Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of BA MidHaul

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
European competitors are not competitors on the LHR-DME/AMM/CAI routes.

SU is the only competitor to MOW, with true business class and 777 with flatbeds. If your budget extends to the traditional J fare (it's always been £1200+) or work has a business class policy, then you would be advised to travel in comfort on SU.

AF did pre covid, fly La Premiere F , CDG to BEY.
This included J, P E and Y.

Flight time was roughly that of LHR-DME
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I've tried booking them loads of times for Central Asia but they just won't ticket an itinerary from London... and in the one case I booked them from Berlin I got a historic case of food poisoning the day before
You can fly on separate tickets without a visa, if you’re willing to take the self-connect risk.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Confus
You can fly on separate tickets without a visa, if you’re willing to take the self-connect risk.
Not if you need to transfer to Novosibirsk as is the norm-ish for most S7 international connections. And even if you don't and just transfer in DME/SVO it's definitely risky if you haven't checked in beforehand for your second flight. It's easier to just go on Aeroflot.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
A datamark that Swiss offered A330/A340 service to Cairo from Zurich pre-COVID.
However, in S21 this route is now scheduled to be offered by an Airbus A321 rather than a wide-body.

They have followed BA's lead removing wide-body service to Cairo.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:01 pm

Just booked AMM-LHR for October 1, looks like the Club World product is still being offered.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jude4000
Just booked AMM-LHR for October 1, looks like the Club World product is still being offered.
That’s strange, I can still see the flight scheduled as a short haul A321neo.

What hinted to CW?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jude4000
Looks like Club Europe to me:

There's no CW product on the narrow body fleet anymore.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:45 pm

5hh35m in CE - why would anyone fly this over RJ if at all possible?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
5hh35m in CE - why would anyone fly this over RJ if at all possible?
Because it's cheaper than RJ?

​​​​​​

So many variables with this though. As part of a thru-ticket starting/ending beyond London could well dictate you fly one and not the other.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Mar 10, 2021 at 7:57 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Because it's cheaper than RJ?

Sure, although I'd say that CE seating with 29 inches of pitch more than reflects the differential in price. That's 3 inches less than what you get in RJ Y.

Just over £200 one-way to upgrade from 29-inch pitch (let's face it, Y) seat to a fully flat seat for this >5hr flight sounds like a bargain, don't you think?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:13 pm

Sure, although I'd say that CE seating with 29 inches of pitch more than reflects the differential in price. That's 3 inches less than what you get in RJ Y.

Just over £200 one-way to upgrade from 29-inch pitch (let's face it, Y) seat to a fully flat seat for this >5hr flight sounds like a bargain, don't you think?
I guess a lot depends who's paying. If it's me out of my own wallet then I'm probably with you on RJ (although not all services are operated by 787's with a flat bed in which case the difference may be less clean cut in the justification than you make out). RJ being a dry airline doesn't bother me but those anticipating a financial offset by steadily drinking their upgrade charge in champagne may be in for a shock.

If it's a corporate travel trip and the company travel policy dictates cheapest fare in class of service I'm entitled to travel in then BA wins hands down and it's then difficult for me to justify flying RJ or anyone else because BA is significantly cheaper. Can't help thinking in the current environment this is going to be less of an issue.
​​​​

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Mar 10, 2021 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I guess a lot depends who's paying. If it's me out of my own wallet then I'm probably with you on RJ (although not all services are operated by 787's with a flat bed in which case the difference may be less clean cut in the justification than you make out). RJ being a dry airline doesn't bother me but those anticipating a financial offset by steadily drinking their upgrade charge in champagne may be in for a shock.

If it's a corporate travel trip and the company travel policy dictates cheapest fare in class of service I'm entitled to travel in then BA wins hands down and it's then difficult for me to justify flying RJ or anyone else because BA is significantly cheaper. Can't help thinking in the current environment this is going to be less of an issue.
​​​​
1. Not sure whether Covid has affected the service offering, but RJ is not normally a dry airline.
2. Whichever way you cut it, the BA 32N seat is just not acceptable when you're paying for J on a 5hr flight. As I said before, RJ's Y seat has more legroom. Even if you get the recliner, it's going to seem like the height of luxury in comparison.
3. If I'm stuck on BA due to travel policy, then I would just book an exit seat in Y (for free, with BA Gold). It would certainly be much more comfortable.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche

Wow. Yes, a bargain, I agree. I flew BA last time I took that route; looks like next time will be RJ!
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver

Seats that can be converted to Club Europe have 30" pitch - admittedly still poor, but not quite as bad!
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
Seats that can be converted to Club Europe have 30" pitch - admittedly still poor, but not quite as bad!
Good point, but do the Neos have convertible seats? My understanding was that it is just the usual table in the middle (upon further checking) a blocked middle seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.