Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refund for Cathay Dragon (KA) redemption ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC

Following the close down of Cathay Dragon (KA), all routes except Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei or Denpasar (Bali) will be ceased (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html). KA advise passengers to contact the ticketing airline to make alternative arrangements.

I have a redemption ticket booked for travel in September next year to Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Just called BAEC Hong Kong hotline and they said refund is not possible due to the flight is not marked as cancelled. I told the agent to refer to the notice and the airline is no longer running that my flight would definitely not take off. She said she was not told how to handle and no guideline was given. She asked me to call again 2-4 weeks later to see how things go. Um...

Last edited by neofung; Oct 21, 2020 at 12:18 am
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by neofung
Following the close down of Cathay Dragon (KA), all routes except Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei or Denpasar (Bali) will be ceased
Flights to Taiwan are continuing as you have quoted
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Strawb
Flights to Taiwan are continuing as you have quoted
I am going to kaohsiung
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Strawb
Flights to Taiwan are continuing as you have quoted, via CX
Flights to Taipei continue - was that the only airport in Taiwan served?

EDIT - OP beat me to it.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
She asked me to call again 2-4 weeks later to see how things go. Um...
The BA agent does sound reasonable.

KA's ceased operation is different from your typical out of business. At the minimum, KA is owned by CX, so while operationally KA ceases operation, CX is still fully honor all obligations, as KA is not insolvent or has filed bankruptcy.

The reason why KA tickets have to be cancel because the routes are approved based on AOC, i.e. CX can't simply resume KA routes without regulatory approval.

Assuming you are book for either KHH or RMQ (if TPE, you will only be eligible for rebooking on CX only), I would wait and see if Taiwan can grant the approval.

FWIW - as you have said, the flight is not going to be taken off. There is no rush.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
As its 24 hours since notice was served, and you're not travelling for 11 months, definitely leave it a week. The quantity of changes coming through for staff to handle internally, never mind from BAEC partners is overwhelming to say the least.
VSLover and etiene like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:59 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Read yesterday that CX/SIA carried 35M pax last Sept. This Sept CX carried 47K
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:20 am

I recall when my KA flight on Avios was cancelled earlier this year, the system had rebooked me on another one automatically, although the time lag caused a scare as I got the cancellation first and the rebook notification came a few hours later.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:47 pm

If you still want to take the trip you should see if they can change your ticket to TPE. You can probably get to Kaohsiung in under 3 hours from TPE on the High Speed Rail.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Whilst CX app still listed the flight as confirmed, BA cancelled the flight already. Applied for a refund via hotline done.

Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Whilst CX app still listed the flight as confirmed, BA cancelled the flight already. Applied for a refund via hotline done.

Since this is so many months out - you should have waited for when CX takes over KA’s routes and BA would likely rebook you on the new service...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.