Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight layover LHR - can I collect bag

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Overnight layover LHR - can I collect bag

Next April, I have a SFO-LHR arriving 11am, connecting flight LHR-SOF isn’t until 8am the following day.

Will I be able to check my bag in at SFO just to LHR or will they insist it is checked through to SOF?

Is there a clear policy on this, searched the forum but get the sense it’s discretion of the agent at SFO...
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The policy and the default is to through check to the final destination, but if you are obviously overnighting then most people either are asked by the agent which they prefer, or in other cases are able to request the bags' return overnight. It is possible to return say 1 bag out of 3. So I would work on the basis that probably you will get the bags, but perhaps have a Plan B ready just in case you get an agent who isn't going to budge on the issue.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
till now I have never had a problem getting a bag "short checked" when I have an overnight at Heathrow, which with the flight times from KRK has been quite frequently.

I do sometimes need to ask for it to be short checked.

If that will still be the case in the post Covid-19 world remains to be seen
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If they won’t short check in the USA ask for it to be retrieved at LHR, they’ll be a wait but it certainly possible
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The policy and the default is to through check to the final destination, but if you are obviously overnighting then most people either are asked by the agent which they prefer, or in other cases are able to request the bags' return overnight. It is possible to return say 1 bag out of 3. So I would work on the basis that probably you will get the bags, but perhaps have a Plan B ready just in case you get an agent who isn't going to budge on the issue.
That was interesting to read. I have been told very firmly in the past that it is every bag or no bag. I will be more forceful in the future....
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:26 pm

I've never had an issue short checking with an overnight at LHR , in fact they almost always proactively ask if I want the bag in LHR or checked through.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Why not just take a carry on in addition to your checked luggage?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hi all, Just wondoif anyone has any more recent experience with short checking bags?

I am travelling SFO-LHR and then on the FRA the next am.

Will I definitely be able to collect my bags at Heathrow given overnight? Is there a specific policy here?

I will need to drop my bags at home and repack so would appreciate any expertise as to whether I can book this as one ticket and short check (given significant cost implications

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Do you mean that you have over 24hours in London?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am aware of people not being allowed to short check on same day connections. I'm not aware of cases where this was refused on overnight stays. If there is more than 24 hours between flights, or using LCY-FRA, then there is no choice, the bags have to be returned.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:47 am

Thanks. This is helpful. I have yet to book this ticket and will booked based on this.

I did not know I could have a connection of more than 24 hr on same ticket. Is that in fact possible?

That or booking from LCY seem like the best options as it will force the bags to be returned (the objective)

Thanks all
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Carmer
I did not know I could have a connection of more than 24 hr on same ticket. Is that in fact possible?
Yes it is possible but usually it loses most of the savings over a London ticket. It's a stopover after 24 hours, rather than a layover.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If it’s not more then 24 hours you could connect on that day and that’s why they wouldn’t allow you to pick up your bags, best to book another departure airport if you want to collect them when you arrive from SFO.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If it’s not more then 24 hours you could connect on that day and that’s why they wouldn’t allow you to pick up your bags, best to book another departure airport if you want to collect them when you arrive from SFO.
OP said 11AM arrival 8AM departure so less than 24 hours but an overnight. I’m sure collecting bags at LHR in these circumstances is fine.

Ignore me, reading a post from ‘20.

Last edited by dougzz; Dec 11, 2022 at 12:13 pm Reason: Duh!
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:53 pm

Thanks all. Booked in for SFO-LHR and then the following morning from LCY. This indeed has priced as a layover (under 24hrs) and has secured me being able to pick up my bags.

Thanks all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.