Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It has flight crew bunks but not cabin crew.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
So assuming that SAN is open again to international flights (it will be after the election so that is more likely......)
I really cannot see the 747 back in action this year. They are all mothballed and there is just not the demand. For a secondary route to the USA I would suspect at best this will be a 787-8 by then. If you think of nearby LAX at this time of year it would normally take 2xA380's - it currently has a 787-9 and its hardly full. That is a huge capacity drop and that is replicated everywhere. There is simply not demand and it would require a colossal surge in demand to need a 747 to SAN in 6 months......
A380's and 747's are for reminiscing at the moment sadly. I personally don't see the 747 coming back. the A380 might but even that to me looks doubtful - AF has just retired the entire fleet and LH has already announced a reduction of 50%. Bar a few routes (HKG, SIN, JNB) where, if there is demand for 400+ passengers a day, you could just have a single service as multiple services tend to go within a couple of hours of each other, I think the A380 is looking vulnerable......

FD.
exactly and thats WITH AA having removed their flights to/from LAX!

given AA has pulled all LAX flights thru end of year, its clear the airlines do not expect much uptick in international demand as we head into winter. and yes, i'm curious too as i have a LHR-JFK and LAX-LHR both on 747s in NOV/DEC which obviously will not proceed on 747s, but eagerly await to see what the LAX replacement will be.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There is definitely something special about climbing those stairs to the upper deck. Still my favourite cabin in the air.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It has flight crew bunks but not cabin crew.
Thanks CIHY.

I wonder why, is it a cost issue not to have cabin crew bunks!?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:28 am

I currently have 4 747 bookings; ORD in Oct, JFK in Nov, CPT in Jan & SJC in April.

Whether the US is open to tourists and the flights operate at all is a question but realistically ORD & JFK are destinations that require an F cabin. You could probably say the same for CPT so that means 777 or 789/10. It’s possible SJC could go to a smaller aircraft but as this drags on it’s probably more likely to be culled
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I currently have 4 747 bookings; ORD in Oct, JFK in Nov, CPT in Jan & SJC in April.

Whether the US is open to tourists and the flights operate at all is a question but realistically ORD & JFK are destinations that require an F cabin. You could probably say the same for CPT so that means 777 or 789/10. It’s possible SJC could go to a smaller aircraft but as this drags on it’s probably more likely to be culled
At the moment I think all bets are off and if you need to go somewhere you just have to be thankful there is a flight that day......... It is like being in the 1960's......
FD.
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
Thanks CIHY.

It was decided that the 787-10 won't be used on routes of sufficient length that require Cabin Crew bunks. The galley space has also been reduced so there's no space for a second hot meal service. Make of that what you will...but obviously means more seats in the cabin.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
Both cost and design.

Boeing did not intend the -10 to be used on longer-range routes. It’s designed for high capacity medium-length ones, which typically do not require cabin crew to have bunk rest (hence the higher payload-to-range ratio). Therefore cabin crew bunks were made a non-standard design element, which in turn means that any airline that wants them has to pay for them. BA took the standard view aligned with Boeing’s offer and chose not to pay the significant additional costs to design and fit them.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The -10 is what’s known in the trade as a ‘simple stretch’ of the -9. The weight of the longer fuselage and extra payload is a direct trade-off against the range capability of the -9. So the -10 is incapable of flying as far as the -9 with an economic payload. Therefore there will by definition be reduced need for crew rest or additional meal service.
Will100 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Starship73
The -10 is what’s known in the trade as a ‘simple stretch’ of the -9. The weight of the longer fuselage and extra payload is a direct trade-off against the range capability of the -9. So the -10 is incapable of flying as far as the -9 with an economic payload. Therefore there will by definition be reduced need for crew rest or additional meal service.
So presumable bought to serve:
USA East Coast and Mid US
Middle East and India
Maybe at a push US West Coast
Canada
Northern part of Africa
Would that be about right - so a range of around 4,500nm or can it go further?
FD.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:40 am

so a range of around 4,500nm or can it go further?
FD.
Boeing say the range of the -10 is 6,345nm but there are so many variables to take into account. Mind you, BA have relatively few seats on theirs compared to other airlines so they could maybe eek out a few more nm's if the crew bunks weren't an issue.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:40 am

I think Seattle is as far as it can go in the US with no bunks/2nd hot meal.

While the 787-10 could go further, bunks would reduce seat count, extra galley storage would reduce seat count, and even with the reduced seat count would have to cap the number of passengers and cargo below capacity on the longer routes - the negatives vastly outweigh the benefits of fitting it out for longer flights. Plus probable changes to MTOW and Engine options
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by JFX1764
I think Seattle is as far as it can go in the US with no bunks/2nd hot meal.

While the 787-10 could go further, bunks would reduce seat count, extra galley storage would reduce seat count, and even with the reduced seat count would have to cap the number of passengers and cargo below capacity on the longer routes - the negatives vastly outweigh the benefits of fitting it out for longer flights. Plus probable changes to MTOW and Engine options
And BA have the A350 and 777ERs so don't need to push the -10 to its limits.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So presumable bought to serve:
USA East Coast and Mid US
Middle East and India
Maybe at a push US West Coast
Canada
Northern part of Africa
Would that be about right - so a range of around 4,500nm or can it go further?
FD.
basically an A market 777 or, back in time, 747 Classic routes.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:41 pm

I saw somewhere else the 14 week plan for BAMC - according to that sept 1 they will start operating 12 B747 again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.