Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Rubecula
It may work in part.

Test negative on arrival and then take another test after 7 days, if that is also negative then out of quarantine after 10 days. Still a major hassle but not quite so bad.

Not something that would tempt me to fly BA at the moment but YMMV.
One of NZ's recent cases was a child in quarantine who tested negative on arrival, then returned a positive test on day 12 of their quarantine period (article I read: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...cases/12563404) so it seems unlikely that the 14 day quarantine period could be meaningfully (or usefully) shortened by testing in this way...

It'd be useful to have a destination government recognised negative test that could be obtained privately without choosing to lie to the NHS about having symptoms in order to use the free NHS testing capability...
irishguy28 and florens like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I hope this will start soon. I've looked at private Covid testing but it's extremely difficult to find any clinic that can guarantee a turn around of results in the timescales that some countries are demanding. For example BGI is within 72 hrs. There's no way most people would pay on the off chance that they receive their results in time. That's why, for all the right reasons people have posted, I'd be very interested to know which destinations are accepting NHS UK text messages as proof on arrival. I'm particularly interested in Barbados. I haven't done a test yet so not sure if you receive an email also? It would really help people feel more confident about being able to travel, as well as knowing that they are currently Covid negative.
Cyprus, Aruba and Kenya are countries I've heard have accepted NHS tests.

You get a text or/and an email with the NHS test. A certificate isn't routine, however I have heard you can get a letter on NHS headed paper with your test result on if you ask and it's hit and miss if you get that.

​​​​​Cheap airline testing before departure is the way to go to get people flying again. Few want to shell out £150 on a private test, myself included.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
It would work for a sizeable number of BA destinations that don't require quarantine for UK arrivals but do require tests. Greece, Cyprus, Russia, UAE and Kenya being good examples.
It would only work if Boots is added to the list of accepted test providers by the countries in question.

Otherwise, I can provide you with a nice certificate from "Boats The Chemists" for less than the price you mentioned for your private test and everyone is happy - no?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm among those who think that the tests (at least as they are now) are no panacea because of the time limits involved. As someone travelling from business, pre-covid, I'd typically travel every week, often for short periods and many people are the same. Are we supposed to do, what 3-4 new tests a week for work to resume? We'll probably all have bleeding noses after 2-3 weeks of that!
Pre-departure tests are no panacea, but I am afraid for your nose that it is the trend and is being imposed by an increasing number of countries. Especially for arrival from high-risk areas.
It is only meant to reduce risk, not eliminate it. Some Asian countries now require PCR tests pre-departure high-risk countries, plus test on arrival and quarantine. If you test positive on arrival you are sent to a dedicated facility, if you test negative, you que quarantined at home or hotel or other facilities. Of course, there is the risk of forgery of pre-departure tests in some countries.

Sputum RT-PCR qualify as PCR tests. One big advantage is that it does not require the personnel and heavy procedures (change protective equipment after each test in order not to infect the next patient) of a swab test. But it could be less reliable if the patient does not spit sputum.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It would only work if Boots is added to the list of accepted test providers by the countries in question.

Otherwise, I can provide you with a nice certificate from "Boats The Chemists" for less than the price you mentioned for your private test and everyone is happy - no?
Not all countries are that strict though. Aruba and Kenya just require proof you had a PCR test. No list of test providers. It would work for some BA destinations I am sure and that's why they are planning it.

However I am not snubbing your offer of a boats the chemist certificate. How much we talking? Guessing stamp and signature are extra?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
FCO say Bermuda just requires a negative covid test 72 hours prior to departure. Nothing about repeat tests on arrival. If so who arranges and pays for such tests?
Bermuda Government is charging $75 which covers all on island required tests (all 4 if you stay for 14+ days). Government will email with prearranged testing times and location....
Koru Flyer and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greyt
Bermuda Government is charging $75 which covers all on island required tests (all 4 if you stay for 14+ days). Government will email with prearranged testing times and location....
Not a bad set up then to be fair.
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
Is that distinction really relevant in the context of someone wanting a test to go on holiday? Essential workers are meant to be referred by their employer - asking them to refer you when you’re going on holiday rather than performing your essential function? And of course you are agreeing to stay home until your result and that of the person with symptoms comes back, hopefully negative: interesting way to plan/risk your trip.
Employer referal was only required in the very early stages whilst capacity was been created.
I would not clasify myself as an essential worker, but as I work in IT for an essential retailer I am able to self-refer myself at anytime with or without symptoms.

Last edited by bakera; Aug 19, 2020 at 2:31 am Reason: corrected typo
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you opt for test on arrival at KEF you do not need to self isolate. If pre booked I think the cost is about £50.
Thought you are released from quarantine if you take a test on arrival?
That is changing, effective 19th August - https://www.covid.is/categories/tour...ing-to-iceland

You will now get the choice to either quarantine for 14-days or have an initial test on arrival and then quarantine for 5-days before taking a second test after which you will be released from quarantine if the second test is negative.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Presumably the labs processing the tests for Boots have a doctor who signs results letters, or Boots will have a doctor who signs a letter, the same as the current private tests. Thus no need to be added to any list. Most likely it is the same labs doing processing the tests and Boots will be cheaper based on volume and having a medical tech take the samples, not a private GP.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by elwe
Presumably the labs processing the tests for Boots have a doctor who signs results letters, or Boots will have a doctor who signs a letter, the same as the current private tests. Thus no need to be added to any list. Most likely it is the same labs doing processing the tests and Boots will be cheaper based on volume and having a medical tech take the samples, not a private GP.
I don’t see the necessity of having a doctor involved in these tests at all and doubt that they would use one when not necessary given the expense unless this was stipulated as a requirement in the country requiring it.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I have yet to see an entry/transit test requirement which requires a doctor's review or approval. It is the test result, not the diagnosis, which is of interest to border authorities.

However, it is important to check the requirements of the specific entry/transit country(ies) as some of them have very specific requirements which may make sense to the countries in terms of their local medical community, but make little sense in the context of the country in which the test is taken. These include certifications with stamps, passport numbers to match and so on,
navylad likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 5:43 am

In the meantime before any of this comes to anything, could someone please advise whether you always receive an email as well as a text message following NHS Covid-19 testing and whether or not it includes the date of the test? Thank you.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:17 am

In the meantime before any of this comes to anything, could someone please advise whether you always receive an email as well as a text message following NHS Covid-19 testing and whether or not it includes the date of the test? Thank you.
If you supply both you get both.
No dates given at all on the text or email.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The date of the text and email is accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.