Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stupid? USA->UK Trip August (Dual Citizenship)

Old Jun 25, 20, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

I'd like some advice please... I'm a dual USA/UK citizen currently in the USA and I'm contemplating a trip (on BA, probably leaving out of San Francisco, to London) to visit a close family member in August for about a week. I know I would need to isolate for the entire time I am there and probably when I get back too. Is this stupid? What am I missing? TIA!
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Fine as long as you do your quarantine period I believe - if you think itís worth it just to be in quarantine.
Old Jun 25, 20, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just in the past 2 weeks things have changed dramatically across many parts of the world, including the UK and the US. Things could change and possibly will change again and again come August. You will, frustratingly Iím sure, have to sit tight and see how things play out, if you are aware of the current policies and can wait until nearer the time, then keep a close eye out on here and the official announcements. But itís crystal ball territory, surely?!
Brisbane Road likes this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 5:50 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
It must be a very important visit if you want to isolate for 14 days before then visiting the close relative. I would wait until self-isolation requirement is over.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not stupid, it's simply a question which only you can answer.

If you are prepared to quarantine on arrival in the UK for 14 days, then spend a week with your relative and then spend 14 days in quarantine on arrival back in the US, there is nothing stupid about it.

No way to predict what the rules will be in August or whether they will be relaxed in September, October or sometime in the distant future.
Old Jun 25, 20, 7:05 pm

I didn't think it was quarantine. Isn't it self-isolation?

rb211.
Old Jun 25, 20, 7:15 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
I didn't think it was quarantine. Isn't it self-isolation?

rb211.
TTmex, Twickenham, DaveS and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 8:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm in the same boat as you: UK citizen and US LPR. Scheduled to travel to UK August 14 for a week to see family.
Ultimately, a lot can change between then and now, but for the moment I'm feeling pretty fine about it. I know I'll have to self isolate which is fine. I've also already had COVID, so I'm not particularly concerned about re-infection in transit. If you understand the risks and the rules, and you feel as though it's worth it to you still, then I'd say go for it. If you're having doubts about it, though -- probably outta hold off.

It'll be my first flight since March, so I'm actually kinda excited to get back in the skies and experience traveling during a pandemic.
Old Jun 25, 20, 8:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by matticusbond View Post
I'm in the same boat as you: UK citizen and US LPR. Scheduled to travel to UK August 14 for a week to see family.
Ultimately, a lot can change between then and now, but for the moment I'm feeling pretty fine about it. I know I'll have to self isolate which is fine. I've also already had COVID, so I'm not particularly concerned about re-infection in transit. If you understand the risks and the rules, and you feel as though it's worth it to you still, then I'd say go for it. If you're having doubts about it, though -- probably outta hold off.

It'll be my first flight since March, so I'm actually kinda excited to get back in the skies and experience traveling during a pandemic.
Welcome to FlyerTalk matticusbond. I am flying tomorrow for the first time since March. I would really rather not go to be perfectly honest and unlike you I'm not looking forward to experiencing travel during a pandemic. Probably no TSA-pre, no catering or lounges plus the mask requirement. And I have to fly Delta too so no tier points for me; what is the world coming to! Just a very quick exit and re-entry to the country if all goes well to take care of some I-94 paperwork for my wife.
Old Jun 25, 20, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
TSA pre is running fine, same as always. Likely no Global Entry on return from UK/EU, at least that has been my most recent experience. I think you now have to quarantine in UK since June 8, but no quarantine required upon return to USA (they will tell you it's recommended, but it's not required). No problem at all for a dual citizen coming back in to USA. Don't let CBP intimidate you on the return. They tried a bit with me, sent me to secondary, but I elevated to a CBP supervisor, stood firm, and ultimately received an apology and acknowledgement that several officers had acted unprofessionally. YMMV.
Old Jun 25, 20, 9:45 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by miguel0881 View Post
TSA pre is running fine, same as always. Likely no Global Entry on return from UK/EU, at least that has been my most recent experience. I think you now have to quarantine in UK since June 8, but no quarantine required upon return to USA (they will tell you it's recommended, but it's not required). No problem at all for a dual citizen coming back in to USA. Don't let CBP intimidate you on the return. They tried a bit with me, sent me to secondary, but I elevated to a CBP supervisor, stood firm, and ultimately received an apology and acknowledgement that several officers had acted unprofessionally. YMMV.
What do you mean they tried to intimidate you, what seems to be the problem, officer, I am confused....
Old Jun 25, 20, 9:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yeah, same - Why on earth would they have sent you to secondary!?
Old Jun 25, 20, 10:31 pm
Suspended

For these situations you prepare to self-quarantine is a good idea. Keep it Up...Self-care is the best thing for you and other's health also. There is no medicine until now. We have only one option is to self-care and take precautions only. So stay home stay safe friends. Thank You
Acollier82 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 20, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
What do you mean they tried to intimidate you, what seems to be the problem, officer, I am confused....
It happens. They tell you it's "random," or that the "computer indicated it." And before you know it, they're tearing through your stuff and asking ridiculous questions. As they have the right to do, of course, but unfortunately incompetence levels run high, and they do NOT have the right to detain US citizens for unreasonable periods. So you must remind them of that. To which they reply, "well you can wait here, or you can wait in a cell." At which point, it's time to request a CBP supervisor and follow up with your Congressman. Granted, I have entered the USA hundreds of times, and this is certainly not the norm, but there have been a couple of unfortunate incidences, including a very recent entry from the UK when the Global Entry machines were closed because of COVID checks. So YMMV, as I said.
Old Jun 25, 20, 11:23 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It's not stupid, it's simply a question which only you can answer.

If you are prepared to quarantine on arrival in the UK for 14 days, then spend a week with your relative and then spend 14 days in quarantine on arrival back in the US, there is nothing stupid about it.

No way to predict what the rules will be in August or whether they will be relaxed in September, October or sometime in the distant future.
I assume the OP is staying with the relative. You can stay in their home during your self-isolation: you donít have to quarantine yourself for 14 days before visiting them - just avoid close and indoor contact.
Arsey00 and Geordie405 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: