Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why have BA removed online cancelling or moving flights facility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

You can’t now cancel an avios flight online. You can’t move a flight online , you can’t do anything in manage my booking but have to call them? Are they doing this to purposely make things difficult for people. It’s insane .... been with BA for years and really now had enough I think
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by claptonalex
You can’t now cancel an avios flight online. You can’t move a flight online , you can’t do anything in manage my booking but have to call them? Are they doing this to purposely make things difficult for people. It’s insane .... been with BA for years and really now had enough I think
just tried a date change with a Avios booking I have next year and worked fine at least to the payment page. What happens when you try?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by claptonalex
Did you make the booking recently?(like within the last couple days). I made a booking last weekend and couldn't do anything with it until a couple days later.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
All explained in the cancel / rebook thread Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
They now do not let you cancel and get a refund even on fully refundable flights using MMB. You now have to ring and it automatically disconnects you if they are busy. If you get pass that stage you hope to get answered. No idea how long the refunds will take, they said possibly a month. Not going to do that again.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I phoned on Friday for a refund. It's back on my amex card today (Sunday)

That's said, two refunds from earlier in the week haven't appeared.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: Executive Club
BA made a loss of 4 billion Euros in the last 6 months, and probably only have enough cash to keep going for another six months, hence going to a rights issue to raise more money. That's why they make it as difficult as possible for anyone to get a refund. In fairness anyone running the company would do this. They are hoping that people will not opt for a refund and have a voucher instead.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to clarify, the half yearly results reported that IAG made the EUR 4 bn loss, not BA on it's own. And this was the loss after tax and exceptional items - one of those items being the one off EUR 1.3 bn fuel overhedging loss. Cash on hand was EUR 6 bn and a total liquidity of EUR 8 bn.

In terms of difficulty getting refunds, yes BA have somewhat annoyingly turned off online refunds. However, my own personal experience is BA have never refused to refund me and if you read the board you can see many reports of people calling and getting refunds. Most are being processed and credited within a few days, with manual ones taking a few weeks.

In comparison a few of the other European legacy airline have either been outright refusing refunds and only issuing vouchers (in contravention of EC261 of course) or still have hefty refund backlogs (e.g. AY).
TTmex, AJA_, ENTP and 1 others like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 9, 2020 at 4:55 pm
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see the extensive discussion here:
Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?
ian67 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by JessicaB
BA made a loss of 4 billion Euros in the last 6 months, and probably only have enough cash to keep going for another six months, hence going to a rights issue to raise more money. That's why they make it as difficult as possible for anyone to get a refund. In fairness anyone running the company would do this. They are hoping that people will not opt for a refund and have a voucher instead.
For sure - But it makes me wonder why they didn't elect to follow other airlines (e.g Finnair, SAS) and offer a % increase on the value of the voucher in the event the flight is cancelled. Even if a voucher was bumped by 10% (which I think is what Finnair % is) then I'd have been inclined to take a voucher on some of my cancelled flights, rather than elect for the cash refund. Even if 10% of people elected for an increased voucher, that's a lot of additional free cash flow. You also guarantee that money returns to BA, rather than drift off to a competitor when said individual comes to rebook (perhaps not such an issue for those of us members of BAEC, especially with status).

I don't like the difficulty to receive a refund, but yes from a commercial side it makes sense. I just think there are slightly better ways to go about it that's amicable for both airline and customer.
EuropeanPete and ENTP like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:00 am

My annoyance is that the flights are booked to go to a customer at their request but on my credit card, when they get cancelled they remain on my CC bill and I am out the money until I get the refund back. They are not holiday or discretionary spend. So far this month I have had to cancel three sets of flights and it is starting to mount up!
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: Confirmed
A standard answer to BA problems by some people in this board can be simplified into these sentences:

Others can do it so your case is abnormal.
LH is worse.
Hence you are wrong and BA is the best.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SKRan
A standard answer to BA problems by some people in this board can be simplified into these sentences:

LH is worse.
I cannot see where that view is even being expressed on the thread - others have agreed that it is happening , no reference to LH and no one suggesting that the OP is wrong
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by SKRan

LH is worse.
Not at all. What is being complained about is that a standard function that has been in use for years has been switched off in MMB. This is now causing inconvenience to customers.
Sailbot3310 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:15 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
Not at all. What is being complained about is that a standard function that has been in use for years has been switched off in MMB. This is now causing inconvenience to customers.
...and I would suggest is causing a disincentive to book so actually having a reverse effect on airlines too. One friend and two different work colleagues have both said to m that until airlines refund promptly when the airline cancels a flight they will not book to go anywhere. The removal by BA of the simple "Refund" button that used to be on ba.com plus the arrogant boss of FR saying a while back that "refunds will take up to 6 months" appears to be putting a few people off booking anything.

You "reap what you sow" seems to be so apt with how the airlines have behaved over promptly giving customers their money back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.