Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's assume Europe bans Americans....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Because people have clearly been willing to lie about their recent travel history and even their COVID status, the only true way to reduce contagion would be to ban based on passport...

Yet another example of some people ruining it for everybody else...
Is this trying to show an example of a lie?
The only people that have been banned based on their residency/citizenship are Chinese, with some countries singling out Wuhan/Hubei. Other than that it is based on where you have been in the past 14 or 30 days.
Now you may not have a valid visa anymore, as many countries declared visas previously obtained invalid, but countries aren't banning based on citizenship.
I guess you might as well say people are banned based on race.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Yes, in this very forum (not BA board) several people clearly wrote they will create fake negative COVID test results, even giving into details on how to forge them. Others reported lying to Border Police in the UK and some were asking for ways to go around the requirements including the possibility of lying about the travel history. Several were clearly writing violating those regulations were a civic duty against tyranny. So if a few people on FT were hell bent on doing it it means in the population of traveler at large there is a small percentage thinking/doing the same.
I have been in Flyertalk these 20 years. One thing that I learned a long time ago was to basically separate what I believed and that which I did not believe. I also read about things happening aboard British Airways that was totally at odds with what I thought was possible. I saw enough to fill a book of Tales From The Galley - but there were stories of urine soaked seats and other pretty subjects that I simply could not believe. There was one individual, a Travel Agent, who was a late arrival on a connection and who was downgraded. He would have had us believe that he took BA to court in some state-or other I forget which; and that with his award went out and bought a Palm Tree. The poor thing has probably been long blown away in a storm.

I learned also that what people say they did and did not do, say or did not say and so forth were impossible to prove. Thus you may believe these alleged conversations (which I happen not to have seen so thank you for telling me about them) but I really don't care as I have no way of knowing. I was not there. So, I take these assertions with a heavy pinch of salt. Lying to the authorities is a serious matter and getting caught out brings its own penalties. You keep safe and I hope that most of community do likewise.
dcmike, lhrsfo, ExpatExp and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have been in Flyertalk these 20 years. One thing that I learned a long time ago was to basically separate what I believed and that which I did not believe. I also read about things happening aboard British Airways that was totally at odds with what I thought was possible. I saw enough to fill a book of Tales From The Galley - but there were stories of urine soaked seats and other pretty subjects that I simply could not believe. There was one individual, a Travel Agent, who was a late arrival on a connection and who was downgraded. He would have had us believe that he took BA to court in some state-or other I forget which; and that with his award went out and bought a Palm Tree. The poor thing has probably been long blown away in a storm.

I learned also that what people say they did and did not do, say or did not say and so forth were impossible to prove. Thus you may believe these alleged conversations (which I happen not to have seen so thank you for telling me about them) but I really don't care as I have no way of knowing. I was not there. So, I take these assertions with a heavy pinch of salt. Lying to the authorities is a serious matter and getting caught out brings its own penalties. You keep safe and I hope that most of community do likewise.
The near-complete anonymity of an internet chat room means that those of us who have been around here long enough have developed a rather keen sense to allow us to distinguish between those who tell tall tales on the keyboard and who are tough guys in the real world.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The near-complete anonymity of an internet chat room means that those of us who have been around here long enough have developed a rather keen sense to allow us to distinguish between those who tell tall tales on the keyboard and who are tough guys in the real world.
Indeed, as with those who come on here blustering about whatever who would not say boo to a goose in actuality. On threads over some service issue, I often wonder why they said nothing at the time. It's too late to put matters right here.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is this trying to show an example of a lie?
The only people that have been banned based on their residency/citizenship are Chinese, with some countries singling out Wuhan/Hubei. Other than that it is based on where you have been in the past 14 or 30 days.
Now you may not have a valid visa anymore, as many countries declared visas previously obtained invalid, but countries aren't banning based on citizenship.
I guess you might as well say people are banned based on race.
Travel bans in many a place have been largely based on country of citizenship as indicated by passport. The EU’s Schengen ban this year has been one such ban and it currently bans most US passport-users from entry to the Schengen zone — even as there continue to be exemptions applicable to a subset of US passport users. For what it’s worth, one of the “loophole” talkers being talked about in this thread is formally entitled to one or more exemption categories when it comes to the EU’s Schengen ban applicable to third country nationals.

