Wiki Posts
Search

BA damage to baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BA damage to baggage

On a recent BA domestic flight, baggage handlers ripped the handle off my Rimowa suitcase. No one at the baggage counter so I was advised to report online. K2 (outsourced handler of these issues) said they could repair it, collected it and then called to say:
- they cant repair it (too old)
- they can offer to return it, give £45 compensation (their depreciated valuation) or replace with a non Rimowa hardcase.

I thought this was not a great outcome, so I escalated through BA GGL line. BA unfortunately took a harder stance - I could gave my unrepaired suitcase back OR £45. I chose the suitcase because contrary to what K2 said, it is fixable (spoke directly to Rimowa and ordered the new handle). BA told me to escalate to CEDR if I wasn't happy and that they would no longer communicate on the matter.

A few points/learnings here:
- don't let K2 have your Rimowa, they don't plan to continue supporting Rimowa repairs in the future (they told me this)
- BA seem to be taking a hard line on anything compensation related right now

Ultimately BA damaged my bag, didn't repair it and then considered returning my own bag to me as sufficient compensation!

Provided the replacement handle from rimowa goes on well, I may be tempted to let the matter go, however from a hypothetical view.... what would you do? Escalate to CEDR or nothing?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by want2goeverywhere
On a recent BA domestic flight, baggage handlers ripped the handle off my Rimowa suitcase. No one at the baggage counter so I was advised to report online. K2 (outsourced handler of these issues) said they could repair it, collected it and then called to say:
- they cant repair it (too old)
- they can offer to return it, give £45 compensation (their depreciated valuation) or replace with a non Rimowa hardcase.

I thought this was not a great outcome, so I escalated through BA GGL line. BA unfortunately took a harder stance - I could gave my unrepaired suitcase back OR £45. I chose the suitcase because contrary to what K2 said, it is fixable (spoke directly to Rimowa and ordered the new handle). BA told me to escalate to CEDR if I wasn't happy and that they would no longer communicate on the matter.

A few points/learnings here:
- don't let K2 have your Rimowa, they don't plan to continue supporting Rimowa repairs in the future (they told me this)
- BA seem to be taking a hard line on anything compensation related right now

Ultimately BA damaged my bag, didn't repair it and then considered returning my own bag to me as sufficient compensation!

Provided the replacement handle from rimowa goes on well, I may be tempted to let the matter go, however from a hypothetical view.... what would you do? Escalate to CEDR or nothing?
personallyc I would get the repair, then send the receipt to BA, if they don’t pay up, then take them to CEDR (I’ve never done CEDR though so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly).
Old Jul 20, 2020, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The airline will only be liable to the level of value of the item. BA uses a reasonable depreciation calculation

If it costs more to repair than its value, then it will only be liable for the value of the case.

How much was the original purchase price ?

I wouldn't go to CEDR unless the valuation of the case is flawed
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The airline will only be liable to the level of value of the item. BA uses a reasonable depreciation calculation

If it costs more to repair than its value, then it will only be liable for the value of the case.

How much was the original purchase price ?

I wouldn't go to CEDR unless the valuation of the case is flawed
I agree and I dont necessarily dispute their valuation as it is in line with industry norm (even though £45 is less than 10% of purchase price today as prices have increased).

I dispute the fact that they have effectively given me nothing except my non-repaired case back.

The repair will only cost as much as Rimowa charge for the handle (TBC) as you can actually replace it pretty easily.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In that event, I would elect the £45 as it will have cost you less than that to repair the case and the difference will be yours to keep.

BA has fully complied with its obligations, presuming that £45 is a reasonable approximation of the item's fair market value. In that case, if the repair were to cost more than £45, it would be your option. Bear in mind that this is a reimbursement and not compensation.

Yes, it appears that BA and many other carriers have ended the practice of goodwill gestures above their obligation. Simply a matter of cash flow in tough times. I do not expect this to change.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
In that event, I would elect the £45 as it will have cost you less than that to repair the case and the difference will be yours to keep.

BA has fully complied with its obligations, presuming that £45 is a reasonable approximation of the item's fair market value. In that case, if the repair were to cost more than £45, it would be your option. Bear in mind that this is a reimbursement and not compensation.

Yes, it appears that BA and many other carriers have ended the practice of goodwill gestures above their obligation. Simply a matter of cash flow in tough times. I do not expect this to change.
I could only take the £45 if I didn't get my suitcase back though as they want to "take it out of circulation".
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I could only take the £45 if I didn't get my suitcase back though as they want to "take it out of circulation".
Which is perfectly correct - once it pays for the case, it owns it

Purchase price is the correct price to use for devaluation, not the price as of today
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:52 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
There are quite a few threads about BA & K2's luggage repair/compensation policies. As the OP indicates BA has for a few years been taking a much harder line on such issues. It seems to make no difference that you may be GGL or non-status. They don't seem to have any flexibility around the policies. BA just shrug their shoulders and tell you they rely on K2. K2 just shrugs its shoulders and tell you they implement BA's policy. Loyalty counts for nothing, other than increasing the likely hood that at some point you will come across these issues with BA/K2 and find it leaves a sour taste.

