Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CE Classic Cornish Clotted Cream COVID Clearout Conundrum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What’s with the cream ?
Yuk. It will have gone off. Seriously off.
50.00%
It’ll look and smell OK, but I still would not touch it with a barge pole.
18.66%
Yummy on the strawberries
31.34%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

CE Classic Cornish Clotted Cream COVID Clearout Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Confus
I have no idea if this concept has made it to Cornwall, but J normally signifies a Julien date, which starts with 1 on 1 Jan and goes to 366 on, well, you get the drift. An early job I had was in a food factory that used this on their products. They made sure they didn’t make the same product 2 years in a row on the same day, and changed the packaging design every year on the line that only made one product, so they could always be completely sure which year it was made even if they didn’t print the year on the label, only the 3-digit Julian code.
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
18=2018
364= Dec 30(as 2018 was not a leap year)
J= hour of production maybe(I.e.0900 hrs). The letters 'I' and 'O' would not be used so this leaves each alphabet letter corresponding to an hour of the day

If I am right don't send me the article as a prize thanks!!
So it looks like it was made on December 30th 2018. Or is that the sell by date? Or best before date? Whatever, it does seem a bit old.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA silver
I am no expert in Roddas clotted cream but yes I suspect it was made on 30 Dec 2018. Why doesn't it have sell by date you ask?
probably because it's sold as a catering pack where the sell by date is on the box containing perhaps 48 individual portions.. Instructions would be to use lowest number first, which works in this example and ensures stock rotation.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Rodda's Cream appear to have an active Twitter account. Perhaps someone younger than me could ask them about batch numbers?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I am fairly sure that Rodda‘s don’t offer any UHT/long-life products. The “catering/trade” section of their website simply offers flash-frozen mini pots (which they say can be kept frozen for a year, but must then be consumed within 5-7 days of defrosting). More broadly, there is a pretty wide consensus to the effect that fresh clotted cream should be consumed within 14 days or so of purchase at most.

In other words, I wouldn’t touch this with a barge pole.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: Confirmed
That looks like an airtight packaging. which will prevent the cream going rancid if it's intact for a short bit of time. I would think some inert gas would be on top of it.
If your fridge remains at low temperature, the bacteria responsible for it to ferment would not be so active.
There is a high level of fat present.

Open it - and if it's still clotted, without separation, I'd try it a bit if my stomach is in order. This is not an advice.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chris87
I am fairly sure that Rodda‘s don’t offer any UHT/long-life products. The “catering/trade” section of their website simply offers flash-frozen mini pots (which they say can be kept frozen for a year, but must then be consumed within 5-7 days of defrosting). More broadly, there is a pretty wide consensus to the effect that fresh clotted cream should be consumed within 14 days or so of purchase at most.

In other words, I wouldn’t touch this with a barge pole.
This. It is a fresh dairy product. Why are people even considering eating something so far out of date?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
How big and full is OP's fridge that they only found it 2 days ago???

I hope they didn't eat it. This is from their website:

So, when our friends abroad receive their frozen delivery, they just pop it straight in their freezer, where it can sit happily for up to a whole year. Then, as and when they need it, they can defrost it slowly in the fridge. After that, it has a shelf life of 5 to 7 days, if kept between 1ºC and 5ºC.

https://www.roddas.co.uk/trade-export/
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AJA_
How big and full is OP's fridge that they only found it 2 days ago???
Yes a look at this video is in order methinks....while he eats his cream tea.

Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
This. It is a fresh dairy product. Why are people even considering eating something so far out of date?
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that no one on this thread is seriously considering any such thing

(and if they are, well there's always the Darwin Awards...)
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
No idea whether it'd be a good idea - did you try it?

As I am trapped in Australia right now, I have been digging through the house to do a major clear-out (sadly no Rodda's found - Australian quarantine would most likely have confiscated it if I tried to bring it in!), and found some old BA amenity kit contents such as REN etc. I used them on my backsides etc and it's fine - no reaction, or extra cellulite or anything
Too old to confidently use on my face though.
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
....from your death bed, post a rant on here about BA failing to tell you when it had to be eaten by.
And announce you're never flying BA again
HIDDY and Irreverent Medusa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.