Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of BA MidHaul

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Probably you misunderstood the statement in the document.
You would not get any downgrade compensation, however, you still have the option to get a full refund for the unflown parts of your ticket.
The downgrade refund is for passengers originally booked in First and World Traveler Plus.
It looks to say that the OP can complain using using the web form and this will be dealt with ‘accordingly’. I’m guessing accordingly might well mean a few Avios.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
It looks to say that the OP can complain using using the web form and this will be dealt with ‘accordingly’. I’m guessing accordingly might well mean a few Avios.
Or a voucher worth GBP50-100.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Thank you for your replies. This upcoming trip is, regrettably, going to be my last hurrah with BA, at least as far as travel to CAI is concerned, after 11 years of a couple or more annual CW trips there and back from JFK. Chasing some Avios or a modest voucher feels more like unnecessarily adding a little insult to much injury.

I was checking return business class fares from CAI to LHR the other day, just to see what BA's game plan might be for this reduction of their "premium cabin" service to something approximating Ryanair/Easyjet levels. The fare has gone down, by maybe something like 20% or 30%. Nothing IMHO commensurate with the real reduction in the quality of service. What has happened is that Egyptair, their only non-stop competitor on the route, flying B787-9s and B777Ws on their main daily flight (the second daily flight is an A320/B737, with a 36-48 inch pitch 2x2 seating in business), have jacked their business class fares way up, by something like 50% so far as I can tell. Isn't that the way it always goes? The difference between the two return fares is now an eye-watering $800 ($1,000 vs $1,800!). MS must be delighted with BA's strategy.......
The two seem to competing heavily in economy class (MS economy being, again IMHO, the reasonable alternative to BA's CE: 31-33 inch pitch, depending on the aircraft type) with fares running in the $400-$450 range.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:08 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Moscow has also changed to flight numbers BA881 and BA883. Amman to BA312.
Isn't (wasn't?) BA312 LHR-CDG ?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
Thank you for your replies. This upcoming trip is, regrettably, going to be my last hurrah with BA, at least as far as travel to CAI is concerned, after 11 years of a couple or more annual CW trips there and back from JFK. Chasing some Avios or a modest voucher feels more like unnecessarily adding a little insult to much injury.

I was checking return business class fares from CAI to LHR the other day, just to see what BA's game plan might be for this reduction of their "premium cabin" service to something approximating Ryanair/Easyjet levels. The fare has gone down, by maybe something like 20% or 30%. Nothing IMHO commensurate with the real reduction in the quality of service. What has happened is that Egyptair, their only non-stop competitor on the route, flying B787-9s and B777Ws on their main daily flight (the second daily flight is an A320/B737, with a 36-48 inch pitch 2x2 seating in business), have jacked their business class fares way up, by something like 50% so far as I can tell. Isn't that the way it always goes? The difference between the two return fares is now an eye-watering $800 ($1,000 vs $1,800!). MS must be delighted with BA's strategy.......
As SU must be. It's the only carrier now providing a premium service to MOW.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You should see what ME did to their fares since BA pulled out too... easy 3x more in Y and 2x more in J.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
Isn't (wasn't?) BA312 LHR-CDG ?
Definitely AMM as of the 25th October.

Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:37 am

"Originally Posted by KARFA
Here is the BA policy for the route changes. Unless I am misunderstanding this, I think you are due a refund if your ticket was issued prior to the change. Your booked cabin should show on your original email e-ticket, and I would imagine for your booking it will show Club World".

This is a good one. The e-ticket indeed states "CW". A voucher under the Covid-19 policy has been offered, but the refund is denied.
Could be that I called during the weekend, and the staff did not want take the responsibility.
With info you provided, I will try again, out of interest.

