End of BA MidHaul

Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Just out of interest, is there any particular reason why these routes couldn't operate a 787 profitably long term (even in these times) and maintain their current pricing levels (and add in WTP+ price point), is it solely size?

I'm not an expert at all on aviation but I'd imagine there'd be fuel efficiencies from the prev mid-hauls, better hard product for customers (perhaps not their concern, but helps with competition on the route!) and increased cargo loads? Not as much fuel efficiency as the NEOs for the load factors I suspect, but perhaps the rest overshadows that?
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by ocprodigy
Just out of interest, is there any particular reason why these routes couldn't operate a 787 profitably long term (even in these times) and maintain their current pricing levels (and add in WTP+ price point), is it solely size?

I'm not an expert at all on aviation but I'd imagine there'd be fuel efficiencies from the prev mid-hauls, better hard product for customers (perhaps not their concern, but helps with competition on the route!) and increased cargo loads? Not as much fuel efficiency as the NEOs for the load factors I suspect, but perhaps the rest overshadows that?
Like you, not an expert, but a wide body engine will have higher fuel consumption than a narrow body engine. The engines on a 777/787 are far bigger, and develop far higher thrust, than those on an A320. Your comment above about fuel efficiencies is relevant to A320CEO v A320NEO, not for 787 v A320.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long haul plane turnaround time also make longer distance out and back routes more marginal, both in terms of plane utilisation and crew hours.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Plus will need more cabin crew.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Long haul plane turnaround time also make longer distance out and back routes more marginal, both in terms of plane utilisation and crew hours.
For Amman at least, turnaround time is not an issue, the flight arrives at night and leaves the next morning.
I do wonder if one solution for Amman might be extending one of the TLV flights (similar to I think MCT which used to stop elsewhere in the Gulf). They could route one TLV flight via AMM. Would rather 1hr longer on a 777 or 787 than a shorthaul A320.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:44 pm

TLV seems to do fairly well on its own, so I'm not sure a tag flight makes sense (not to mention possible air rights issues, security etc).
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does BA still have a cabin crew base at CAI? I went there once and there were mainly local CAI crew on my flights.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If it was 787 vs A321, the time lost on turnaround is made up for in flight. The 787 would do LHR-AMM around 20-25 minutes quicker each way than an A321 at the most economic speeds.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
Does BA still have a cabin crew base at CAI? I went there once and there were mainly local CAI crew on my flights.
Long gone unfortunately - CAI crew used to be part of the crew of many if not all Middle Eastern destination flights. Along with HKG, CCS and GRU based crew to their respective markets. I had the most expertly poured Kir Royale from one of the CAI based crew where they slowly poured the Cassis down the swizzle stick so that it sunk below the champagne - have never experienced that in J or F since and that Kir Royale was poured well over 15yrs ago.

I'm not sure whether the India crew bases are still operating. My gut instinct says they aren't but I don't know for certain.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:16 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Given that the A321 Mid-hauls have been the bread and butter of the majority of my flying over the past 3.5 years plus, I think I’m kinda going to miss them!
DYKWIA, BA6501 and OpenSky like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Long gone unfortunately - CAI crew used to be part of the crew of many if not all Middle Eastern destination flights. Along with HKG, CCS and GRU based crew to their respective markets. I had the most expertly poured Kir Royale from one of the CAI based crew where they slowly poured the Cassis down the swizzle stick so that it sunk below the champagne
There’s hope yet for your Kir Royale - CAI remains a crew base with some very senior colleagues there.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft

I'm not sure whether the India crew bases are still operating. My gut instinct says they aren't but I don't know for certain.
As are the India bases, in fact they were due for expansion prior to covid
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles
CAI remains a crew base with some very senior colleagues there.
That's good to hear

​​
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles
There’s hope yet for your Kir Royale - CAI remains a crew base with some very senior colleagues there.
I'm glad to be stood corrected - if only for my Kir Royale
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BAeuro
So thanks to Raffles for bringing this to my attention. It seems BA will end Mid Haul operations.

So a few months ago BA axed SVO and BEY. That didn’t leave many Mid Haul routes left, so imho it seemed like the fleet wouldn’t be needed/practical.

It seems Moscow and Amman will become Short Haul routes. Yes you heard me right. Moscow on the A320 and Amman on A321neo.

Moscow has also changed to flight numbers BA881 and BA883. Amman to BA312.

EDIT: Cairo has also switched to become a short haul route (BA400).

That's me sticking with Aeroflot!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.