Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JER-LHR launching

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Pilot37
August flights to JER now uploaded in the BA app, looks like up to 3 flights a day all from LHR.
I wonder what September will bring ... as our l/h is out of LGW, and has/had a convenient direct same-day connection! Oh, well, it's all a a dynamic environment.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Will we be allowed into Jersey for a day trip by August/September?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Will we be allowed into Jersey for a day trip by August/September?
Yes ... almost certainly. Our Border restrictions are being rolled back (in fits and starts).

There’s a States vote on Friday, but as ever back-benchers are fiddling and likely delaying proceedings ... it’s the Jersey Way, and why everything takes forever to be achieved here!! Latest news is >>> https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2...an-is-delayed/
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
There are now no known cases of covid in Jersey. This perhaps gives a little more strength to the back bencher's arguments to 'keep things that way'.

But with the tourist industry facing the biggest losses of its history, they need to accept a small amount of risk. Whilst I doubt EZY and BA would be so punitive as to not return for many months if things are pushed back another week (as suggested in the above linked JEP article), it would put doubt in the route planners minds for future resumption of services from the Island. BA at the very least have constructed a relatively solid recovery strategy for Jersey (1, 2, then 3 daily LHR services)... It would be madness to put that at risk.

T8191 and Never Stansted like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well put, Doc. Thanks for expanding on the subject ... iPad can be a bit limiting!
TraumaDoc likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:50 am

If Jersey stick with their current testing regime, I don’t see how a day trip or even 1 night break is possible. If the results take 72 hours to arrive, you would be gone by the time they are published (and I guess you would have to self isolate for your 1/2 day trip)
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Yes ... almost certainly. Our Border restrictions are being rolled back (in fits and starts).

There’s a States vote on Friday, but as ever back-benchers are fiddling and likely delaying proceedings ... it’s the Jersey Way, and why everything takes forever to be achieved here!! Latest news is >>> https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2...an-is-delayed/
It is beyond infuriating, unsurprisingly Friday's JER-LHR is packed (J2 Y1 when I last looked this morning)- I'm due to be on it! The EZY to LGW that evening is also very busy, lots of islanders are desperate to get back to the UK for various reasons. For those split between Jersey and the UK (a sizeable number) further delays will be a massive blow. Anxiously awaiting the go-ahead here!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If Jersey stick with their current testing regime, I don’t see how a day trip or even 1 night break is possible. If the results take 72 hours to arrive, you would be gone by the time they are published (and I guess you would have to self isolate for your 1/2 day trip)
They're quoting 12 hour turnaround for test results and not having to self isolate, but 'be sensible'.

If it were me going (which hopefully I will over the next couple of months) I would book myself a hotel for the 1st night before going to stay with slightly older family members. The only problem is that if you test positive, you would likely be stuck on the island... And whilst the views out of some hotel rooms are lovely, it would get old, and pricey, quite quickly.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
They're quoting 12 hour turnaround for test results and not having to self isolate, but 'be sensible'.

If it were me going (which hopefully I will over the next couple of months) I would book myself a hotel for the 1st night before going to stay with slightly older family members. The only problem is that if you test positive, you would likely be stuck on the island... And whilst the views out of some hotel rooms are lovely, it would get old, and pricey, quite quickly.
So frankly I could leave before the 12 hours and it would be irrelevant what I tested as. I guess day trippers like me are more unique so they haven’t really considered a plan for those not staying over.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
So frankly I could leave before the 12 hours and it would be irrelevant what I tested as. I guess day trippers like me are more unique so they haven’t really considered a plan for those not staying over.
This is exactly the issue the states are trying to resolve, ie what to do until results are back. There are generally lots of day trippers on business so this is a real potential problem.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:29 am

We have a flight 8th Sept LGW to JER cancelled today and replaced with same from LHR but atm our return on 10th Sept is still to LGW (a nuisance since we're connecting to a LH flight from LHR) do you think the move back to LGW is planned for 9/10th Sept or do you think they've just not yet changed the later Sept flights?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shelly67
We have a flight 8th Sept LGW to JER cancelled today and replaced with same from LHR but atm our return on 10th Sept is still to LGW (a nuisance since we're connecting to a LH flight from LHR) do you think the move back to LGW is planned for 9/10th Sept or do you think they've just not yet changed the later Sept flights?
Saldy, that’s part of the September lottery!

On ‘paper’ we have a nicely timed JER-LGW-ANU in Sep. If the JER goes to LHR, there’s an overnight stay involved before the LGW-ANU. At the moment we’re just riding the storm, and will ponder options a couole of weeks out. We haven’t even resolved how to cope with ANU’s current immigration rules yet!
wrp96 and shelly67 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

It will be interesting to see if the flight numbers for the JER-LHR services ever change from BA 2xxx - that would perhaps suggest more permanence.

As it is they show as 'Rerouted' in the App...

My next trip beyond London is a JER-LGW-MLA in September, and the LGW-MLA is at some horrid time like 6 am. If the LHR switch continues I might see if Air Malta rebooking is on the table...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

(though maybe I'm being illogical and either JER and MLA will both be moved to LHR, or both operate from LGW as planned?)
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Mine got moved to LHR today for late August weekend
The return had the same flight number as the original LGW
The outbound appeared as ‘cancelled but I was able to change flight on line and create my own outbound

For those concerned re short trips; it was highlighted up thread that you could get a test prior to leaving (within 72 hours) so you could travel knowing you are negative

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.