Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more Avios from Tesco Clubcard [ends 18th January 2021]

Old Oct 12, 20, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

The Tesco / British Airways Executive Club partnership is over.

The last day to earn Avios by converting your Tesco Clubcard points is 18th January.

I am guessing that there must be a replacement in the works by Avios. Obviously the number of points transferred will have dropped sharply in recent years as Tesco methodically killed off most ways of earning them, but it is still big business. In 2013, 2.5 BILLION Avios came from Tesco.

(Exclusive) story on my site here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/1...esco-clubcard/

The official ba.com line, which sounds like the lawyers got involved looking at the wording, is here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...shopping/tesco

Since I was the official 'keeper' of the FT Tesco thread for almost a decade, it's sad to see it go. I'm sure some FT'ers still have a Birds Eye Beef'n'Gravy in their freezer .....
Old Oct 12, 20, 1:23 am

Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Spire
It's been a minority sport for a while now....
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Could it not be Tesco that pulled the deal? After all the Clubcard transfer rate always seemed rather generous and Tesco may be removing their more generous partners because after all there's not much competition in the supermarket loyalty field.
In that case we may see the Virgin partnership disappear soon too, the timescales of their contract with Virgin may see this announced at a different time.
Another possibility is Virgin have made a deal with Tesco to become an exclusive partner in return for selling miles to Tesco much more cheaply. They might have also promised big promotion of their partnership among the Virgin Group as Flying Club has become part of Virgin Red. (Virgin Red is meant to be a Virgin wide loyalty scheme and Flying Club miles are being rebranded Virgin Red points or something like that) I don't think any of the companies that participate in Virgin Red have any ties to other supermarkets (now that Virgin Trains, with their tie to Nectar, is gone). So it's possible Virgin Red becomes an official Tesco partner on the condition they were made exclusive.
I really don't think this would be BA's decision alone. If Tesco wanted to continue on the same terms I'm sure BA would renew. In this current environment I don't see Sainsbury's, Waitrose or anyone else rushing to be BA's supermarket partner, but I can see Virgin undercutting them to demand exclusivity or Tesco just deciding to remove some of the more generous options.
DavidPM likes this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:05 am

I'd like to see them replaced with Nectar points. I earn far more of them than I do clubcard points....
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Good. I cordially detest Tesco. I hope that they strike a deal with a supermarket where itís more agreeable to shop.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:18 am

Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Good. I cordially detest Tesco. I hope that they strike a deal with a supermarket where itís more agreeable to shop.
Totally agree. Iím voting for Fortnums and Paxtons!!!
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Mrs Harry is with you here. She has been waiting for this day for a long time.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Tesco are under new management, and Mr Murphy will naturally be focusing on initiatives that add real value to their business in the current climate.

The retailer has been on a simplification drive for years under Dave Lewis - Ken is simply continuing this with a view to reinvesting in the core U.K. business.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post
Totally agree. Iím voting for Fortnums and Paxtons!!!
Hmm, not sure either of these qualify as 'supermarkets' - although if you live in Jermyn Street or St James' (in which case, lucky you) then I would concede your point, assuming you are not interested in the Tesco on Haymarket.

Waitrose (plus John Lewis) would suit me as an Avios partner as we have two that are local to us; our Tescos (of which there are four within staggering distance) are all the small types. Since we lost our M&S food store (now a gym - grrrr) the fall-back for us is Whole Foods or some of the local delis. The last time I went to a big Tesco I found it a bit depressing TBH.

Morrisons is useless for us; not even sure where the nearest one to us is.

As ever, each to their own.
James91 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry View Post
I'd like to see them replaced with Nectar points. I earn far more of them than I do clubcard points....
Likewise, I've got a mountain of Nectar points which I've been saving in case there's ever a decent conversion opportunity...
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I think this is BA driven. They have been making very bullish statements about Avios growth in 2021 which make no sense unless there are some big deals in the pipeline.
Old Oct 12, 20, 2:53 am

Terrible news.
Old Oct 12, 20, 3:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
The official ba.com line, which sounds like the lawyers got involved looking at the wording, is here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...shopping/tesco
.... which, on a day of arrivals and departures, features this rather bizarre image. Is this Doyle and Cruz ?

Betteronacamel and James91 like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 3:38 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel View Post
Hmm, not sure either of these qualify as 'supermarkets' - although if you live in Jermyn Street or St James' (in which case, lucky you) then I would concede your point, assuming you are not interested in the Tesco on Haymarket.

Waitrose (plus John Lewis) would suit me as an Avios partner as we have two that are local to us; our Tescos (of which there are four within staggering distance) are all the small types. Since we lost our M&S food store (now a gym - grrrr) the fall-back for us is Whole Foods or some of the local delis. The last time I went to a big Tesco I found it a bit depressing TBH.

Morrisons is useless for us; not even sure where the nearest one to us is.

As ever, each to their own.
Even for those of us who live within a short walk of Fortnums, none us see it as a supermarket.

Harrods Food Hall covers that for us

M
Scots_Al, daftboy, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 20, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry View Post
Same here. I live in a town with no Tescos in it.

T

Search this Thread
Search Engine: