Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JER-LHR launching

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:29 pm
TGC

Programs: BA GGL
I had my first out (Fri) and back (Sat) flight from Jersey since March yesterday (It was a Blue Islands flight to SOU, which had no shops / cafes open at all in case anyone is interested). On landing we were held on the plane, till the EasyJet flight was fully boarded as they wanted no inbound and outbound passengers to mix in the terminal walkways to baggage (those were the exact words from ground staff to the cabin crew who I was stood next to when the door opened)

I was the first person off my plane and it took me close to 45 mins to get through testing, as they were still working on testing passengers from the prior arrival. The testing queue (for those that know the terminal building) snakes round the arrivals area to the right as you exit baggage. There are a lot of people and little distancing in the queues in those low ceiling parts of the old arrivals area - I felt more at risk of catching something in that queue, than from anywhere else I had been in months.

For those of us who will need to do overnight or day trips out, being able to do a test on departure would be a huge step forward, its no different to doing a test 72 hours out in the UK, so I will be suggesting that to the people running the program later today.
jmd likes this.

Last edited by TGC; Aug 1, 2020 at 11:38 pm
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:28 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by TGC

For those of us who will need to do overnight or day trips out, being able to do a test on departure would be a huge step forward, its no different to doing a test 72 hours out in the UK, so I will be suggesting that to the people running the program later today.
I’d be prepared to pay for pre-departure testing in JER, and I suspect that many others would be too. It would also help those travelling from JER to destinations like Madeira which also have a testing regime for inbound travellers.

Last edited by jmd; Aug 2, 2020 at 3:29 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Both valid points, but right now Jersey doesn't have sufficient capability to include non-essential testing, other than for Arrivals. I'm sure we all hope for enhanced capabilities further down the line ... especially, as noted, for those heading to destinations that require PCR test-in-advance.
jmd likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Just done my first flight of the year and it was with BA and to JER !

Points to note; Terminal 5 still pretty empty , temperature tests only applied to those doing self check in.
Galleries lounge surprisingly busy, loved the QR codes to get delivery of food and drink within 2 minutes , wuality of bacon rolls so much better than usual

On board lovely crew , one crew member made the odd announcement presumably from the old PA menu saying feel free to move around the cabin when the seat belt signs are off , this was contradicted by a later PA by the CSM saying keep movements to a minimum

War FFP3 mask just took it off for a single G and T
One passenger in club had a panic attack which was handled very well by the crew

Jersey airport very quiet, seems to only allow one load of passengers through arrivals at one time. Sting crooss winds so a hard bang on to the runway

Covid testing very efficient, couldn’t believe a fair amount of people hadn’t pre registered and got their QR code for covid testing Took about 45 mins to get through queue

The whole thing reminded me or arriving in a far flung country with complicated immigration and visa requirements

Its nice to be here though , thanks to Jersey Government for making this possible

Some apron pictures

Westerly approach

Deplaning infront of blue islands

BA A319

Empty check in hall to get hire care ‘welcome back’

Easyjet reflecting the recent rain
littlefish, T8191, James91 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about the rain ... it interrupted our Builders as well!

Nice on Sunday, apparently.
https://www.gov.je/Weather/Pages/Jersey-Forecast.aspx
allturnleft likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA
This is pure speculation and perhaps it's the wrong thread but with Aurigny bleeding money, I wonder if the states in Guernsey will offer BA a subsidy to run London services from GCI. It makes sense for the government to offload the most costly part of the state airlines and it makes sense for BA as it would be subsidized and allow them to use up 1 or 2 extra slot pairs. Just my guess based on the way the wind is blowing. I hope the JER service stays at Heathrow long term, could make an easier way of travelling between JER and GCI.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
This is pure speculation and perhaps it's the wrong thread but with Aurigny bleeding money, I wonder if the states in Guernsey will offer BA a subsidy to run London services from GCI. It makes sense for the government to offload the most costly part of the state airlines and it makes sense for BA as it would be subsidized and allow them to use up 1 or 2 extra slot pairs. Just my guess based on the way the wind is blowing. I hope the JER service stays at Heathrow long term, could make an easier way of travelling between JER and GCI.
Given Guernsey still requires isolation until the result at 7 days as a minimum, and by contrast to Jersey, the gov seams to want to stick to this until there is a vaccine, I don’t see BA being the rescue solution. The reality is that Guernsey will need to decide whether they are going to bail out the airline until flights resume, or allow it to likely fold and pick up the pieces after.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Jersey is introducing regional rather than national traffic lights for UK/Ireland/France from next week. Awaiting an announcement today of which regions in the UK will be downgraded to amber (or red).
littlefish likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by navylad
Jersey is introducing regional rather than national traffic lights for UK/Ireland/France from next week. Awaiting an announcement today of which regions in the UK will be downgraded to amber (or red).
How interesting. I wonder will London stay in Green.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:24 am

https://www.gov.je/Health/Coronaviru...elHistory.aspx

This is the new traffic light system for travellers to Jersey. It is much more granular than I could have imagined.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Wow it’s very specific.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wowza ... that has kept a few people busy micro-managing!! Not sure how it works in practice, driving from a UK Amber area to a Green airport ... I guess it’s down to individual integrity and a LOT of local management verifying/tracking/checking.

Good job our Malta trip was CNX by BA, as they’re now Jersey Red, 😢
And we have some holiday planning scheduled for this weekend ... to try to find somewhere we can go, and then get home without being ’confined to barracks’ on our return! 😷

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2...s-carried-out/
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Wowza ... that has kept a few people busy micro-managing!! Not sure how it works in practice, driving from a UK Amber area to a Green airport ... I guess it’s down to individual integrity and a LOT of local management verifying/tracking/checking.

Good job our Malta trip was CNX by BA, as they’re now Jersey Red, 😢
And we have some holiday planning scheduled for this weekend ... to try to find somewhere we can go, and then get home without being ’confined to barracks’ on our return! 😷

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2...s-carried-out/
Boo! on Malta, I guess Portugal is an option at the moment, or visiting somewhere else in the CTA.

I’m on the island for a few days. Have got Greece on a few weeks, not holding out that much hope, transport minister dropping hints about islands Potentially being considered separately for UK rules in future.

interesting, my cancelled flight back to the Uk was cancelled, my replacement flight on Wednesday is now a 320.
Jerseylily2 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by navylad
Boo! on Malta...
But comforting to see Pitcairn Islands in the green
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:00 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
https://www.gov.je/Health/Coronaviru...elHistory.aspx

This is the new traffic light system for travellers to Jersey. It is much more granular than I could have imagined.
Yes and no... while each London borough is considered separately, North Yorkshire (the biggest counties in England) is one area! Ditto Hampshire, Surrey...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.