Wiki Posts
Search

FNC [today’s flight returned to LHR]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by SonTech
At this time you would be surprised. Last one I loaded to FNC most were younger with families......
I'm guessing because it's one of the only places with decent-ish weather where the young libertarians can go without being banged up when they get back. I considered it myself for a while.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
Yes we do, and it's a right pain in the proverbial completing one every day. The only time we don't is if on a domestic or CTA flight. Border Force have been doing spot checks on the jetty recently at Heathrow for both passengers and crew.
That maybe a LHR thing though as it doesn't happen at GLA for Jet2 crew....

If they just dis-embark as domestic no checks either...
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Any crew who land outside the CTA and return to the UK need to complete a PLF. All arrivals from outside the CTA need a PLF (there are a few exceptions but these relate to Crown servants, diplomats and the like). There isn't an exception for crew for completing the form. Obviously crew have an exemption from the self isolation requirements.

EDIT: as to whether those on the Jet2 flight needed one I am honestly not sure. When arriving at LBA I am not even sure whether they would have been taken through international arrivals or domestic.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 20, 2020 at 4:40 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:30 am

I think BA on this occasion made the right decision. Having flown into FNC many times the approach can be treacherous with winds changing at a moments notice.

Diverting to Porto Santo not the best idea as limited resources , a diversion into LIS wd then require a quarantine on return if the crew went out of hours or no improvement in the weather which subsequently meant a hotel stay.

By returning to LHR there is an abundance of hotels, BA own staff at hand.

Hope you managed to get away and enjoy ur break
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:07 am

Crew are strictly forbidden from ‘arriving’ as domestic passengers if their aircraft has landed out of the UK. I don’t know if any local easements in Scotland, but in London they will have their passes confiscated immediately if UKBF has cause to believe it’s happened.

And crew must fill out forms for each arrival, even if they leave again. This means that some crews are having to fill out two forms on the same day. I don’t know where you got the impression they don’t have to... it’s very clearly detailed on the gov site that they have to.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Funchal, and the islands nearby, have a lot of potential for visitors young and old, and certainly have better weather than the UK. Just off the top of my head - there is series of spectacular walk ways across the island's hills and mountains showcasing wildlife unique to the island, the botanic garden is well renown, the food options are diverse and affordable including fish dishes unobtainable anywhere else, the island has 90 cycling routes (and fortunately e-bike hire facilities, it is a bit up-and-down) and unique swimming options even mid winter.
But is any of it Instagrammable? If not, young people won't be interested.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
EDIT: as to whether those on the Jet2 flight needed one I am honestly not sure. When arriving at LBA I am not even sure whether they would have been taken through international arrivals or domestic.
SOP in this situation is to arrive through the international channel. This is because they’ll have been reported as ‘lifted’ out of the UK and should be immigration cleared back in - there could easily be people onboard who need visa clearance with entry stamps, for example. any exception would have to be authorised by local UKBF managers.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Confus
Crew are strictly forbidden from ‘arriving’ as domestic passengers if their aircraft has landed out of the UK. I don’t know if any local easements in Scotland, but in London they will have their passes confiscated immediately if UKBF has cause to believe it’s happened.

And crew must fill out forms for each arrival, even if they leave again. This means that some crews are having to fill out two forms on the same day. I don’t know where you got the impression they don’t have to... it’s very clearly detailed on the gov site that they have to.
It could be that the crew fill in a different form which is handed to the agents on arrival which covers the requirement. I have never seen any crew being checked for the form that passengers have to fill in....
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:21 am

SOP in this situation is to arrive through the international channel. This is because they’ll have been reported as ‘lifted’ out of the UK and should be immigration cleared back in - there could easily be people onboard who need visa clearance with entry stamps, for example. any exception would have to be authorised by local UKBF managers.
Considering the airport would have the passenger manifest then it would be fairly easy to check if anyone needed visa clearance in this case. With Jet2 anyone who does not have a EU passport gets a visa check before they get boarded and it does include checking onward travel or return back to the UK.

But we are digressing away from BA here....
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It could be that the crew fill in a different form which is handed to the agents on arrival which covers the requirement. I have never seen any crew being checked for the form that passengers have to fill in....
Most passengers are not checked either for PLFs, only around 20-30% on average are checked. I am afraid an individual PLF still needs completing whether you are checked or not, this is the same for crew. Crew use the same online one as passengers, albeit they can tick the relevant box for exemption from self isolation.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Realisticflyer
I think BA on this occasion made the right decision. Having flown into FNC many times the approach can be treacherous with winds changing at a moments notice....
Which is one of the things that makes travellers nervous of a trip to FNC, when choosing a holiday. It's not helped by sensationalist DM stories about 'the most dangerous airports in the world'.

It should not be forgotten that it's a (trained) captain, only, landing and that mandatory wind limits are enforced (said to be one of the only airports in the world where this is so). Regarding the flight deck requirements, I have wondered whether BA have shipped over the 'qualified' Gatwick crews to LHR, or whether they have trained up additional flight crews for this service which departs exclusively from Heathrow, for the time being.

BTW: Reids, as suggested above, is one of the more venerable hotels on the island. There are more modern and probably more appealing ones for a younger clientele.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I didnt think there is any 'lifting off' from UK, and as far as I was aware, UKBF does not have records of when one leaves. indeed even when you ask for all information held on you they only have the entry dates and locations (through Subject access request). So unlike our USA friends, I dont think the 'UKBF' computers' would have been an issue in this case - and indeed it would have made more sense to patch them into domestics.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I didnt think there is any 'lifting off' from UK, and as far as I was aware, UKBF does not have records of when one leaves. indeed even when you ask for all information held on you they only have the entry dates and locations (through Subject access request). So unlike our USA friends, I dont think the 'UKBF' computers' would have been an issue in this case - and indeed it would have made more sense to patch them into domestics.
On departure, airlines must pass passport information to relevant UK agencies. This was introduced a few years ago. Whether those agencies then do anything with it is irrelevant, the fact is they have it.
Similarly, and with respect, what ‘makes more sense’ is also completely irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that there are clearly defined procedures for this situation, and these involve in every case pushing passengers through the international channel. UKBF policy states that exceptions can only be authorised by a senior UKBF manager, and any airline taking what you may think is a ‘common sense approach’ will find themselves in serious trouble.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Robert279
Which is one of the things that makes travellers nervous of a trip to FNC, when choosing a holiday. It's not helped by sensationalist DM stories about 'the most dangerous airports in the world'.

It should not be forgotten that it's a (trained) captain, only, landing and that mandatory wind limits are enforced (said to be one of the only airports in the world where this is so). Regarding the flight deck requirements, I have wondered whether BA have shipped over the 'qualified' Gatwick crews to LHR, or whether they have trained up additional flight crews for this service which departs exclusively from Heathrow, for the time being.

BTW: Reids, as suggested above, is one of the more venerable hotels on the island. There are more modern and probably more appealing ones for a younger clientele.
Second landing was perfect and first time for at least ten years that we are clapping!

Fisrt stay there but have to agree with you that Reid's is amazing for young families...
Old Oct 20, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Similarly, and with respect, what ‘makes more sense’ is also completely irrelevant.
Sounds about right and describes in its entirety the government's approach to travel in the age of Covid-19 😂
nufnuf77 and The_Bouncer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.