Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Confusion over checking in hand luggage with HBO fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confusion over checking in hand luggage with HBO fare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
And here is my take. This is where I think it changes from being hand baggage to checked baggage (all be it hand baggage sized checked baggage).

There seem to be 2 main ways in which the checking of cabin baggage can be offered to HBO ticket holders.
  • At the gate when a call is made as a way to free up space in the cabin and overhead lockers when it becomes apparent there may be issues securing space for everyone who's turned up.
  • In the terminal at the check-in desk on particularly busy services where BA knows in advance that they're going to be operating full, they generally send a text in the hours leading up to OLCI opening inviting you to do so.

Just because someone has bought you a bottle of bubbly that you're trying to get around the liquids policy wouldn't really qualify as a reason to open up the above to you.

You're not able to gate check because you have liquid over 100ml and the flights not warranted as being busy enough to have the official waiver applied (presumably this would require some sort of supervisory sign off as a lost revenue stream?)

It sounds as though the check in agent made a discretionary decision and allowed you to check your bag in the terminal for free. They didn't have to do this to you on a HBO fare which was a good call for all concerned.
I think the point the poster was making about the bottle is, at the time of booking they didn't anticipate a gift bottle - so clearly at this stage they just want to know the best and cheapest way to check in a bag. It's clearly not a discretionary decision to allow to check in hand baggage at Heathrow itself, as a number of posters, and BA have made clear (either as a sign in the airport or on the phone to me).

Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by strayersong
It is but plans change. I had no intention to check in my luggage until my friend gave me a bottle of Prosecco as gift!
Isn't there a much better place to check a bottle of Prosecco? (your stomach!)
strayersong likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by sb1982
I think the point the poster was making about the bottle is, at the time of booking they didn't anticipate a gift bottle - so clearly at this stage they just want to know the best and cheapest way to check in a bag. It's clearly not a discretionary decision to allow to check in hand baggage at Heathrow itself, as a number of posters, and BA have made clear (either as a sign in the airport or on the phone to me).

Which is why you can add one on to a HBO fare after ticket purchase. (Sorry I did make an edit to myomy post as I'd noticed I'd not eluded to this). For a bottle of prosecco though I probably wouldn't have bothered. Maybe ask the question at check in and if that came to nothing been prepared to leave the pressie behind.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:47 am

Just got the email for a flight to JTR! Almost (;p) beginning to feel like old times. Also FWIW I think in ARN they have a sign up offering to check in Hand Baggage FoC.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sb1982

Thanks and that was my point! Really don't understand what some people's rant is about...
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:11 am

Thanks and that was my point! Really don't understand what some people's rant is about...
You bought the subject up. If you didn't want an array of views then why bother? I don't see any rants, just different points of view and understanding. Certainly nothing to get knicker twisted about
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You bought the subject up. If you didn't want an array of views then why bother? I don't see any rants, just different points of view and understanding. Certainly nothing to get knicker twisted about
I'll leave the stage to yourself.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 6:26 am

I'll leave the stage to yourself.
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.