Wiki Posts
Search

BA 0649. CFU LHR. Mon 12th Covid?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I think its the 3 rows in front and 3 rows behind the infected person that are notified.

not sure if that changes in areas close to the toilets where there may be more footfall

it could be they only developed symptoms a few days after they arrived back in the UK and tested 5 or 6 days after their return, hence why you are hearing after 7 days.

If so they would probably have tested negative if any test on arrival had been available.

​​​​​​Happy with that as an answer, 3 rows either side would seem logical, rather than the whole flight.

If we presume the above is the case, I would have been sat close to the infected person, or attended by cabin crew.
I have checked work / social schedule and
I will easily manage to quarrantine beyond the advised amount of days, so will stick an additional 4 days on the end just to be sure.

Planning to go away early Nov back to Greece, but will hold off booking anything till next week till I'm out of the woods.... just in case.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i dont see why it wouldnt be the entire flight. how could they account for the movement of the positive individual through a cabin and know who else may have been around (for example) and doesn't it send a notification to everyone in a pub or restaurant at the same time as a sick individual? dont really see how that would be different.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover
i dont see why it wouldnt be the entire flight. how could they account for the movement of the positive individual through a cabin and know who else may have been around (for example) and doesn't it send a notification to everyone in a pub or restaurant at the same time as a sick individual? dont really see how that would be different.
Rules are within 2 metres for 15 mins or 1 metre for 5 mins which should only be those sat in vicinity as passing in aisle or toilet queue etc wouldn’t breach this. At my place of work (hospital) these criteria only apply if no mask worn as well (ie. eating in canteen/break room) although not sure if this is the public guidance.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Rules are within 2 metres for 15 mins or 1 metre for 5 mins which should only be those sat in vicinity as passing in aisle or toilet queue etc wouldn’t breach this. At my place of work (hospital) these criteria only apply if no mask worn as well (ie. eating in canteen/break room) although not sure if this is the public guidance.
sure-- my only point was given how terribly ineffective our test and trace system is combined with not possibly being able to ensure the sick individual did not cross paths with a portion of passengers (walking down a single aisle would put them within 2m of everyone) then thats where i just view it as not surprising if they did contact everyone.

though i seem to recall they manages to contact only those around a sick person on a jet2 flight back from greece at some point in the summer? cant recall exact details.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
I remember reading that people who contracted the virus on planes caught it in the toilets. We know the air filters do a good job of circulating clean air in the cabin but it’s the touchpoints in the toilets that spread it (handles/flush). So theoretically I think it’s best for the whole plane to isolate.
sunshinebob likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I remember reading that people who contracted the virus on planes caught it in the toilets.
I think the key to avoid that is not go in together anymore. I know we all enjoy a bit of mile high fun with a stranger, but sadly we will have to wait until the virus passes before we can resume normal activities.

af fp, antichef, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the key to avoid that is not go in together anymore. I know we all enjoy a bit of mile high fun with a stranger, but sadly we will have to wait until the virus passes before we can resume normal activities.

Naughty KARFA! Here I am trying to do some proper scientific analysis.

To be honest I’d be very impressed if 2 people managed to get in a NEO toilet! 😂
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:01 am

I can put you out of your misery Fatdickie. I was in the same cabin as you so this will most likely be a result of my recent positive test. A friend sent me a link to this thread so I could give you the timeline. You'll know I was on the flight because I can confirm the take-off was in stormy weather and it was rough going for the first 10 minutes or so. Also, you might have heard the gobsh*te who was constantly name-dropping, getting louder as she drank more?

My symptoms started on Tuesday 13th so I went for a test on Wednesday morning. I received a negative result on Friday evening but arranged a second test on Sunday morning because of my ongoing symptoms. At the test centre they were trialling a 20 minute test, which I tried and it came back positive. However, I wasn't given an official result for this and was told to wait for the standard test result to come back. The standard test came back positive in the early hours of Monday 19th and so the track & trace process began. I would like to know where I contracted this but given the incubation period of up to two weeks, I'll never know. My husband and friend were both tested on arrival at Corfu and didn't hear back, which we presumed was a good thing. Neither are showing any symptoms.