There's little point in arguing directly - in my experience, they won't budge. I didn't bother taking it as far as CEDR, but feel free. I now use BA a lot less than I once did - I realise that loyalty is a two-way street, even if BA doesn't.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gms
There are quite a few threads about BA & K2's luggage repair/compensation policies. As the OP indicates BA has for a few years been taking a much harder line on such issues. It seems to make no difference that you may be GGL or non-status. They don't seem to have any flexibility around the policies. BA just shrug their shoulders and tell you they rely on K2. K2 just shrugs its shoulders and tell you they implement BA's policy. Loyalty counts for nothing, other than increasing the likely hood that at some point you will come across these issues with BA/K2 and find it leaves a sour taste.

There's little point in arguing directly - in my experience, they won't budge. I didn't bother taking it as far as CEDR, but feel free. I now use BA a lot less than I once did - I realise that loyalty is a two-way street, even if BA doesn't.
I still do not see that either BA or K2 did anything incorrect here. It is BA's obligation to repair or reimburse up to the fair market value of the item. I cannot say for certain that £45 is the correct number, but it is some factor based on the price paid less the usage OP has had and what a "reasonable person" would pay for that item today.

There are travel insurance policies which reimburse at replacement price, but that tends to be a bit of a gimmick because they can cost significantly more and the number of these incidents is relatively low (only works to a passenger's advantage when it is an older & expensive bag which has an expensive repair or simply cannot be repaired.

I tend to go with the easiest solution. I buy dirt cheap luggage, check it only on extraordinarily rare occasions, and then toss it once it's had a useful life.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
BA could have just said that as the repair cost more than the value they think of the suitcase is, we pay £45 towards the cost of the repair. If the OP buys/repairs and it cost a £100 and select to do that it would be fair outcome. BA damaged something which was old but working I wouldn’t not describe BA/K2 solution as fair. Legal perhaps, but hardly fair.
want2goeverywhere likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I still do not see that either BA or K2 did anything incorrect here. It is BA's obligation to repair or reimburse up to the fair market value of the item. I cannot say for certain that £45 is the correct number, but it is some factor based on the price paid less the usage OP has had and what a "reasonable person" would pay for that item today.

There are travel insurance policies which reimburse at replacement price, but that tends to be a bit of a gimmick because they can cost significantly more and the number of these incidents is relatively low (only works to a passenger's advantage when it is an older & expensive bag which has an expensive repair or simply cannot be repaired.
In my view, service from K2 was actually very good until BA got involved - definitely a lesson for me there!
The "market value" is actually based on what a reasonable person would have paid for the item when it was bought (so not today, but however many years ago) which is always going to make these valuations seem low.
I think travel insurance also depreciates the valuation so I'm not sure anyone can really get much more from them (mine was a domestic flight so my travel insurance doesn't kick in anyway).

I guess the crux of it is:
- it can be repaired (quite cheaply I believe) but BA/K2 are declining to do so and they are declining to pay for me to repair it myself
- I'd rather have it repaired than the cash

Good to get some viewpoints on this though, thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by gms

Unfortunately, that's what appears to be true: no recognition of loyalty. I too been using BA less than I did before.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:01 am
Suspended

I suspect that the days of past loyalty being significantly rewarded other than in occasional marketed features, e.g., lounge access, additional baggage allowance and the like, are over. Going forward, there are few carriers with the current cash on hand to expend on other than necessities and the risk that a given number of passengers will switch carriers is simply a cost of doing business because there is no cash today. This will likely lead to any carriers which are currently paying out at above requirements to cease doing so as well.

The core corporate accounts which will keep BA afloat in the next 3-4 years will not care and will still direct their business.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Last year BA didnt blink an eyelid, when instead of repair I purchased a new TUMI for £900 (I was between flights and called them sayign if you can pick it up, repair, and return before my next F flight in 36 hours please let me know, otherwise I will send you a new receipt, or words to that extent...)
want2goeverywhere likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
I guess the crux of it is:
- it can be repaired (quite cheaply I believe) but BA/K2 are declining to do so and they are declining to pay for me to repair it myself
- I'd rather have it repaired than the cash
If it can be repaired cheaply by Rimowa I'd get K2 to return it to you, get it fixed and send the bill to BA. If they won't pay up then MCOL them (I wouldn't bother with CEDR).

The financial risk here is pretty low and ultimately all you want is your case repaired. This would seem to me a reasonable approach.

Separately, I find it hard to believe a valuation of a Rimowa is just £45. The formula they use are usually pretty brutal, based on number of years since purchase and not reflective of actual value

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.