FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Details of BAs crew wage proposal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2020016-details-bas-crew-wage-proposal.html)

sxc Jun 19, 2020 8:52 am

Details of BAs crew wage proposal

Finally some concrete details on what BA is proposing for the new single fleet cabin crew package:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...r-mixed-fleet/Cabin crew:

Total target earnings: £28,000

Comprising:
  • Base salary – £17,000 (£16,000 for new entrants)
  • Duty pay based on hours flown – £3,000 to £5,000
  • Incentive pay – £1,000
  • Flex allowance – £850
  • Per diem – £3,500 to £5,500

bwaflyer Jun 19, 2020 9:04 am

Just to clarify, this is the second set of proposals, and is significantly improved from the original proposal. It still means permanent changes to T&Cs and scheduling agreements. These figures include payments that would be considered as expenses , and are based on the highest paying trips. Real life earning will be significantly less.

BAeuro Jun 19, 2020 9:08 am

But if Mixed Fleet actually get a rise then this is very good news.

13901 Jun 19, 2020 9:11 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 32469308)
Finally some concrete details on what BA is proposing for the new single fleet cabin crew package:

Comprising:
  • Incentive pay – £1,000
  • Flex allowance – £850

Still not that different from current MF pay. Assume £4k of duty pay/ £4k per diem (neither of which well explained), flex allowance is stuff like childcare vouchers etc, incentive is the 'bonus' which this year, despite a £1.9bn operating profit, no one in BA got... you get something in the region of £25k. Which is more or less what my OH gets as her P60 (main crew). But, hey, better than the previous one, and there's also VR. The TUs strategy isn't that useless after all.

Littlegirl Jun 19, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32469343)
Still not that different from current MF pay. Assume £4k of duty pay/ £4k per diem (neither of which well explained), flex allowance is stuff like childcare vouchers etc, incentive is the 'bonus' which this year, despite a £1.9bn operating profit, no one in BA got... you get something in the region of £25k. Which is more or less what my OH gets as her P60 (main crew). But, hey, better than the previous one, and there's also VR. The TUs strategy isn't that useless after all.

Actually the M/F bonus is different to the company bonus.

The flex allowance is not earnings, it is part of the pension, so not sure why they are quoting that. Basically it is a flexible part of the pension that you can use for dental treatment, child care or put into your pension.

Overall though it is an improvement on the first figures quoted.

JFX1764 Jun 19, 2020 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl (Post 32469378)
The flex allowance is not earnings, it is part of the pension, so not sure why they are quoting that. Basically it is a flexible part of the pension that you can use for dental treatment, child care or put into your pension.

I guess it's listed as earnings because in other jobs, spending on the options available (apart from pension) would come out of normal wages. But yes, can't be taken as salary, and only so high if you put max into pension isn't it?

V10 Jun 19, 2020 9:33 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32469343)

Important points, I think. Certainly I'm not in favour of including payments intended to reimburse expenses incurred whilst on duty as part of target earnings, and a bonus is just that - no guarantees and really there's a lot of scope to move the goalposts. I don't particularly like the idea of crew making sacrifices whilst on the job, in order to retain more of that per diem for use in the general household budget.

25k is around average earnings in the UK, so clearly plenty of people do manage to live on this sort of salary but individual choices will certainly have to be made.

13901 Jun 19, 2020 9:39 am

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 32469399)
Important points, I think. Certainly I'm not in favour of including payments intended to reimburse expenses incurred whilst on duty as part of target earnings, and a bonus is just that - no guarantees and really there's a lot of scope to move the goalposts. I don't particularly like the idea of crew making sacrifices whilst on the job, in order to retain more of that per diem for use in the general household budget.

25k is around average earnings in the UK, so clearly plenty of people do manage to live on this sort of salary but individual choices will certainly have to be made.

Before we get dragged in that discussion again, I don't dispute it's average earning in the UK, and I'm not saying it's high or low. I'm merely pointing out this offer isn't much different from what exists right now.

Mike P Jun 19, 2020 9:41 am

I think it is somewhat disingenuous to include a 'per diem' payment as part of a remuneration package when it's actually to cover expenses when travelling on business. When I travel on business, which in normal times I do for about 4 months a year, any expenses incurred from the moment I leave home to the moment I return are reimbursed by my employer. They are nothing to do with my remuneration package at all.

LifeontheBeach Jun 19, 2020 9:41 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 32469308)

Comprising:
  • Incentive pay – £1,000
  • Flex allowance – £850

What's the current Cabin Crew package?

V10 Jun 19, 2020 9:52 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32469417)
Before we get dragged in that discussion again, I don't dispute it's average earning in the UK, and I'm not saying it's high or low. I'm merely pointing out this offer isn't much different from what exists right now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking to disagree with what you're saying but it's inevitably a comparison that's going to be made. I don't actually consider it that helpful a comparison anyway, and prefer to ask whether it's fair compensation in return for the work and responsibility involved. My view - it may not be and it might well be a legitimate complaint for many other people doing completely different jobs who are in that same earnings bracket. That however is wider OMNI discussion.

BrianDromey Jun 19, 2020 9:56 am

Not for Mixed Fleet, but for World Wide and EuroFleet it is quite different, I would imagine?

This might have been covered before, but within WW or EF were there any opportunities for promotion to Purser/CSD/etc or was its a case of being 'stuck' where you were when the fleet closed?

Can I help you Jun 19, 2020 10:14 am

Absolutely no promotion.

lhrpete Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro (Post 32469339)
But if Mixed Fleet actually get a rise then this is very good news.

While many others are either made redundant or take a significant pay cut?

I wouldn't call that good news.

GBOAC Jun 19, 2020 10:47 am

How on earth are expenses/per dium's for time away from home to be considered salary/compensation package!???
I guess the a per dium is not included in PAYE, so no NI liability on that), but a high percentage/all of such payments go on what they are supposed to go on, and cannot be considered earnings.