Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This is interesting. Maybe a quicker and cheaper option for BA passengers to satisfy entry requirements. Could be up abs running in 4 weeks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-passengers-coronavirus-tests-flight-a9668431.html%3famp

​​​​
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Not much use, however, if the destination country requires that you quarantine and does not offer facility for a negative Covid test.

It's a good idea, but one that requires some coordinated international cooperation.
florens likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Not much use, however, if the destination country requires that you quarantine and does not offer facility for a negative Covid test.

It's a good idea, but one that requires some coordinated international cooperation.
It would work for a sizeable number of BA destinations that don't require quarantine for UK arrivals but do require tests. Greece, Cyprus, Russia, UAE and Kenya being good examples.
kosy91 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:15 am

It could be usable for arrivals too. Imagine if you could do a test on arrival and avoid the 14-day quarantine.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by 13901
It could be usable for arrivals too. Imagine if you could do a test on arrival and avoid the 14-day quarantine.
This will never work. You could test negative but that will never replace quarantine due to the incubation period.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by florens
This will never work. You could test negative but that will never replace quarantine due to the incubation period.
It may work in part.

Test negative on arrival and then take another test after 7 days, if that is also negative then out of quarantine after 10 days. Still a major hassle but not quite so bad.

Not something that would tempt me to fly BA at the moment but YMMV.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rubecula
It may work in part.

Test negative on arrival and then take another test after 7 days, if that is also negative then out of quarantine after 10 days. Still a major hassle but not quite so bad.

Not something that would tempt me to fly BA at the moment but YMMV.
It's not worth all that faff for the sake of a 4 day saving.

This idea is more about helping BA pax have the necessary documents for entry requirements at its destinations. Ones who still insist on quarantines will likely have little custom.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by florens
Germany is doing it, Italy is joining it and I’m sure others are too. And you could mandate a second test soon afterwards. It might not be 100% safe but I’d argue it’s preferable than shutting down the entire air transport system, causing hundreds of thousands of job losses. I speak only for myself but I don’t see the current system (half baked track and trace, no app, half of testing capacity unused) as a long term strategy.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Iceland is now doing it. Second test 4-5 days after arrival. With a second negative, one is released from quarantine. That is a 9-10 day time savings. Hardly "faff" even for a single day.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 13901
I would like for that to happen.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Iceland is now doing it. Second test 4-5 days after arrival. With a second negative, one is released from quarantine. That is a 9-10 day time savings. Hardly "faff" even for a single day.
Thought you are released from quarantine if you take a test on arrival?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you opt for test on arrival at KEF you do not need to self isolate. If pre booked I think the cost is about £50.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm among those who think that the tests (at least as they are now) are no panacea because of the time limits involved. As someone travelling from business, pre-covid, I'd typically travel every week, often for short periods and many people are the same. Are we supposed to do, what 3-4 new tests a week for work to resume? We'll probably all have bleeding noses after 2-3 weeks of that!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:22 am

Very good idea indeed, if tests are easier to get for those countries requiring one people may feel more inclined to travel, on the Cyprus trip advisor forum many are put off by the huge cost of private tests and some don't feel comfortable using the NHS one.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulaf
Very good idea indeed, if tests are easier to get for those countries requiring one people may feel more inclined to travel, on the Cyprus trip advisor forum many are put off by the huge cost of private tests and some don't feel comfortable using the NHS one.
Surprised by that as it's under utilised and very quick and easy to get an NHS one. The text they send is accepted proof now in some countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.