Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA teams up with Boots to offer covid19 tests

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Surprised by that as it's under utilised and very quick and easy to get an NHS one. The text they send is accepted proof now in some countries.
I agree with you i might be doing it for our holiday to Cyprus, but some people think it's a waste of valuable NHS tests and money and shouldn't be used for travel.
Stormbel likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Surprised by that as it's under utilised and very quick and easy to get an NHS one. The text they send is accepted proof now in some countries.
The NHS only provides test for those with symptoms, not those who want certification for travel.
polochick likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
The NHS only provides test for those with symptoms, not those who want certification for travel.
Apparently there's a box you can tick to say no symptoms.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm among those who think that the tests (at least as they are now) are no panacea because of the time limits involved. As someone travelling from business, pre-covid, I'd typically travel every week, often for short periods and many people are the same. Are we supposed to do, what 3-4 new tests a week for work to resume? We'll probably all have bleeding noses after 2-3 weeks of that!
There are a number of saliva tests being launched on to the market. Apparently one is in use whenever you want to meet Mr Trump.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:10 pm

Unless you are in one of the more affected areas or are going into hospital for a procedure, you (or someone you live with) are supposed to have symptoms to get an NHS test - it's not a free for all for those going on holiday!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 13901
There are a number of saliva tests being launched on to the market. Apparently one is in use whenever you want to meet Mr Trump.
Indeed, but unless I am mistaken, most countries do not accept them as yet for entry purposes as they consider them less reliable? Would be delighted to be wrong!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, but unless I am mistaken, most countries do not accept them as yet for entry purposes as they consider them less reliable? Would be delighted to be wrong!
My point was more related to arrivals in order to avoid the blunt tool of self-quarantine on return.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
and for NHS staff, prison and probation workers, court workers, religious staff, charity workers delivering frontline services, those working with the deceased, journalists, police, fire and rescue workers, military/MOD workers, the British Transport Police, those working in transport, education and childcare, social workers, those involved in critical food production or distribution and essential staff working in oil, gas, electricity or water services.
littlefish likes this.

Last edited by navylad; Aug 15, 2020 at 12:46 pm
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
and for NHS staff, prison and probation workers, court workers, religious staff, charity workers delivering frontline services, those working with the deceased, journalists, police, fire and rescue workers, the British Transport Police, those working in transport, education and childcare, social workers, those involved in critical food production or distribution and essential staff working in oil, gas, electricity or water services.
Those groups get priority but still only if they have symptoms, so that doesn’t contradict what I said at all.
Stormbel likes this.

Last edited by pauldb; Aug 15, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:43 pm

Great idea

I am planning to fly to Hungary, where I need to show not 1, but 2 negative Covid tests, that has to be done 48 hours apart from each other.

They accept NHS ones, but I would like to do the right thing and not use NHS resources for my holiday.

The only other options are private clinics where they charge £120-£150 each.

Hopefully this partnership will offer a cheaper alternative.
polochick likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:46 pm

Whilst this is true, indeed you can choose your reason as “Other”, to get the test done on NHS, and many countries accept the printed email test result from NHS.

I am not recommending this. But I am aware from travel forums that many people do this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Those groups get priority but still only if they have symptoms, so that doesn’t contradict what I said at all.
no, you don’t need symptoms if you are a key worker for example if one of you are isolating because one of your household has symptoms..
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by florens
This will never work. You could test negative but that will never replace quarantine due to the incubation period.
We all need to get over this. Tests on arrival should replacement the 14 day thing. It’s not perfect but will get the wheels moving
littlefish and stampcollector like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Whilst this is true, indeed you can choose your reason as “Other”, to get the test done on NHS, and many countries accept the printed email test result from NHS.

I am not recommending this. But I am aware from travel forums that many people do this.
Doesn't it just make sense from a general perspective to have as many people tested as possible, for whatever reason, including travel?

If someone uses the NHS test for travel purposes then finds out they're positive, that's a very good way to help reduce spread on aircraft and from a more global perspective. I really don't see anything wrong in doing this. It's all positive steps and also helps to build better data.
littlefish and allturnleft like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
no, you don’t need symptoms if you are a key worker for example if one of you are isolating because one of your household has symptoms..
Is that distinction really relevant in the context of someone wanting a test to go on holiday? Essential workers are meant to be referred by their employer - asking them to refer you when you’re going on holiday rather than performing your essential function? And of course you are agreeing to stay home until your result and that of the person with symptoms comes back, hopefully negative: interesting way to plan/risk your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.