Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to Mix Cabin Classes in Booking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Just to follow up on this, I booked Economy return hoping to upgrade one sector normally (not POUG as the fare difference is cheaper), but it will only let me upgrade both flight sectors.

What is going on here? Why won’t BA let you mix CE/ET on domestics?
It is frustrating. For an upcoming trip in November, the only way I found to cook this was a one-way revenue fare, and one-way Avios redemption coming back.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Today, I phoned up in a last ditch attempt to upgrade. I was quoted £375 to upgrade. I told the agent it was a £40 fare difference between the classes online, I just couldn’t mix classes, and she was bewildered.

So, it seems there is no way for me to upgrade cabins for £40, despite the fare difference being £40…
Old Oct 29, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Today, I phoned up in a last ditch attempt to upgrade. I was quoted £375 to upgrade. I told the agent it was a £40 fare difference between the classes online, I just couldn’t mix classes, and she was bewildered.

So, it seems there is no way for me to upgrade cabins for £40, despite the fare difference being £40…
Is this a ticket that is already booked, if so is it in Basic Economy? If so, to upgrade to Club via the fare difference, you must need to be on a combinable fare in both directions that allows Y and J to be permitted ( one on each direction ) where Basic Economy fares are unlikely to be combinable with Club fares.

If this is not a Basic Economy ticket, the entire outbound/return portion might be repriced per the current fares ( unless one segment has been flown ) but for a domestic I doubt that would be GBP 375 unless the Euro Traveller leg that you want to keep has only higher fare buckets available at this time.

If you haven't booked your ticket, a travel agent could easily combine these two fares or alternatively, booking Y out J in ( or vice-versa ) on the phone with BA would be possible, as well as, BA would waive the phone booking fee if you can't book that combination online.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Tried this again today LHR-GLA as my work travel budget would have stretched to one-way CE (Domestic flights are usually Y with my work unless under the budget threshold, whereas international is always J). It seems silly as BA lost out on c.£200 extra revenue here by upselling one leg (for me and a colleague). It's not even like they can say 'well we have a limited number of seats that will sell out anyway' as they can move the curtain back - a dummy booking suggests it's only 3 rows at the moment.

Instead of wasting valuable time on the gold line to book by phone or spending £50 extra pp to book two one-way tickets each, I just booked 'basic economy' both ways. Even more stupidly, this means BA also lost out on the £13 revenue increase on what would have been the Y leg as you have to combine CE with an economy plus booking when you split the fares.

Last edited by andimilk; Oct 19, 2023 at 10:06 am
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I still don't get why this happens. LON - EDI/GLA seems to do this to me, but LON - ABZ/AMS works fine.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by andimilk
Tried this again today LHR-GLA as my work travel budget would have stretched to one-way CE (Domestic flights are usually Y with my work unless under the budget threshold, whereas international is always J). It seems silly as BA lost out on c.£200 extra revenue here by upselling one leg (for me and a colleague). It's not even like they can say 'well we have a limited number of seats that will sell out anyway' as they can move the curtain back - a dummy booking suggests it's only 3 rows at the moment.

Instead of wasting valuable time on the gold line to book by phone or spending £50 extra pp to book two one-way tickets each, I just booked 'basic economy' both ways. Even more stupidly, this means BA also lost out on the £13 revenue increase on what would have been the Y leg as you have to combine CE with an economy plus booking when you split the fares.
i do not understand why you were unable book ce out Y back or vice versa. My trip this weekend i book ce and y back online no problem. I searched for Y fares and then when i selected the flight it gave y and ce pricing.

I am assuming you were only lhr gla.

What i cannot book is krk to gla with krk lhr in ce and lhr gla in y.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Oct 19, 2023 at 12:01 pm
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
i do not understand why you were unable book ce out Y back or vice versa. My trip this weekend i book ce and y back online no problem. I searched for Y fares and then when i selected the flight it gave y and ce pricing.

Was this on the website? I was doing it through the website, searching for Y and it gives you the options on the outbound, but if I select J, it only gives me J options for the return. If I choose Y out, it only gives Y options back. I tried a few different flight combinations within my time window. I was wondering whether I should have tried the app and whether it would give me different results.

Yes just LHR-GLA this time.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite

Speculating, but I think duration also effects the visibility, with day returns more of a problem than a few days away.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:52 am

Interesting - to add the data point from my experience, I am flying outbound Tuesday, inbound Wednesday - pretty much exactly 24hrs between flights.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:13 am
Original Poster

It’s becoming very frustrating now. Dublin is one where you can’t book one way ET, one way CE either.

Is there any work around at all?
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Is there any work around at all?
have you tried as a multi city? Or buy 2 one ways?
abligh likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:37 am
Original Poster

have you tried as a multi city? Or buy 2 one ways?
Was ideally looking to make a BAH to get the double TPs, so the one-way idea doesn’t work.

As for multi-city, afraid not.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by andimilk
Was this on the website? I was doing it through the website, searching for Y and it gives you the options on the outbound, but if I select J, it only gives me J options for the return. If I choose Y out, it only gives Y options back. I tried a few different flight combinations within my time window. I was wondering whether I should have tried the app and whether it would give me different results.

Yes just LHR-GLA this time.
I'm also unable to select ET when I select CE on the outbound. This is for LGW-GVA return cash booking.
Is my only resort making a telephone booking?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
I'm also unable to select ET when I select CE on the outbound. This is for LGW-GVA return cash booking.
Is my only resort making a telephone booking?
Other than booking two one-ways, I’m afraid so. But challenge the offline service fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.