Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by testycal
I am one of many who flew 747's in economy and I very much enjoyed my time in that plane. Favourite seat ...doubles at the rear.
Of course. Just that they were noisy and the air quality isn't like the A350/B787. I flew them in the back more than a few times as well, just not on BA. I realise now that it sounded a bit snobbish. :-) I just was lucky that my adventure with BA started with a very generous travel policy at my then employer.

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy one. We already have a qualified driver.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very sad day, but one we all knew was coming. One of the most memorable 744 flights was in August 2009, boarding with my parents and fiancee in PHX, to find it was just the four of us in F all the way home. We sat in 1A/K & 2A/K, but had dinner set for four in 4E/F. Now THAT was a fine flying experience... kinda felt guilty as it was all on Avios ;-)

There was something about see the 744 landing against that amazing red rock background in Arizona.

Talking of PHX, should have been flying there in a couple of hours' time for our summer hols. The 'your flight is open for check-in' via the BA app yesterday afternoon was a particularly cruel message to get.....
ExpatExp and Keystone like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:22 am

Sad day.. RIP! I'm happy i got to fly on top deck last year.. first time and the last

Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
Very sad day, but one we all knew was coming. One of the most memorable 744 flights was in August 2009, boarding with my parents and fiancee in PHX, to find it was just the four of us in F all the way home. We sat in 1A/K & 2A/K, but had dinner set for four in 4E/F. Now THAT was a fine flying experience... kinda felt guilty as it was all on Avios ;-)

There was something about see the 744 landing against that amazing red rock background in Arizona.

Talking of PHX, should have been flying there in a couple of hours' time for our summer hols. The 'your flight is open for check-in' via the BA app yesterday afternoon was a particularly cruel message to get.....
At least you still have your FT Handle.. I hope you're not planning to change it!
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
At least you still have your FT Handle.. I hope you're not planning to change it!
That will NEVER change! Ever!
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Ah, the memories.

I'll forever treasure my first ever flight - on a BA 747 (probably 100 or 200 as had to stop in Bahrain or Sharjah en-route to Singapore) - mainly as it was so unforgettable (recounted https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28333986-post44.html)

First aircraft type I was ever upgraded on (thanks NWA), flew nervously on my maiden RTW trip as a nervous 17 year old (cheers Thai!) and later my first emergency landing (that's you Air China 747 )

Mainly flying Eastwards these days i've had less opportunities, and most of my long haul flying I choose A380/A350 as a more comfortable alternative over 747 options, so I won't be shedding tears. Despite dozens of flights on them and numerous carriers, I can't remember my last 747 flight - may even have been Malaysia Airlines - which retired theirs a fair old while ago.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:57 am

In a strange way, I’m quite pleased that I didn’t know at the time that my last 744 flight would, in fact, be my last 744 flight. It was just as normal, peaceful and professional as a TATL redeye can be.

Thanks for all the good times. I loved that upper deck and, man, 62A - what a seat.
Stevee365 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC
By the skin of my teeth..
My last flight in 2020 was in March jus before the lockdown and was my first, and now only, time flying upper deck on a 747... I'm glad I got to experience it and I can see why so many were fond of the UD...
It's a shame I won't get a chance of a repeat
flying_geek likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
My first ever BA 747 flight was on a 100 series back in October 1980 from LHR to Miami. In a strange co-incidence, it turns out that my last BA 747 flight (-400 series this time obviously) was thirty-eight years later in October 2018 from.... Miami to LHR. Whilst I'd love to have had one more flight, this somehow seems like a fitting end.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
In a strange way, I’m quite pleased that I didn’t know at the time that my last 744 flight would, in fact, be my last 744 flight. It was just as normal, peaceful and professional as a TATL redeye can be.

Thanks for all the good times. I loved that upper deck and, man, 62A - what a seat.
My last flight was on 17 March coming back from JFK. It was my last long haul flight before lockdown in the UK. I usually try and get to sleep straight away on such a short overnight but I had decided to stay up as long as possible to enjoy it as I knew it would be a while before I might be travelling again. I didn't realise the enormity of what has unfolded and that it would be the last time on a BA 747.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've been lucky enough to travel in all 4 classes. Several times upstairs and Mrs Toothy and I in 1AK too, which was our first First (to LAX on our way to HNL).

They will always bring fond memories.

As others have said, it was coming. We flew F to Vancouver on the A380 last year and you could really tell the difference in ages of the planes. No view out of the front windows though and upstairs was like being on a private plane

I hope that they manage to keep one or two at museums somewhere, to show what it was like. As others have said, from my understanding it really changed air travel.

T
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
My very first, and now last flight on a 747 ended up being on the exact same aircraft. The first was Y to JFK, and then J back from MIA.

The goal was to try and get a UD experience before 2024, but I’ll settle with finally getting to fly in J on my last trip.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I will miss the 744 ( last trip was in 2018 to Las Vegas as 2019 was spent going eastbound on 777s/A3350s) and we were due to go on it to LAS in April this year.

Loved the upper deck and also F . In rows 1&2 you were ahead of the flight deck and you heard the thump thump on take off as the nose wheels went over the runway centre lighting followed by the noise of the nosewheel being raised and lowered after takeoff and before landing

Regards

TBS

PS I would love to see one in a museum ( full size version not just a fuselage cross section). At the Museum of Flight near Edinburgh they had sections ( including the flight deck )of a BOAC 707 ( beside the concorde) and the polished BOAC livery was magnificent

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 17, 2020 at 6:56 am
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:37 am

Given how well she served Arizona, be lovely if they donated one to the Pima Air & Space Museum just outside Tucson, otherwise know as the best museum in the world.... EVER. They've got an early 747 there, but how good would it be to see one maintained in BA colours, in the desert, forever. Would certainly be an awesome sight.

JimEddie likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Somewhat fittingly, both my first and last flight on the 747 were in Landor livery. First was in July 1998 to ORD on G-AWNM, then after 122 other sectors on the Queen, we travelled back from SAN on Jan 2nd 2020 (63JK & 64JK) on G-BNLY. Along the way we've had some great times aboard, especially when my daughter tried to re-create the Matt Whitlock photo 3 days later as we returned from NBO. Will miss the UD & row 1 for the novelty of the forward view (although I did prefer row 2) as I'm not sure those experiences will ever be repeated in the aircraft of the future.

toothy and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.