Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pitiful [pre and in-flight F service to SFO]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)

I guess the fact that BA served the route at all is something in its favor, the rest was deplorable. My wife flew in F yesterday from SFO to LHR. No arrangements were even made to have a nice sitting area before the flight. It's one thing to have no food to offer, but not even a quiet chair? On board what was advertised was a hot food. To be true is was warmed, but it was still a tragic sandwich in a box. Desert was Kit Kat. No alcohol. Nobody can suggest that this was done for safety. And the difference between serving a soft drink and a decent wine is what exactly? Somehow LH and even AA are managing decent meals on long haul flights. Maybe it was done in remembrance of D Day....imitating the rationing of the war.
NoY, Lynyrd, eae and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: ba exec club
I can’t think SFO had any shortage of seating based on the current situation... 🙄
AlanA, kimberlyrose, aidy and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Not sure about the chair. What do you mean? Did you take any photos by any chance?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
I guess the fact that BA served the route at all is something in its favor, the rest was deplorable.
Were you aware of the changes to the service in the days leading up to departure?
Keystone and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I guess the fact that BA served the route at all is something in its favor, the rest was deplorable. My wife flew in F yesterday from SFO to LHR. No arrangements were even made to have a nice sitting area before the flight. It's one thing to have no food to offer, but not even a quiet chair? On board what was advertised was a hot food. To be true is was warmed, but it was still a tragic sandwich in a box. Desert was Kit Kat. No alcohol. Nobody can suggest that this was done for safety. And the difference between serving a soft drink and a decent wine is what exactly? Somehow LH and even AA are managing decent meals on long haul flights. Maybe it was done in remembrance of D Day....imitating the rationing of the war.
Sound be entitled to a refund for the difference between economy and first
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by hungry
Sound be entitled to a refund for the difference between economy and first
Only if you are prepared to pay the difference between First and Economy to get First food service in Y. A partial refund sounds entirely fair...but don't you think the value of the First SEAT should perhaps be taken into account?
AlanA and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:29 pm

Not shocking at all. This is BA after all.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
BA will say it’s adhering to the UK government’s guidance, namely to “reduce the food and drink service and use pre-packaged and sealed food and drink products”.

Of course one could argue that it could offer a significantly better product while still conforming with that advice - but it’s got a get out of jail free card and will no doubt use it if challenged.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
BA will say it’s adhering to the UK government’s guidance, namely to “reduce the food and drink service and use pre-packaged and sealed food and drink products”.

Of course one could argue that it could offer a significantly better product while still conforming with that advice - but it’s got a get out of jail free card and will no doubt use it if challenged.
Which it is doing as from tomorrow: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Personally, I will help BA adhere to rules of only serving sealed drink products by having the well-chilled bottle of LPGS served at my table unopened.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by onobond
Personally, I will help BA adhere to rules of only serving sealed drink products by having the well-chilled bottle of LPGS served at my table unopened.
Excuse me? We are talking about BA here. Or does the F cabin have a separate wine-chiller? 🤔
mrow, wrp96 and ENTP like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
I have seen the photos of AA's transcon food (which is usually a slight notch below long haul international). They comply with "sealed" by leaving the cover on the plate and all things considered serve decent food. Simply put, BA is going for cheap. The miscalculation, however, is that its reputation will be tarnished.
NoY, masmadrid, Betawax and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:58 pm

Given the UK government guidelines issued to British airlines regarding the requirements to prepackage and offer sealed food wherever possible, I think this may be having the negative effect on the output to a greater degree. That said, Virgin Atlantic can offer hot food in all cabins.... all be it a reduced offering.

Information relating to an existing thread regarding revised catering can be found here

A revised service of on board catering including alcohol service and hot food in First is due to go live this week so perhaps it was just unfortunate that your wife travelled when she did. That said, the revised offering is essentially still a sandwich box and a hot Economy style meal..... Far from a First experience so don't get your hopes up too much.

​​
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by T8191

Originally Posted by onobond
Excuse me? We are talking about BA here. Or does the F cabin have a separate wine-chiller? 🤔
TBH, I can't recall ever flying with BA and being served to my F table an unopened bottle of LPGS un-chilled
mrow and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
The miscalculation, however, is that its reputation will be tarnished.
The miscalculation is, that you assume they care about their reputation. The way BA are currently treating their employees and the public beating they are getting for it shows pretty much that reputation is not high up on their list of priorities.
mrow, flygirl68, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.