Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways pilots accept pay cuts, job losses negotiated by union

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways pilots accept pay cuts, job losses negotiated by union

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by SonTech
I know. I get by quite happily on £30k and still manage 2 long haul holidays a year plus other shorter trips inbetween.
Honestly, good for you.
(In my life, it sadly wouldn’t even cover the school fees) **runs for cover**

I am frequently in awe of people who, for instance, make it to Gold/GGL on a median salary. It must take some serious budgeting in other parts of life.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I do not care what they pay the Nigels. As long as there are a couple of Nigels in charge, they are most unlikely to do anything daft when flying the plane.

I seem to remember that the guy with the unruly 777 was called Peter, rather than Nigel.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
If a pilot earns £100,000 a year, or even close to it, I have no problem with that. To turn up to work however many days per week and know that a single mistake could cost the lives of hundreds of people: well, that's not a job or responsibility that I could ever do/want.
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
If a pilot earns £100,000 a year, or even close to it, I have no problem with that. To turn up to work however many days per week and know that a single mistake could cost the lives of hundreds of people: well, that's not a job or responsibility that I could ever do/want.
Have the same thing as a train driver, but all everyone ever does is moan I'm overpaid....off topic I know!
AdamUK, KARFA, crazy8534 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazy8534

I am frequently in awe of people who, for instance, make it to Gold/GGL on a median salary. It must take some serious budgeting in other parts of life.
Prioritization of the important things in life.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:01 am

Couple of points.

It doesn’t matter what you earn, your lifestyle and expenditure commitments are based on the bottom right hand corner of your payslip. Most people can tailor their lifestyles to cope with a pay cut, expenditure tends to be more fixed, mortgage payments do not go down when you take a pay cut, though you can maybe buy one less cappuccino a day.

Secondly, and perhaps far more significant is that the measures, of which the pay cuts are merely a small part, have ensured the retention of c900 pilot jobs that were under threat.

These cuts in pay and T&Cs have been VOLUNTARILY undertaken by the BA pilot workgroup (I want to use the word fraternity, but that would exclude those women amongst our number) specifically with the intent of reduction in number of CR’s required. We wanted to go further but BA insisted, for internal political reasons, that some pilots would be made CR.

Despite BAs determination to ruin some junior pilot’s careers, I am incredibly proud that my colleagues have taken pay cuts and significant other reductions to try to save other pilots careers from the scrap heap.

I hope my colleagues in other areas of work at BA can achieve something better than the ugly options a poor leadership team decided were apt.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I’m hearing that BA changed the goal posts even after the ballots had been sent out. So I don’t think anyone can hold this up as a good process and it had huge issues that have upset BALPA and the pilots.
Bellerophon and Waterhorse like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
One thing for sure BA now has a disconnected and disillusioned workforce.
Bellerophon and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
One thing for sure BA now has a disconnected and disillusioned workforce.
The company will need a reboot for sure at some point. I think it's now becoming increasingly more clear that Alex Cruz will unlikely last much beyond the end of the year (he's seems to have pretty much disappeared this year). If there are some signs of light at the beginning of 2021, I suspect the smart thing to do would be to install someone new with a vision for the following 3-5 years and try to rebuild morale within the company.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
Have the same thing as a train driver, but all everyone ever does is moan I'm overpaid....off topic I know!
Sorry, no where near the same.

anyone else see the irony in the pilots strike, cost to BA of millions, all to hand it back a few months later. what a lot of wasted money

between that and the fuel hedge going wrong BA has burnt through a ton of cash that could have gone on new planes and better soft/hard products.

adding covid in the mix, I suspect serious under investment moving forward
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by jonas123
The company will need a reboot for sure at some point. I think it's now becoming increasingly more clear that Alex Cruz will unlikely last much beyond the end of the year (he's seems to have pretty much disappeared this year). If there are some signs of light at the beginning of 2021, I suspect the smart thing to do would be to install someone new with a vision for the following 3-5 years and try to rebuild morale within the company.
Refreshed leadership might help, but curious whether this is just a rumour or based on inside knowledge of executive hiring?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jonas123
.... I think it's now becoming increasingly more clear that Alex Cruz will unlikely last much beyond the end of the year......
based on what?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven
based on what?
sorry to stir, just my opinion, not hard facts. It just seems as though he has been sidelined during the whole Covid period, he's barely made an appearance.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:11 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
A bit OT but having worked in both sectors (latterly in train signalling) there is a bit of a difference now between a train driver and a pilot. In most western countries the train driver is fully protected by layer upon layer of automatic safety systems that prevent ever getting into (or anywhere near to) a dangerous situation. From the basic signal interlocking up through TPWS, ATP and now onto ETCS on high speed lines with lineside sigalling replaced by in-cab displays and direct communication of over speed and under braking over any section.

IMHO there is a big difference between the safety responsibility of both professions.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by KARFA
Interesting contrast.

So for pilots taking a 20% pay cut which is clearly significant there is no sympathy and we get people saying they survive on £XXk a year so pilots should be grateful, but for cc the view seems to be how dare they reduce the wages of EF/WW crew in line with what the market now pays.
Assuming you have years experience in your chosen profession, not sure how you would feel, that if in the same field, other companies came along and started to offer an inferior but cheaper service, and then, due to exceptional circumstances, your company offered you a new contract at vastly reduced salary, as the competitors have driven the market rate down?

My other concern would be for both pilots and CC (+ back office staff). The decisions being made now were unimaginable 7 months ago, but globally there is no end to the pandemic in sight. In accepting or being forced to accept the proposed new rates, what guarantee is there that in another 6 months, when globally some countries are by then on their 5th or 6th wave, what will happen then.

Are not some of these business jumping the gun in making 'long term' decisions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.