Being entitled to an exemption category to a travel ban and then using the due exemption? That has nothing to do with being a “tough guy” or not. It has to do with the lawful opportunity to see how the trip goes when entitled to an exemption category and using it lawfully as and how desired.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 26, 2020 at 5:24 am
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Travel bans in many a place have been largely based on country of citizenship as indicated by passport. The EU’s Schengen ban this year has been one such ban and it currently bans most US passport-users from entry to the Schengen zone — even as there continue to be exemptions applicable to a subset of US passport users. For what it’s worth, one of the “loophole” talkers being talked about in this thread is formally entitled to one or more exemption categories when it comes to the EU’s Schengen ban applicable to third country nationals.
https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...ng-pandemic_en
I cannot find the words 'United States' in the document. Cam you show me where it talks about US citizens?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...ng-pandemic_en
I cannot find the words 'United States' in the document. Cam you show me where it talks about US citizens?
The document you linked refers to all travel from outside the EU+ zone subject to the exemption provisions listed:

Scope
The temporary travel restriction should apply to all non-essential travel from third countries to the EU+ area.
GUWonder and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Originally Posted by golfmad
The document you linked refers to all travel from outside the EU+ zone subject to the exemption provisions listed:

Scope
The temporary travel restriction should apply to all non-essential travel from third countries to the EU+ area.
Yes, but GUwonder seemed to say US citizens were singled out. I do not see any evidence of that.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, but GUwonder seemed to say US citizens were singled out. I do not see any evidence of that.
That is not what I said, and I have known for months now that the EU/Schengen ban covered way more than just US citizens.

I was indicating that US citizens in the main were already banned on the basis of citizenship, and so we were already past the need to assume (as per this thread title) that Europe bans Americans. After all, the ban was already in place and applicable to most Americans for some months already.

The EU has basically decided to maintain the ban in such a way that US citizens will be amongst those who remain banned by the Schengen area even beyond July 1st. Exemptions remain for some Americans too, and I am a beneficiary of exemption categories.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Seems to be official now:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ns/ar-BB161dqU
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
It must be said, this article whether accurate or not brings no accuracy for US citizens around the world. Hopefully we’ll learn the results soon (and hopefully the US is not about to self-destruct)
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
What's also interesting is there are already stories about countries like Greece, where 25% of their economy is from tourism, trying to figure out ways around this ban because they want the American tourism dollars!

It brings up the point about whether Greece should be allowed to decide their own fate "their country, their rules" or whether they must submit to the EU overlords on something that has this large an effect on their economy and less an effect on the economy of other EU countries.
Particularly painful when these same EU members closed their borders to each other during this Covid epidemic when the EU laws said they were not supposed to be able to do that.

Points to ponder as we see Government and "science" interact, supposedly in "our" best interest.

All the best.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I wonder if the short term answer to this one will end up seeing flights allowed from the north-east and mid-west where things are relatively under control, but not from elsewhere within the US. Coupled with the internal quarantine the 8 states in these areas have announced, it might keep risk at an acceptable level whilst getting some commerce going between London and NY/Boston/Washington, whilst also being politically expedient.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mnhusker
What's also interesting is there are already stories about countries like Greece, where 25% of their economy is from tourism, trying to figure out ways around this ban because they want the American tourism dollars!

It brings up the point about whether Greece should be allowed to decide their own fate "their country, their rules" or whether they must submit to the EU overlords on something that has this large an effect on their economy and less an effect on the economy of other EU countries.
Particularly painful when these same EU members closed their borders to each other during this Covid epidemic when the EU laws said they were not supposed to be able to do that.

Points to ponder as we see Government and "science" interact, supposedly in "our" best interest.

All the best.
The reason Greece is shouting so loud here is not just because tourism is a big % of GDP, but also because they target the US market so heavily. The US is the third biggest tourist market by income for Greece after Germany and the UK. The US accounts for 6.6% of Greek inbound tourist revenue according to this INSETE study - https://insete.gr/meletes/2004_COVID...ek_Tourism.pdf

The position is somewhat different in, e.g., Spain, which is also hugely reliant on Germany and the UK but with the US a relatively less important contributor (this Spanish study is a bit older and focuses on visitor numbers rather than income but effectively makes that point) - https://www.ine.es/en/daco/daco42/fr...tur0717_en.pdf

Even if we are just looking at things economically and ignoring epidemiology (arguably why the US has got itself into this situation in the first place...), the other key factor here to consider is, of course, what other tourists will think about sharing a resort with relatively high risk travelers from the US. If a European country reopens borders to American residents but other Europeans then avoid traveling there even in small numbers in favour of somewhere else perceived as safer that could be an own goal.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Don’t forget that the US currently effectively prohibits entry to travellers from Europe and there has been no mention of that restriction being lifted despite every single EU country having lower infection rates than the USA. There is no chance that the EU will generally allow travellers from America to enter the EU unless that step is reciprocated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.