I was contacted by someone who deals with international track & trace because of my time in Corfu. They took hotel, taxi and flight details, including hotel room number, taxi operator details and aircraft seat location. They contacted my husband (6 times yesterday) and a friend who was on the same flight (different cabin but we'd shared a taxi) and told them both to isolate. They only wanted details going back to the 11th.

So there you go. Hopefully that has helped somewhat?

Best regards.

PS. The only place I would consider visiting the mile high club is the forward upper deck WCs on the A380.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that Gill_Gill
I hope that you are feeling a little better and make a speedy recovery.

It could also not be ruled out that the nightmare queues at LHR for passport control, where people from flights from all destinations were closely pushed together (from both relatively safe places and those considered at high risk) might be a contributing factor.

Best wishes and thanks.

PS. Next time I'm on an A380 with a long queue forming for the forward WC, I will presume you're on the flight. 😉

Last edited by Fatdickie; Oct 21, 2020 at 6:48 am
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gill_Gill
So there you go. Hopefully that has helped somewhat?
Goodness, what a remarkable post. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Gill_Gill, that was quite an impressive first post. More importantly, though, I hope you are recovering quickly from Covid-19, it really is a horrible disease and I hope you will be firing on all cylinders as soon as possible. I also hope we will see more of you here, a great way to share knowledge and experiences. And thanks to your post we know now quite a bit more how the process works. Or even that there is a process, it's quite reassuring to hear this did work correctly. Chin up, and best wishes.
antichef, KARFA, wilsnunn and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Goodness, what a remarkable post. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Gill_Gill, that was quite an impressive first post. More importantly, though, I hope you are recovering quickly from Covid-19, it really is a horrible disease and I hope you will be firing on all cylinders as soon as possible. I also hope we will see more of you here, a great way to share knowledge and experiences. And thanks to your post we know now quite a bit more how the process works. Or even that there is a process, it's quite reassuring to hear this did work correctly. Chin up, and best wishes.
It does in this case show how well / quickly track n trace can and is working.
Gill_Gill advises that she received her positive test on Monday morning.
I received instructions to quarantine ar 6pm the same day.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm not sure I'd be quite so universally positive about the process working correctly overall given that @Gill_Gill had to request multiple tests and received a negative test originally after symptoms were already manifesting themselves! Nevertheless, thank you @Gill_Gill for both the very informative first post and for persevering with tests, wish you a speedy recovery!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I'm not sure I'd be quite so universally positive about the process working correctly overall given that @Gill_Gill had to request multiple tests and received a negative test originally after symptoms were already manifesting themselves! Nevertheless, thank you @Gill_Gill for both the very informative first post and for persevering with tests, wish you a speedy recovery!
It is also just one example, so yes we can't rely on this for all cases. But there is a fundamental point about testing that deserves hammering home. As we saw from the White House Rose Garden, testing is a crucial but fallible tool. It is one of the best barriers we have, but the Swiss Cheese Model applies - you need more barriers than that if you want to overturn the pandemic. You can shed the virus to other people for several days before you test positive in any of the tests currently available, and there is also a failure percentage in all of them. Doesn't make life easy.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This is not unusual and not necessarily an issue about the process, organisation or administration of testing here. US research has found that there is an issue about the incidence of false negatives. It was found that it falls from a probability of 100% on day one of transmission to 67% on day 4, to 20% on day 8. It was shown to increase again from 21% on day nine to 66% on day 21.

There is an issue here for the proponents of airport testing (notably the Daily Telegraph) - unless the reliability can be improved, or a new test formulated, travellers and the authorities at destinations can be given a false sense of security, as passengers arrive, infected, without either symptoms or being identified scientifically.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-1495
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:23 am

I hope that you are well and over it soon.
I contracted CV19 on the 9th (no planes or mile high club involved) and so I am a little ahead of you, it has been very mild so far

Good luck
Fatdickie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.