Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of the Babybus and LCY-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I never got to fly it, despite my roots in east London and living there for many years.

I considered it. Mainly for the 210 TP it used to offer. The preclearance wasnt really an advantage for me.

I preferred the 747 and made the trek across to Heathrow. Lack of lounges was also a factor why we never took a flight.

But now it's going, it's like I wish i had tried it the one time...
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
How long does it usually take BA to update their systems to remove the flight when these things are announced?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
Understandable, a very, very small subfleet, the stop in Shannon, no demand (or at least a lot less) for the coming month to year. Crossrail/Elizabeth line in the near future cutting travel time to LHR. Business wise a very understandable decision.
And a dated hard product that couldn't compete with the old Club World seat, let alone Club Suite.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Confus
There has been a firm plan for a couple of years for AA to move into T5, if necessary at the expense of some other BA routes but more likely with more efficient usage of gates and remote stands. It’s hardly surprising that AA does not intend to move out again, it’s just been expedited a bit. It’s not and never has been conditional on preclearance.
And there's a reason why AA haven't yet delivered their long-promised new premium check-in or lounges in T3...
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I had a ball when I took BA1, and I scored 1A with no-one in 1B! It was July 2015 and it turned into a bit of a party flight. On the return, BA2 was cancelled so I was put on BA4 instead.

Nothing but good memories. It was my one and only time to experience a flight like how it must have been on a de Havilland Comet 1 back in 1952. Just over 30 seats, superb service, a refueling stop... it felt so jet set! Not to mention how nice boarding was with so few people. True bliss!

I remember posting on Facebook that I was torn, as the fare was the same for both LHR and LCY, and one of my cabin crew friends at BA said, "Go for the LCY, you never know how long it will last" - soooo glad I took his advice.

Now I wonder if something special will replace it at BA1-4 or if the ghost of Concorde will be put to rest and it'll just be another flight like any other.
allturnleft and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by FlightDetective; Jul 31, 2020 at 11:00 am Reason: Wrong year :)
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:47 pm

It may have been an inevitable cut, but it’s still a sad one.

i remember the glory days with first class tier points, an awesomely stocked gate lounge and exciting travelling companions- the only time I have actually recognised a celeb on BA and that took colliding into her coming out of the toilet!

even with the cuts later it was still a special feeling service.

I will treasure the closest I will ever get to flying on a private jet (except for the top deck of the 747 of course)
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As I think of the flights earlier on in my professional career (BA and CX 747s, Babybus, BA short-haul CE comfy seats, good GF champagne), I’m suddenly feeling rather old.

I was never actually a big fan of the LCY service, but it was an interesting change.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Sad to see this go. Really enjoyed the special and unique nature of this service.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by chistery
How long does it usually take BA to update their systems to remove the flight when these things are announced?
A couple of days.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hartwith
A couple of days.
so i should prepare for the 747 changes aswell? or is it just BA1?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:02 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Such a sad day, another iconic flight leaving the BA system. Although only tried this a couple of times, all my BA1 flights (never done the return) has been serviced by the top BA crews. Always felt the exclusivity of this flight even compared to First class.
Will certainly miss this flight - I hope when situation improves, they will rethink to bring this service back.

Wonder to which route will the BA1 number be assigned to after this? I suspect it will be to one of the LHR-JFK service.

Cheers!
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA
Brussels just got approved as the third preclearance airport in the EU, so perhaps there's an expansion going on there too.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I never had a bad flight experience and though the seating was dated, I always had my best sleep on the home to LCY.

Cheerio EUNA and EUNB.

H
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoch
Cheerio EUNA and EUNB.
G-EUNB hasn’t operated for BA for 3 years or so now.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by richardwft
Is there an opportunity for Titan Airways and their babybus?
Originally Posted by Genius1
G-EUNB hasn’t operated for BA for 3 years or so now.

​​​​​​​

BA actually still own both A318s as they were both recently remortgaged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.