Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance? Upgrading to Silver after 1 leg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance? Upgrading to Silver after 1 leg

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
Cool Baggage Allowance? Upgrading to Silver after 1 leg

Wanting to check I have not done anything stupid and my thinking is correct?! I am off to Portugal with BA later this month with the family (four of us), the big news is that this will upgrade me to silver (didn't think I would make it after my work cancelled all trips), but with the reduction to 450pts I should make it after the first leg (as it's 10 tier pts each way)
We only need two hold bags, as such Rather than selecting hold luggage (it will only allow you to select bags for everyone at £24 each), I have chosen to add two bags on my outbound flight (£35 each), then I should be upgraded to Silver for the return flight (we are there for 2 weeks) where my understanding is I can then take two bags FOC?

And just to check, my 'year' ends in October, I should then keep Silver for two further years?

many thanks
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
2 weeks should be enough time for it to clear in the system
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'm sure others know better than me, but I thought with hand baggage only fares you didn't get any bags regardless of status?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by drwook
I'm sure others know better than me, but I thought with hand baggage only fares you didn't get any bags regardless of status?
Correct. See

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowancesSilver/oneworld Sapphire

Two checked bags when travelling in economy (World Traveller)

For everyone on your booking*, except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares, where there is no checked baggage allowance.
Giblets likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Giblets
Wanting to check I have not done anything stupid and my thinking is correct?! I am off to Portugal with BA later this month with the family (four of us), the big news is that this will upgrade me to silver (didn't think I would make it after my work cancelled all trips), but with the reduction to 450pts I should make it after the first leg (as it's 10 tier pts each way)
We only need two hold bags, as such Rather than selecting hold luggage (it will only allow you to select bags for everyone at £24 each), I have chosen to add two bags on my outbound flight (£35 each), then I should be upgraded to Silver for the return flight (we are there for 2 weeks) where my understanding is I can then take two bags FOC?

And just to check, my 'year' ends in October, I should then keep Silver for two further years?

many thanks
drwook is correct, it sounds like you have a hand baggage only (HBO) fare, so status doesn't come into play -- you have no luggage allowance.
Giblets likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:56 am
Original Poster

damn! Thanks for the heads up, still makes financial sense to book the luggage separately though.

lots to learn! 🙂
alex67500 and navylad like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sprodo
2 weeks should be enough time for it to clear in the system
I guess that would depend on when the reduced thresholds actually starts working! I have 500 TPs and been on Silver Achieved since last Monday. Still no change to my account.
Giblets and Sprodo like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Giblets
damn! Thanks for the heads up, still makes financial sense to book the luggage separately though.

lots to learn! 🙂
You might be better booking a plus fare for yourself and then booking the rest of your party as HBO on a seperate PNR. You can pay for 1 extra bag on the outbound and then take 2 for free on the return sector. The downside to this plan however is that your whole party won't get Group 2 boarding or free seat selection.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by cameramaker
You might be better booking a plus fare for yourself and then booking the rest of your party as HBO on a seperate PNR. You can pay for 1 extra bag on the outbound and then take 2 for free on the return sector. The downside to this plan however is that your whole party won't get Group 2 boarding or free seat selection.
and thoretical seating can make it difficult to seat them beside you at check in as the seat next to you will probably be blocked
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:45 pm

unless I misread, isn't £24 * 4 = £96 to all get a luggage allowance better than HBO and 2 bags * 2 directions * £35/bag = £140 ?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

unless I misread, isn't £24 * 4 = £96 to all get a luggage allowance better than HBO and 2 bags * 2 directions * £35/bag = £140 ?
£24per person per direction, so £192 total, or £140 return for the two bags we actually need. We’ve young kids so they definitely don’t need and can’t carry a full suitcase!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:59 pm

ah right, fair enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.