Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways pilots accept pay cuts, job losses negotiated by union

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways pilots accept pay cuts, job losses negotiated by union

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
One guy who I did a deal with (later a friend) spent 60 hours straight working. He wasn’t a first year but friends who were did. Sadly it is true often. This of course is contrasted with long periods of low work and 5-6 hour work days.
Low billable work periods, maybe, but that doesn’t mean 5-6 hour work days. I am married to a lawyer at a US firm and when he’s not working the 18 hour days (4am bedtime on Sunday morning last weekend, for example, having started work at 9am Saturday) he is stressing about his billable hours and partner perception. That’s not so bad WFH but when they were in the office that meant face time till 8pm even if you had nothing going on. It is really a cr&p career!
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As amazing as lawyers are, I assume we would prefer pilots to be a little lest tired?
VSLover and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by aristoph
Low billable work periods, maybe, but that doesn’t mean 5-6 hour work days. I am married to a lawyer at a US firm and when he’s not working the 18 hour days (4am bedtime on Sunday morning last weekend, for example, having started work at 9am Saturday) he is stressing about his billable hours and partner perception. That’s not so bad WFH but when they were in the office that meant face time till 8pm even if you had nothing going on. It is really a cr&p career!
That's crazy, where does he find the hours to actually lead a normal life?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
That's crazy, where does he find the hours to actually lead a normal life?
Lol he doesn't (we don't). You learn not to go out during the work week, and to expect weekend plans to be cancelled on Friday evening. Or even Christmas. We were due to fly see his family in US on December 23 last year and they "asked" him to work through the day before. They will happily reimburse £1000s in sunk travel costs because they bill out at $1000 an hour.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by KARFA
As amazing as lawyers are, I assume we would prefer pilots to be a little lest tired?
Yes I would suggest we go back on topic.
adrianlondon and KARFA like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
As amazing as lawyers are,....
If only the legislators were.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, to stem the tide of complaints the mods continue to receive about individuals who "habitually interrupt substantive discussions with vacuous one-liners", could we keep things on topic and only post we've got something constructive to add ?

Thanks
the mod team
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.