Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Details of BAs crew wage proposal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Will100
Amazon drivers in London have been earning £180 a day according to one I spoke to the other day.

I make that circa £45k.
If they work 5 days a week every week- no holidays.
Google suggests up to £14 an hour- £110 a day with zero hours contracts, split shifts and £28 a day to hire the van
So for £180 they must be working long days.

Article from 2019 says £12-£15 an hour for shifts of between one and four hours. Out of that, drivers have to pay for their own vehicle, fuel and expenses, including tolls and congestion charges.

Pay rates shouldn't be a race to the bottom.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jun 21, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
If they work 5 days a week every week- no holidays.
Google suggests up to £14 an hour- £110 a day with zero hours contracts, split shifts and £28 a day to hire the van
So for £180 they must be working long days.

Article from 2019 says £12-£15 an hour for shifts of between one and four hours. Out of that, drivers have to pay for their own vehicle, fuel and expenses, including tolls and congestion charges.

Pay rates shouldn't be a race to the bottom.
That was my point, I was surprised he was actually paid quite well.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Certainly not Mr Len McCluskey on his 6 figure salary + pension.
ML
Deserves ever penny. I’ d pay him a lot more for what he does (no sarcasm).
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:55 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Deserves ever penny. I’ d pay him a lot more for what he does (no sarcasm).
Exactly what has he does that is of benefit to the union members regarding this dispute then? Do tell exactly how the position has changed for the good of the BA staff from the day when BA announced the 12,000 redundancies?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:14 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Rexan
All BA seem to be doing (to me) is trying to impose the market rate on their crew. If it was such a low offer, they could just move airline and make far more. The point BA will make is that the option to do that doesn’t exist, and as such, they are by definition therefore paying the market rate.
A point many have tried to make on here but equally many still put their fingers in their ears and say "la, la, la, I can't hear you".

Last edited by BOH; Jun 21, 2020 at 11:50 pm Reason: TMTM
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:15 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Sigwx; Jun 21, 2020 at 7:13 pm
Old Jun 21, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by BOH
A point many have tried to make on here but equally many still put their fingers in their ears and say "la, la, la, I can't hear you"
The point has certainly been made on this thread, and the one now closed, by none more insistently than you. You seem tone deaf to the effect this is having on those impacted. For the record, I agree the company must take extreme measures, and two months ago posted to that effect. Those impacted by the current economic earthquake, in this thread the BA crew community specifically, understandably do not want economics 101 repetitively lobbed into the conversation. Their concern is the sudden and potentially violent disruption of their economic position and future. You are arguing the why, they are concerned with the result; you are talking at cross-purposes, and it isn't edifying. It is possible to understand the company's perspective and actions, while grasping the devastating impact it will have on the people caught up in it.

Maybe you could interpret the responses you are are replying to more from the latter perspective before explaining again the former? Just a thought.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I just wanted to say on a personal level I am sorry for the thousands of people across BA who this is happening to. It must be an incredibly stressful time and this situation has arisen through absolutely no fault of any BA employee.

On the ‘MF earn the market rate because there are loads of applicants’ and ‘look at how much nurses get paid!’ arguments, I’d just say that whilst doubtless due to recent events there will be plenty of ex Flybe, Monarch and Thomas Cook people out there, BA has historically positioned itself above them (and the LCCs) in the market. It has therefore historically attracted very different types of people to various roles, including to senior cabin crew positions. How many UK airlines are there with a shorthaul business class cabin or a longhaul first class cabin? Or an Arrivals Lounge, First lounge, the need for ticket trained people, and who deal with truly international connecting passengers daily? How many are based at Heathrow & have to live close to there? Bit different to Jet2 crew based in Leeds or Birmingham. People apply to BA partly because of the prestige. I’d argue that the comparison between a BA CSD with 35 years’ experience and a delivery driver is misplaced.

It also makes me chuckle as there are plenty of lawyer, finance, consultant and other ‘professional services’ type people (I’m one of them) on here who earn much more than a delivery driver or a nurse. If we were told to take a pay cut to £28k in London & by the way we don’t need partners (our equivalent of CSDs) any more and we’re just going to rely on graduates/trainees to do everything (and offer them no incentive to stay & build a career because the standard is simply will there still be applicants for the job), and by the way Senior Associates, your role is being abolished so if you do re-apply you are likely to be managed by a 2nd year graduate, I wonder what we’d all think / say. After all, there are plenty of people with law degrees out there who would do almost anything to get in and Jones & Co accountants in Barnstaple or Anytown & Partners in Runcorn pay their accountants / lawyers £20k. Seems like market to me to work in the city - the demands of the job are just the same...

Many feel that nurses & delivery drivers are both in real terms and in absolute terms underpaid. That’s not an argument for a race to the bottom and it doesn’t take away from how difficult, personally, this must be for BA people.

