Let's assume Europe bans Americans....

Old Jun 24, 20, 7:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 693
Let's assume Europe bans Americans....

Let's assume Europe bans Americans.... is that cause for a refund on BA (assuming you're American and booked tickets many months ago)?

Trip is on 06 Aug. USA -> BCN. AA/BA metal, BA code flights.

Thanks FT!
spongenotbob is offline  
Old Jun 24, 20, 10:04 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 44
At the moment, I am only concerned about the UK. Still have fingers crossed all is well come the end of October for my paid for trip to London. Was planning to do a day trip to Paris, but I am sure I can find somewhere else to go for a day trip.
BXK_Oz is online now  
Old Jun 24, 20, 11:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Posts: 4,368
You can already take a Future Travel Voucher for an August booking, allowing you to apply the ticket voucher for a future booking up to April 2022.

If you specifically mean a cash refund, the situation in August under a ban would be no different to the current June closed borders, so donít expect the voluntary policy to change from a voucher to a refund.

Is your starting point a designated US entry airport or not. If the US entry restrictions continue, your flight may be cancelled and in that case you can get a refund, so just wait for now unless you want to get rebooked.
pauldb is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 12:09 am
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 13,126
Americans will not be banned from travelling to Europe. The EU may decide to restrict travel for individuals who have been present or travelled through the USA in the 14 days immediately prior to intended date of arrival in the EU. This is no different to the current travel restriction in the opposite direction.
steveggetit and Often1 like this.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 12:57 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Posts: 4,368
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Americans will not be banned from travelling to Europe. The EU may decide to restrict travel for individuals who have been present or travelled through the USA in the 14 days immediately prior to intended date of arrival in the EU. This is no different to the current travel restriction in the opposite direction.
I thought the closed borders operate, and would continue to operate, based on citizenship. American citizen cannot enter unless they have a residency/family/functional exemption.
pauldb is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:10 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 27,274
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Americans will not be banned from travelling to Europe. The EU may decide to restrict travel for individuals who have been present or travelled through the USA in the 14 days immediately prior to intended date of arrival in the EU. This is no different to the current travel restriction in the opposite direction.
American citizens are (broadly) currently banned from entering most EU countries and this is likely to be extended. This does not automatically give rise to an airfare refund.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:19 am
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 13,126
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
American citizens are (broadly) currently banned from entering most EU countries and this is likely to be extended. This does not automatically give rise to an airfare refund.
As are much of the world’s population. However, the premise of this thread is “Let's assume Europe bans Americans....” - whilst the EU have not yet made any announcement, the premise is (wrongly in my view) based on nationality rather than travel history.

Should the EU prevent travel from those who have a recent travel history in specific counties, BA’s ‘book with confidence’ policy would apply for travel up to the end of September and no doubt that will be extended should further travel restrictions be imposed.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Programs: BA Gold,LH Silver,
Posts: 67
Good morning

But we do have to forget that Donald Trump has one of the key ( maybe the biggest ) of the travel ban between Europe and US : Proclamation 1993 . So EU can say yes US citizens can enter but if Donald Trump do not throw away proclamation 1993 , EU citizens and the US citizens would not be able to travel .
PS : Sorry for my bad English .
FromGVA is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:55 am
  #9  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 45,134
I think this is all going to become clearer in the next 5 to 10 days so the OP best wait until decisions are made. At which point airlines will readjust their schedules and that may provide opportunties to the OP. However broadly the landscape is that if you reside in the USA you probably won't be allowed into the European mainland until the epidemic is under better control (so November on current trends), however you would be able to enter UK and perhaps Ireland subject to two weeks of self isolation. The exception will be USA residents holding EU++ passports who can return "home", either with or without self isolation. France has a longstanding policy of reciprocity in this area, so that will concentrate some positions away from an early release until the Proclamation is lifted.

If November turns out to the date, then I would expect BA to extend BWC on at least that sector to November too.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jun 25, 20, 3:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,216
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
As are much of the world’s population. However, the premise of this thread is “Let's assume Europe bans Americans....” - whilst the EU have not yet made any announcement, the premise is (wrongly in my view) based on nationality rather than travel history.

Should the EU prevent travel from those who have a recent travel history in specific counties, BA’s ‘book with confidence’ policy would apply for travel up to the end of September and no doubt that will be extended should further travel restrictions be imposed.
Because people have clearly been willing to lie about their recent travel history and even their COVID status, the only true way to reduce contagion would be to ban based on passport...

Yet another example of some people ruining it for everybody else...
CoweyB likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 3:49 am
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 13,126
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Because people have clearly been willing to lie about their recent travel history and even their COVID status, the only true way to reduce contagion would be to ban based on passport...

Yet another example of some people ruining it for everybody else...
Have they?

Has any state within the EU indicated they would restrict travel to their country based solely on the nationality or passport an individual holds?
seawolf, LCY8737, Arsey00 and 1 others like this.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:03 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bombay
Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 483
The way the rules are implemented might vary from one country to another, but speaking for Norway any resident of an approved country may enter regardless of citizenship. However, if you are resident in a non-approved country then you will be allowed entry if you are a citizen of an approved country OR travel is deemed essential or you are an immediate family member. I.e., an American citizen resident in Denmark can enter freely, but if resident in Sweden or the US it will have to be essential/immediate family.

All arrivals from outside the approved zone is subject to a 10 day quarantine. If travelling for work you may attend to your business, but you should remain at your lodgings during your spare time.

So yes, your citizenship is relevant.
GUWonder and Dover2Golf like this.
RoyalSwazi is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:16 am
  #13  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,706
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Because people have clearly been willing to lie about their recent travel history and even their COVID status, the only true way to reduce contagion would be to ban based on passport...

Yet another example of some people ruining it for everybody else...
Really? Your basis of this statement is what, may I ask?

I understand that there is a list of approximately 50 countries which may be allowed entry, and the United States is not one of them. All that said, this is absolutely speculative at this time and will no doubt become clearer as the days progress.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:32 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,163
In this open world there is very little can be done if somebody wishes to obfuscate their recent travels. However, generally, I believe people are being honest. After all, this can seriously affect anybody, even the few that may think themselves "invincible" or "immune".

Perhaps craigthemif was referring to the "Dublin Dodge" whereby entry to the UK without quarantine can be achieved by travelling via Ireland. A loophole as foolish as the UK conception of the quarantine in the first place.
Tafflyer is online now  
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:44 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 27,274
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
In this open world there is very little can be done if somebody wishes to obfuscate their recent travels. However, generally, I believe people are being honest. After all, this can seriously affect anybody, even the few that may think themselves "invincible" or "immune".
I disagree. If you show up at an international border and you are asked some fairly basic questions you can either lie or tell the truth. If you lie, or answer in a way that is unexpected to the officer, you'll likely face probing questions. It does not take long to expose the truth, and that will come with some possibly serious consequences. It would not be unusual at all for the officer to ask you to provide some sort of evidence that your story is true (receipts, reservations, etc).
Tobias-UK likes this.
LondonElite is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: