymptomatic spread, then I would be surprised if mask rules were relaxed in 2021.

On vaccination certificates I have long suspected that in the future, a requirement to show a vaccination certificate in order to avoid either an entry ban / quarantine / testing could work. If you look at what they are doing with rapid tests in Liverpool, over time, it’s easy to join the dots and see how a venue such as The O2 could deliver an event with a combination of checking certificates (perhaps as part of the NHS App - which I’ve long said they will never let us get rid of) and for those who can’t show a vaccination certificate from an accredited vaccine (ie other countries / over time, we, might use more than one) would have to show a test result. I imagine a slightly less reliable test might be acceptable from a risk perspective because the most vulnerable will have been vaccinated - and it seems it’s a question of what level of risk is acceptable.

In the end of course the hope will be enough of the right people have been vaccinated that nobody needs to check and Covid becomes something like meningitis etc.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I suspectt that if this vaccine is approved and successful more than one manufacturer will make it it. There is no way Governments will allow one company to control it and charge high prices and limit supplies.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
Fake news. Bigly fake news, in fact.

During the debate, what Ms Harris said was that President Trump’s word, alone, would not be enough to earn her trust in the safety and effectiveness of a future Covid-19 vaccine.

“If public health professionals, if Dr. Fauci, if the doctors tell us that we should take it, I’ll be the first in line to take it, absolutely,” she said. “But if Donald Trump tells us that we should take it, I’m not taking it.”
Spot on
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by muscat
As this is the ranking for vaccinations, I can’t see BA’s passenger traffic increasing by very much before the first 10/20 million doses (for 5/10 million people) get used up. (They run out round about class 6). A provisional ranking of prioritisation for persons at-risk is set out below:
  1. older adults’ resident in a care home and care home workers1
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers1
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. high-risk adults under 65 years of age
  7. moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age
  8. all those 60 years of age and over
  9. all those 55 years of age and over
  10. all those 50 years of age and over
  11. rest of the population (priority to be determined)2
That is the rumoured list as it stands from a outline proposal in September. It critically depends on how many doses you get, how quickly, and how easily the get distributed.
Also as other have said there is a lot we don't know yet about just how effective this is. This morning Brazil has halted trials of SinoVax over saftey concerns and AZ had a scare the other week.
This is a massive step forward but honestly you are looking well into 2021 to have anything like normality......

FD.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
You are welcome to have my place in the queue. Working with AI companies (like Nvidia) it is amazing to see what is going on. However, we've not managed to beat the common cold depsite trying for decades so I'd rather others have a go first and see what happens. Like many things, I think prevention, at this time, is still going to be better than cure but everyone is entitled to make their own minds up.
Thy've not found a cure for the common cold because there's too much money to be made from remedies.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
Yes I think so but it would be nice to be given a payback, like no need to wear a mask etc, will we get a vaccine certificate maybe?
You will still need to wear a mask.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:18 am

If a vaccine starts to roll out in 2021, and two classes of people exist in the mean time - vaccinated who can travel freely (even if they are older and less likely to be travelling) and unvaccinated who cannot/still subject to quarantine either overseas or back in the UK, where does this leave BAEC status going forward - extend for those who have not had a vaccine, rely on 25% reduced earnings for those vaccinated? It all starts to become complicated...
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
As a 66 year-old married to a 60 year-old, I still won't be able to travel until my wife has been vaccinated.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GBOAC
If a vaccine starts to roll out in 2021, and two classes of people exist in the mean time - vaccinated who can travel freely (even if they are older and less likely to be travelling) and unvaccinated who cannot/still subject to quarantine either overseas or back in the UK, where does this leave BAEC status going forward - extend for those who have not had a vaccine, rely on 25% reduced earnings for those vaccinated? It all starts to become complicated...
I think it is way too early to speculate what might happen with vaccination and entry requirements. Many Governments will want their own high-risk populations vaccinated before allowing lower-risk individuals to benefit. We also do not know if this vaccine will reduce asymptomatic transmission, so it might not be suitable for a population-level vaccination programme. If it is not, other vaccines might be, or they might not. We just do not know. This is the problem with government taking heads getting on the news last night and this morning talking of "distant bugles" and this kind of nonsense. We are not there yet.
LGWClosedAgain likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I think it is way too early to speculate what might happen with vaccination and entry requirements. Many Governments will want their own high-risk populations vaccinated before allowing lower-risk individuals to benefit. We also do not know if this vaccine will reduce asymptomatic transmission, so it might not be suitable for a population-level vaccination programme. If it is not, other vaccines might be, or they might not. We just do not know. This is the problem with government taking heads getting on the news last night and this morning talking of "distant bugles" and this kind of nonsense. We are not there yet.
I largely agree with this, but perhaps I'm more optimistic on restrictions easing. The two key priorities are to stop the terrible death rate - all the more so when there is a realistic chance that there is a key remedy close to hand; also to reduce the pressure on the health service, since those who recover from covid sometimes need a lot of resources if they enter hospital, with wide implications for other healthcare. Hence the restrictions placed on all of us including restrictions on travel, given that's it's unrealistic to isolate everyone who is vulnerable.

45% of fatalities are for those over 80 years old, another 45% is for those 60 to 80 years. A high percentage of fatalities have secondary health conditions. So even with 10 million doses, the prospect of reducing both the death rate and health care resource implications are very much on the table now. This isn't going to happen by Christmas, but Easter maybe another matter, even if we are still wearing masks at that point. And the chances of this happening will go up if we can keep infection levels down ahead of a vaccination programme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.