Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more Avios from Tesco Clubcard [ends 18th January 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Avios from Tesco Clubcard [ends 18th January 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
With just a few weeks to go, has there been any news of who the new partner will be? The original article suggested that BA walked away and would have been "foolish to" without something else up its sleeve.
Mrs Harry is so looking forward to not having to shop there.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
With just a few weeks to go, has there been any news of who the new partner will be? The original article suggested that BA walked away and would have been "foolish to" without something else up its sleeve.
Avios won't tell me, but I am reassured that there is a deal in place. It won't be disclosed until after 18th January.

In simple terms:

Waitrose - very likely in my view as John Lewis / Waitrose has already announced it is about to launch nationally the loyalty scheme it trialled in a few towns earlier this year. It is also possible that Waitrose gets the BOB contract.

Sainsburys - unlikely because of Nectar, which they won't be dropping. Allowing Nectar points to convert to Avios would be tricky and, in any case, the exchange rate would be something like 3:2 at best. This would mean the earning rate at Sainsbury's for shopping would be so pitiful it wouldn't move the needle in slightest (2.4 Avios per £1 at Tesco did move the needle). Avios also wants a high profile deal and being one of 100 Nectar redemption partners is no better than being one of 100 at Clubcard. The only reason not to dismiss this is that the Avios person overseeing the supermarket deal used to work at Sainsburys.

M&S - difficult to see how it would integrate into Sparks, too small, too expensive (to the extent that no-one would drop Tesco and pay the extra at M&S just to get Avios), M&S has just lost the BOB contract

Morrisons - rarely seen inside the M25, which is where the majority of BA frequent flyers live and/or work
DaveS and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Of course, even now she doesn't have to shop there!
HarryHolden68 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Raffles
Morrisons - rarely seen inside the M25, which is where the majority of BA frequent flyers live and/or work
There are over 20 of them actually. Not in North Kensington Notting Hill, but there is one bang slap in the middle of Ealing Broadway, should you venture into such exotic parts of the metropolis.
dnajockey, Gastrocnemius and AJA_ like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are over 20 of them actually. Not in North Kensington Notting Hill, but there is one bang slap in the middle of Ealing Broadway, should you venture into such exotic parts of the metropolis.
No chance :-)

I need BA to do a deal with Partridges.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Of course, even now she doesn't have to shop there!
Please desist from spreading these mischievous rumours. She sometimes reads over my shoulder!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Waitrose or Sainsbury are both good for me. The former because it's my local corner shop and I'm in there every day. The latter because I have about 45,000 nectar points looking to be put to good use (worst case it will have to be spent on Nero coffees...)
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And an even bigger one in East Ealing Acton :-)
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: DC *S
Which nation are you referring to?

Avios won't tell me, but I am reassured that there is a deal in place. It won't be disclosed until after 18th January.

In simple terms:

Waitrose - very likely in my view as John Lewis / Waitrose has already announced it is about to launch nationally the loyalty scheme it trialled in a few towns earlier this year. It is also possible that Waitrose gets the BOB contract.

Sainsburys - unlikely because of Nectar, which they won't be dropping. Allowing Nectar points to convert to Avios would be tricky and, in any case, the exchange rate would be something like 3:2 at best. This would mean the earning rate at Sainsbury's for shopping would be so pitiful it wouldn't move the needle in slightest (2.4 Avios per £1 at Tesco did move the needle). Avios also wants a high profile deal and being one of 100 Nectar redemption partners is no better than being one of 100 at Clubcard. The only reason not to dismiss this is that the Avios person overseeing the supermarket deal used to work at Sainsburys.

M&S - difficult to see how it would integrate into Sparks, too small, too expensive (to the extent that no-one would drop Tesco and pay the extra at M&S just to get Avios), M&S has just lost the BOB contract

For People in NI there are no Waitrose or John Lewis, so i assume you are referring solely to the English nation?
sentosa likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by AJA_
And an even bigger one in East Ealing Acton :-)
For all you estate agents out there, Kilburn is now North Maida Vale.......
AJA_ likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Hoping it's LIDL myself

Seriously though, if it's Waitrose there's no way I'll move there, I just can't afford to shop there regularly.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by joeninety
For People in NI there are no Waitrose or John Lewis, so i assume you are referring solely to the English nation?
Well if we are getting into semantics, I always thought that 'Britain' included England, Wales and Scotland; whereas it was the United Kingdom that brought NI into the fold.

I'll get my coat, very very quickly

(and in my defence, BHD was always one of my favourite lounges!)
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
If its Waitrose they might as well rename to English Airways.

Here in Scotland I think we have 3 or 4 stores in total.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joeninety
As Boris now assumes that you are merging with that lot down South, I doubt BA is too bothered :-)

Originally Posted by smokie36

Just about equal to BA's daily Scottish departures then!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by smokie36

Surprisingly 7, plus Gretna services. Nothing in the more civilised part of the country though.

Just about equal to BA's daily Scottish departures then!
Which shows what a London and South East-centric decision they've made.
smokie36 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.