Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stupid? USA->UK Trip August (Dual Citizenship)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stupid? USA->UK Trip August (Dual Citizenship)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by Misco60
What did your Congressman say when you told him that you had been detained briefly by CBP?
Her office took note of the individuals involved and the specifics of the incident, and promised to raise with CBP. Also provided resources should I wish to escalate further with CBP, which I have not done. I chalk it up to a few bad apples and a chaotic time, but there is no excuse for their attitude and abuse of position on this most recent entry. Like I said, 99% of the time, it's not like that, but they are bored and angry these days.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by frogster
But travelling back to the airport would be breaking quarantine (or rather self-isolation).
It's 2 weeks in self-isolation, then one week free to do as you please (e.g. visiting family) and then 2 weeks quarantine in the US.

Since you will presumably purchase a return ticket with a 7 days stay, it will be quite apparent to immigration officials.
Actually, there is no requirement to isolate or quarantine on return to the USA. There is a CDC recommendation to do so, but unlike the UK, it is not a requirement.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by miguel0881
Actually, there is no requirement to isolate or quarantine on return to the USA. There is a CDC recommendation to do so, but unlike the UK, it is not a requirement.
I have no idea if/how it is enforceable, but the State Department certainly class it as a requirement. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/presidential-proclamation--travel-from-europe.html

A: CDC requires all travelers, including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents, who have been in the Schengen Area, or any CDC Level 3 country, in the last 14 days to self-quarantine for 14 days. Travelers should visit www.coronavirus.gov for more information. The Department of Homeland Security will route travel through particular airports and passengers will undergo enhanced airport screening.

And the CDC website has it as an instruction to "stay home", not a recommendation.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
I have no idea if/how it is enforceable, but the State Department certainly class it as a requirement. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/presidential-proclamation--travel-from-europe.html

A: CDC requires all travelers, including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents, who have been in the Schengen Area, or any CDC Level 3 country, in the last 14 days to self-quarantine for 14 days. Travelers should visit www.coronavirus.gov for more information. The Department of Homeland Security will route travel through particular airports and passengers will undergo enhanced airport screening.

And the CDC website has it as an instruction to "stay home", not a recommendation.
I asked CDC about this when I last came in, and the rep confirmed it is a strong recommendation, but not a legal requirement. Some states have their own requirements, but as far as I know, there is no hardfast federal rule.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will make plans using two one-way tickets using my Avios (I believe that is the thing to do from reading stuff here - I'm not totally sure why though!) I'll reassess before my trip out there and I'm fully prepared to get a refund or postpone if the situation calls for it.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SanePlaneJane
Thanks to everyone who responded. I will make plans using two one-way tickets using my Avios (I believe that is the thing to do from reading stuff here - I'm not totally sure why though!) I'll reassess before my trip out there and I'm fully prepared to get a refund or postpone if the situation calls for it.
Having two one way Avios tickets certainly gives you more flexibility on the return leg (for example if you choose to go back another way and you therefore want a refund on the Avios ticket). Usually if USA or Canada is in the mix then a return ticket from Europe is cheaper than two one-way tickets, but in your case, if starting from the USA, it may actually be cheaper to have one-way tickets, in terms of BA's surcharge on Avios bookings. So it's not a straightforward decision, but you could well be correct in this instance.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Jane, that's exactly what we did with my daughter's trip. Safe travels, if you do make it over.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Having two one way Avios tickets certainly gives you more flexibility on the return leg (for example if you choose to go back another way and you therefore want a refund on the Avios ticket). Usually if USA or Canada is in the mix then a return ticket from Europe is cheaper than two one-way tickets, but in your case, if starting from the USA, it may actually be cheaper to have one-way tickets, in terms of BA's surcharge on Avios bookings. So it's not a straightforward decision, but you could well be correct in this instance.
Yes, $400 cheaper doing two separate bookings rather than one.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Arsey00
Jane, that's exactly what we did with my daughter's trip. Safe travels, if you do make it over.
Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Of course, if you have AA miles you should use them instead, 57k miles in J one way and $5-30 in taxes.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
SanePlaneJane this is very similar to my situation where I am planning to head back to the UK in August. I raised the same specific questions regarding self-isolation on the Coronavirus thread and corporate-wage-slave and NWIFlyer both confirmed my reading of the Regulation which was that you can self-isolate at the home of a family member with who you do not ordinarily reside.

Whether or not I do take the trip will depend on the precise situation both here in the US and there in the UK closer to our travel date. Given the way things are progressing in both countries it's looking less likely that I'll be travelling but only time will tell.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Our Easter trip back to the UK fell victim to Covid back in March, so as I thought this would all be over before the Summer, I rebooked the trip for the end of August. Technically, we can still travel, but would need to come home via LAX and it’s not going to be much fun not being able to do much whilst over there, so time to put this trip out of its misery.

We already have flights back to the UK going in and out of SAN, but I’m beginning to think that yet another trip might be in jeopardy.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
[QUOTE=wilko1;32486484]Reportedly they are getting far more aggressive at doing this, including letting immigration know, and registering a debt with credit agencies etc./QUOTE]

I began this process for London hospitals about 13 years ago. At that stage the sums involved for 1 Central London hospital were approx £1million per month. When I left that trust was running at 100% recovery.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cris L
I began this process for London hospitals about 13 years ago. At that stage the sums involved for 1 Central London hospital were approx £1million per month. When I left that trust was running at 100% recovery.
So everyone pays 100% of what they owe?

rb211.

Last edited by RB211; Jun 27, 2020 at 4:08 pm Reason: Inherited bad quoting - now fixed!
Old Jun 27, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Regarding emergency hospitalisation for respiratory problems, I can definitely confirm that NHS hospitals will seek payment, including at least partial payment on discharge, for patients admitted in emergency.

GP visit and A&E is free to all, but prescriptions are chargeable as is any hospital admission. 4-5 days in hospital on oxygen with various xray, blood, other tests, consultations with pulmonologist, and so on, can run GBP4k-7k.

This is how it went down when my mother-out-law came to visit, didn't have medical insurance (stupid cow), and fell ill with a serious respiratory infection in February this year.

So, I suggest you have your medical cover in order when travelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.