Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini-Rant. "Enjoy your Menu!"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Mini-Rant. "Enjoy your Menu!"

Sorry, mini-rant. I haven't been on here in months but had time to burn today. I've just seen a youtube video of BA's First Class with boxes. All the boxes have "Enjoy your Menu!"

I just hate that phrase. Enjoy! Enjoy your meal! Enjoy your menu!

Exclamation, a noun - exclamation of amazement: cry, call, shout, yell, shriek, roar, bellow, interjection, sudden utterance; expletive; rare ejaculation.

Hopefully not the latter!.
Am I being told that even if it's cr@p, I should still like it?

Using an exclamation mark when writing is rather like shouting or raising your voice when speaking. You should avoid using exclamation marks in formal writing, unless absolutely necessary. ...

Like I say, mini-rant.

Last edited by ComputerCommuter; Sep 10, 2020 at 8:01 am
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
oh good, i thought it had been far too long since we discussed this
Dan72, tetudc, kosy91 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VSLover
oh good, i thought it had been far too long since we discussed this
Apologies, I didn't know it had been. Have you a link to the last thread. As I said, I haven't been lurking for a while.

Mods - Takedown if inappropriate or covered

PS VS. What was the outcome?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:00 am

oh i was being serious. i love the debate over this frankly! with limited travel, it is difficult to find things to get worked up over anymore. the DYKWIA thread is proof enough!

but the entire conceit is ridiculous in my opinion and regardless of any etymological arguments, using MENU in this context is completely out of bounds from normal and standard communication!
Dan72, justin_krusty and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover
oh i was being serious. i love the debate over this frankly! with limited travel, it is difficult to find things to get worked up over anymore. the DYKWIA thread is proof enough!

but the entire conceit is ridiculous in my opinion and regardless of any etymological arguments, using MENU in this context is completely out of bounds from normal and standard communication!
The DYKWIA. I had one on my first CE flight from Glasgow. The guy just didn't understand that boarding was from the back to front for social distancing. "I'm in Business" he kept telling the gate staff.

I totally agree. Saying Enjoy your menu! when you probably have no or little options to choose from is crass
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
You do know that the second meal is to eat the cardboard box?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I wish I had known that last week. I am sure it would have paired quite well with the Nicholas Feuillatte champagne
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Still better than the actual second meal in Y
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Do they serve ketchup with that?
Jambon87 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:30 am

wait do they warm the cardboard box now? or still a safety risk??
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Using an exclamation mark when writing is rather like shouting or raising your voice when speaking. You should avoid using exclamation marks in formal writing, unless absolutely necessary. ...
The world is moving towards conversational language. Part of my job is managing internal IT comms in a fairly large organisation I work for, and to give you an example, our corporate guidelines have changed and all our internal emails now start with Hello <name>! instead of Dear Colleague (except for HR).

If you Google around for Conversational Copywriting, you'll see it's a new trend, mainly drivern by the rise of chatbots etc and brands apply it to other communications to keep everything consistent.

IAG will never please everyone, on one hand, they have their more traditional Mr Smith, usually travelling in First Class or Club World who likes to be greeted by his name and wants to have a formal service. On the other hand, you're getting a lot more younger travellers who want to get a taste of very affordable luxury travel. It's difficult to balance both as both bring money to the business.

I think 'Enjoy your meal!' is short yet still polite.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:37 am

Just stick with "enjoy!"

or "You Could Be Enjoying Caviar on Lufthansa"
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Have a look at the main thread and see all the "treats" you are missing out on menu / meal related ...

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Caviar is so cliche now. I've had it enough times that the luxury has worn off. I do wonder why people still pine for it while travelling.
LCY8737, VSLover and HIDDY like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TTmex
Caviar is so cliche now. I've had it enough times that the luxury has worn off. I do wonder why people still pine for it while travelling.
Fish eggs!!!
LCY8737 and TTmex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.