On a different note, imagine a 4-hour flight on A320neo in ET, many are flying with kids of various ages - no entertainment, no drink, and no food (apart from sky-priced). Of course, one can get prepared - dowloading movies, filling water bottles, making sandwiches... just imagine that smell in the cabin, the chaos, and the dirt.
It can't be for real
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Primavera
On a different note, imagine a 4-hour flight on A320neo in ET, many are flying with kids of various ages - no entertainment, no drink, and no food (apart from sky-priced). Of course, one can get prepared - dowloading movies, filling water bottles, making sandwiches... just imagine that smell in the cabin, the chaos, and the dirt.
It can't be for real
It's definitely doable with row 12 exit-row seats. Sleep less before the day of the flight and sleep during the flight, after 4h you wake up in London. This is my strategy for IST-LHR flights which is 4 hours in ET.

Although, if someone is in favor of sleeping early before the day of the flight to be vigorous during the day of the flight; these flights are not the flights that you would prefer to take.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
It seems Moscow is going to suffer another blow in W21. It goes down to a 7 weekly service from previously 14 and 21 weekly.

In the space of a year, the route has gone from a 3 daily long haul service from 2 airports (DME + SVO), to a daily short haul A320 from just DME. A sign of the times.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
It seems Moscow is going to suffer another blow in W21. It goes down to a 7 weekly service from previously 14 and 21 weekly.

In the space of a year, the route has gone from a 3 daily long haul service from 2 airports (DME + SVO), to a daily short haul A320 from just DME. A sign of the times.
Not to mention the loss of LED as well a few years ago.

Would be interesting to know if they’ve got any alleviation on the ASA for this. ISTR the 21 flights a week were on a ‘use it or lose it’ basis, which is why they were maintained in a previous downturn even if they were empty. Either way, sad times indeed.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:36 pm

Well, aside from Covid, the UK is one of the very few European countries who won't qualify for the online Russian visa and, beyond Moscow, there are very few connections possible with S7 (almost nothing outside of the Russian Federation).
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by 13901
Well, aside from Covid, the UK is one of the very few European countries who won't qualify for the online Russian visa and, beyond Moscow, there are very few connections possible with S7 (almost nothing outside of the Russian Federation).
Thats not entirely true. You S7 flies to NRT and HKG, albeit with connections.
Impractical.

I am somewhat mad at this change but i hope BA doesn't make this permanent.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by OpenSky
Thats not entirely true. You S7 flies to NRT and HKG, albeit with connections.
Impractical.
And you need a visa for the domestic leg (Novosibirsk or Vladivostok). What I meant to say is that, between BA and S7, you can't do much beside connections to Russia. I've tried booking them loads of times for Central Asia but they just won't ticket an itinerary from London... and in the one case I booked them from Berlin I got a historic case of food poisoning the day before
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Joshm300
Real shame and surprise re Moscow (although I’m first to admit it is a very short route for a flat bed).

Assuming Covid subsides I wonder if the short haul aircraft will be a winter thing and it will go back to a wide body in the summer, based on what we’ve seen in recent years?

Last summer this route was always really full on the 787, I never saw reward availability in First and it is clearly a business heavy route (in both directions) and a lot of Russians choose to take the “prestige” of ba over Aeroflot. However, they do like the flat beds to the extent they would do take off and landing lying down if it weren’t for crew interventions, so I think BA will lose out massively here, when I believe all Aeroflot services to London feature lie flat seating.

The 787 I was on two weeks ago was pretty full both ways and I’ve just got one of the last window seats in club in early October, so there are people booking it.

The mid haul a321 did feel really tatty in economy when I did it last summer, but it was 100x better than a NEO for that route.

I think I’d be more likely to move to Finnair for Tier points and comfier seating if the 10.20 goes back to being an A350 and there’s an okay connection to SVO.
I think the flat bed thing was more a function of the time change. The red eye flight was a short, so the bed was welcomed to go to sleep right away and wake up ready to go into town to start a work day.

SU will up their game, and hopefully make up for this loss.

I remember when BA would serve caviar on the afternoon DME-LHR flight, in those days a 747-400.

I will miss this.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.