Presumably the board have agreed to a similar cut in their own remuneration in proportion?

I get where people are coming from on this, but don’t forget that for the real people whose lives this will really affect - the same people who we have all been looked after by and who have put up with us for years - this is personal & is difficult. Just because others have gone before does not make it less so. I thought a bit of empathy & support might be nice.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jun 22, 2020 at 12:21 am
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:52 am

As the pilot says at the beginning of every flight, the cabin crew are "here primarily for your safety".

I for one would prefer a number of well experienced staff on board (as well as some less experienced) who instinctively know how to help to save lives in an emergency situation. Hopefully they will never need to, but if the crew is mainly made up of the cheapest staff available, I am not sure they would be as effective.

Does anyone else consider this in their value judgement?
PaulJWoodgate, James91 and OhLordy like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:58 am

Cabin crew are evaluated on their situational awareness and response time during training. I don't see how pay will change that, unless you're suggesting they're going to make training cutbacks which I doubt would be legal.
TheMan123 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I just wanted to say on a personal level I am sorry for the thousands of people across BA who this is happening to. It must be an incredibly stressful time and this situation has arisen through absolutely no fault of any BA employee.

On the ‘MF earn the market rate because there are loads of applicants’ and ‘look at how much nurses get paid!’ arguments, I’d just say that whilst doubtless due to recent events there will be plenty of ex Flybe, Monarch and Thomas Cook people out there, BA has historically positioned itself above them (and the LCCs) in the market. It has therefore historically attracted very different types of people to various roles, including to senior cabin crew positions. How many UK airlines are there with a shorthaul business class cabin or a longhaul first class cabin? Or an Arrivals Lounge, First lounge, the need for ticket trained people, and who deal with truly international connecting passengers daily? How many are based at Heathrow & have to live close to there? Bit different to Jet2 crew based in Leeds or Birmingham. People apply to BA partly because of the prestige. I’d argue that the comparison between a BA CSD with 35 years’ experience and a delivery driver is misplaced.

It also makes me chuckle as there are plenty of lawyer, finance, consultant and other ‘professional services’ type people (I’m one of them) on here who earn much more than a delivery driver or a nurse. If we were told to take a pay cut to £28k in London & by the way we don’t need partners (our equivalent of CSDs) any more and we’re just going to rely on graduates/trainees to do everything (and offer them no incentive to stay & build a career because the standard is simply will there still be applicants for the job), and by the way Senior Associates, your role is being abolished so if you do re-apply you are likely to be managed by a 2nd year graduate, I wonder what we’d all think / say. After all, there are plenty of people with law degrees out there who would do almost anything to get in and Jones & Co accountants in Barnstaple or Anytown & Partners in Runcorn pay their accountants / lawyers £20k. Seems like market to me to work in the city - the demands of the job are just the same...

Many feel that nurses & delivery drivers are both in real terms and in absolute terms underpaid. That’s not an argument for a race to the bottom and it doesn’t take away from how difficult, personally, this must be for BA people.

Presumably the board have agreed to a similar cut in their own remuneration in proportion?

I get where people are coming from on this, but don’t forget that for the real people whose lives this will really affect - the same people who we have all been looked after by and who have put up with us for years - this is personal & is difficult. Just because others have gone before does not make it less so. I thought a bit of empathy & support might be nice.
Sadly some of the staff you mention from other airlines like Monarch and et al. had just gained new jobs at BA or are currently in the application stage. All very sad.
flygirl68, onobond and OhLordy like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Mint Fresh
Cabin crew are evaluated on their situational awareness and response time during training. I don't see how pay will change that, unless you're suggesting they're going to make training cutbacks which I doubt would be legal.
I am sure that the training won't change, but what value do you put on experience?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:23 am
BOH

Originally Posted by deep_south
As the pilot says at the beginning of every flight, the cabin crew are "here primarily for your safety".

I for one would prefer a number of well experienced staff on board (as well as some less experienced) who instinctively know how to help to save lives in an emergency situation. Hopefully they will never need to, but if the crew is mainly made up of the cheapest staff available, I am not sure they would be as effective.

Does anyone else consider this in their value judgement?
Personally no because all cabin crew on UK regulated airlines have very similar selection processes, training and regular competence assessment. The chances of me being on board a plane that has a CC member who has been through a full emergency evacuation experience for real is negligible. Very few CC will ever have done it for real anyway, on any airline.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Time for a break.

Some people need to think about the impact their repeated posts may be having on those who are directly affected by the consequences of the situation.

Please act with at least a modicum of sensitivity and humanity towards others. If you can't, I respectfully request you to refrain from posting.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
BOH, flygirl68, onobond and 6 others like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 22, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.