Unable to Mix Cabin Classes in Booking

Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Unable to Mix Cabin Classes in Booking

I have just been looking at booking some European flights. I wanted to pick an ET fare for the outbound and return in CE. However, neither the BA app nor website is letting me mix classes. I have done this so many times before and it has never been an issue. I even priced some mixed cabin bookings last week and there was no issue.

I have looked at flights to AMS, LIN and EDI just to make sure it wasnt my destination but even they arent playing ball.

Have BA changed their policy and wont let you mix classes on a single booking? I am now forced to pick either ET or CE for both legs.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buy 2 x oneway tickets?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They haven't changed the rules, and you could ring up (even if not the day to do it). It's just there is some blip in BA's IT that doesn't necessarily allow these mixed bookings if the destination is served by more than one London airport. And guess what......
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They haven't changed the rules, and you could ring up (even if not the day to do it). It's just there is some blip in BA's IT that doesn't necessarily allow these mixed bookings if the destination is served by more than one London airport. And guess what......
I think it is more than that. As BAeuro noted this has been possible before, and the example of AMS cited is one I have done as well even though it is served by all three London airports, so this isn't an existing issue.

I note trying it now if I do LHR-AMS rtn out 9 Sept back next day, when I pick ET on the outbound and click to look at the inbound all the business seats on all flights are greyed out. They show a price but underneath say "Cannot combine with the outbound selection". I have never seen that before. Something has clearly changed here, perhaps a temporary blip?

EDIT:

BAeuro likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Oh I didnt realise that was an issue corporate-wage-slave

Now dont think Im questioning you (I would never do that ) but I booked a mixed class flight 3 weeks ago and had no trouble:

LHR-LIN (ET)
BGY-LGW (CE)

So this was a destination served from numerous LON and MIL airports (which I took advantage of) and it was a mix of CE/ET on one ticket.

Just did a dummy booking of that now, and it wont let me mix classes. So something must be playing up, whether that be BAs IT glitching tonight or a rule not allowing mixing.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’ve just been able to get a quote for out in CE back in ET on the phone app
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Seems ok if you pick Economy plus and not hbo.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I was about to say the same. Basic + CE in the example I showed doesn't work. Plus + CE does. Previously you could combine basic + CE tho.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:09 pm
Suspended

So does it appear that a decision has been made for CE passengers on mixed class returns must not be encouraged to be hbo on both sectors?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Seems to be all sorted now, including mixing HBO and CE. I guess BA were having some technical issues this evening.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
I was about to say the same. Basic + CE in the example I showed doesn't work. Plus + CE does.
Don't think this is a one-off issue as CWS says, I have seen this in the past when trying to book LGW-EDI
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Could it be when trying to leave less than 24 hours between out and inbound? Just a theory
Old Oct 15, 2022, 7:05 am
Original Poster

So I have always been able to select basic one-way and CE return, however, Im looking at flights to GLA, and it isnt playing ball.

Ive tried custom trip too and that hasnt worked. It also wont let me match Economy Plus and CE.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
I too am interested in whether there are any workarounds to this. I'm looking at GLA-LHR return with one leg in ET and one in CE, and there doesn't appear to be any way to do so?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up on this, I booked Economy return hoping to upgrade one sector normally (not POUG as the fare difference is cheaper), but it will only let me upgrade both flight sectors.

What is going on here? Why wont BA let you mix CE/ET on domestics?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.