Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

Old Aug 15, 20, 8:52 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,745
BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

This is interesting. Maybe a quicker and cheaper option for BA passengers to satisfy entry requirements. Could be up abs running in 4 weeks


https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-passengers-coronavirus-tests-flight-a9668431.html%3famp


​​​​
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 9:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK
Programs: IHG Gold
Posts: 377
Not much use, however, if the destination country requires that you quarantine and does not offer facility for a negative Covid test.

It's a good idea, but one that requires some coordinated international cooperation.
florens likes this.
Bohinjska Bistrica is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 9:19 am
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,745
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Not much use, however, if the destination country requires that you quarantine and does not offer facility for a negative Covid test.

It's a good idea, but one that requires some coordinated international cooperation.
It would work for a sizeable number of BA destinations that don't require quarantine for UK arrivals but do require tests. Greece, Cyprus, Russia, UAE and Kenya being good examples.
kosy91 likes this.
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 10:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,416
It could be usable for arrivals too. Imagine if you could do a test on arrival and avoid the 14-day quarantine.
13901 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 10:16 am
  #5  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,887
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
It could be usable for arrivals too. Imagine if you could do a test on arrival and avoid the 14-day quarantine.
This will never work. You could test negative but that will never replace quarantine due to the incubation period.
florens is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 10:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 912
Originally Posted by florens View Post
This will never work. You could test negative but that will never replace quarantine due to the incubation period.
It may work in part.

Test negative on arrival and then take another test after 7 days, if that is also negative then out of quarantine after 10 days. Still a major hassle but not quite so bad.

Not something that would tempt me to fly BA at the moment but YMMV.
Rubecula is online now  
Old Aug 15, 20, 10:39 am
  #7  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,745
Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
It may work in part.

Test negative on arrival and then take another test after 7 days, if that is also negative then out of quarantine after 10 days. Still a major hassle but not quite so bad.

Not something that would tempt me to fly BA at the moment but YMMV.
It's not worth all that faff for the sake of a 4 day saving.

This idea is more about helping BA pax have the necessary documents for entry requirements at its destinations. Ones who still insist on quarantines will likely have little custom.
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 10:40 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,416
Originally Posted by florens View Post
This will never work. You could test negative but that will never replace quarantine due to the incubation period.
Germany is doing it, Italy is joining it and Iím sure others are too. And you could mandate a second test soon afterwards. It might not be 100% safe but Iíd argue itís preferable than shutting down the entire air transport system, causing hundreds of thousands of job losses. I speak only for myself but I donít see the current system (half baked track and trace, no app, half of testing capacity unused) as a long term strategy.
13901 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 11:10 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,410
Iceland is now doing it. Second test 4-5 days after arrival. With a second negative, one is released from quarantine. That is a 9-10 day time savings. Hardly "faff" even for a single day.
SxMan likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 11:22 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
It could be usable for arrivals too. Imagine if you could do a test on arrival and avoid the 14-day quarantine.
I would like for that to happen.
BXK_Oz is online now  
Old Aug 15, 20, 11:25 am
  #11  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,745
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Iceland is now doing it. Second test 4-5 days after arrival. With a second negative, one is released from quarantine. That is a 9-10 day time savings. Hardly "faff" even for a single day.
Thought you are released from quarantine if you take a test on arrival?
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 11:50 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 30,133
If you opt for test on arrival at KEF you do not need to self isolate. If pre booked I think the cost is about £50.
SxMan likes this.
KARFA is online now  
Old Aug 15, 20, 12:05 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 25,788
I'm among those who think that the tests (at least as they are now) are no panacea because of the time limits involved. As someone travelling from business, pre-covid, I'd typically travel every week, often for short periods and many people are the same. Are we supposed to do, what 3-4 new tests a week for work to resume? We'll probably all have bleeding noses after 2-3 weeks of that!
orbitmic is offline  
Old Aug 15, 20, 12:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,285
Very good idea indeed, if tests are easier to get for those countries requiring one people may feel more inclined to travel, on the Cyprus trip advisor forum many are put off by the huge cost of private tests and some don't feel comfortable using the NHS one.
paulaf is online now  
Old Aug 15, 20, 12:47 pm
  #15  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,745
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Very good idea indeed, if tests are easier to get for those countries requiring one people may feel more inclined to travel, on the Cyprus trip advisor forum many are put off by the huge cost of private tests and some don't feel comfortable using the NHS one.
Surprised by that as it's under utilised and very quick and easy to get an NHS one. The text they send is accepted proof now in some countries.
flyingcrazy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: