Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No tourist travel to US likely for “months”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No tourist travel to US likely for “months”

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Nothing to stop you going now as long as you’re able and willing to spend two weeks in a country that’s not on Trump’s naughty list first, or are prepared to lie to a CBP agent (probably not recommended).
That would be great save for the fact the current advice if for essential travel only, and there are very few places available that I would want to spend 2 weeks in.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The US is not closed to the rest of the world, travel is only restricted for those who have been present in certain countries (specifically mentioned in the Presidential Proclamations) in the 14 days prior to arrival in the US.
I don't know what the loads are like, or where the passengers are originating, but BA resumed service 3x weekly (We/Fr/Su) to SEA at the beginning of the month, after a two-month suspension.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by chucko
I don't know what the loads are like, or where the passengers are originating, but BA resumed service 3x weekly (We/Fr/Su) to SEA at the beginning of the month, after a two-month suspension.
These are cargo only flights.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The US is not closed to the rest of the world, travel is only restricted for those who have been present in certain countries (specifically mentioned in the Presidential Proclamations) in the 14 days prior to arrival in the US.
A list that was drawn up when Europe was the center of the pandemic. With the exception of adding Brazil, the list hasn't changed and in many respects no longer makes any sense.There are countries that should be on it but aren't and others like Ireland, where COVID spread is now minimal, continue to be restricted.

In any case, as has been said, I'm not sure the US would be at the top of my list to visit if I lived elsewhere and watched the news. Much of the coverage is exaggerated and misleading but not entirely. Very sad to say that.

I'm just hoping the UK and Ireland won't be blocking US citizens come September.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stripe
A list that was drawn up when Europe was the center of the pandemic. With the exception of adding Brazil, the list hasn't changed and in many respects no longer makes any sense.There are countries that should be on it but aren't and others like Ireland, where COVID spread is now minimal, continue to be restricted.

In any case, as has been said, I'm not sure the US would be at the top of my list to visit if I lived elsewhere and watched the news. Much of the coverage is exaggerated and misleading but not entirely. Very sad to say that.

I'm just hoping the UK and Ireland won't be blocking US citizens come September.
You are correct. The current US list is not effective anymore, as most of those European states have lower rates of infection than the US does. I sort of expect any day now for Trump to tweet he is lifting the Europe ban. I am fairly sure Dr Fauci will have no say in the matter.

Now the EU is allowing for non EU travel from July 1st, I would expect the pressure on reciprocal travel arrangements with the US to grow.

Regards the UK/Ireland, I do not think you have anything to worry about in September. Both countries travel restrictions are not going to last long.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
The only thing that matters is how unpredictable the virus is until then, and especially it's variable status across states since there was no central management of policies. Doesn't matter what POTUS wants.

Canada is keeping the border closed until July 21st at least and he is not happy about that either. Until that border is opened I wouldn't count on anything else happening but I have no insider info.
Borders between Canada and US are not closed, you can book flights at any time, just looked at flying YYZ to ORD. June 15, flight leaves at 06:30
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:49 pm

I think a lot of people who had plans to travel to the US this summer as a tourist will be cancelling/postponing their trips. I'm due to fly BA to LAX in late August and back to the UK on September 20th, for what is supposed to be a big road trip around national parks and to be honest I don't want to go. I've been looking forward to this trip for a year but I feel August will be too soon to be travelling to the US given how bad the pandemic is there, the possibility of having to quarantine on my return as well as the fact some of my plans may be more difficult or not possible due to any Covid-19 restrictions in place at destinations. My current line of thinking is to cancel everything and take the BA voucher and then rebook for around May/June next year. I'll lose about £100 from two domestic flights in the US that will give me a voucher that I'll never use (different itinerary planned for next year). I'll also lose about £80 on a non-refundable hotel booking and about £60 on cancellation fees for everything else. But those losses don't bother me much as I feel I will enjoy the trip more next year.

So for me at least, it doesn't matter whether the US opens up to tourists, it comes down to whether I feel it is safe to go there and whether I will enjoy the trip as much as I would have if Covid-19 weren't around. I can't imagine many people will be looking forward to their summer trips with all the uncertainty around travel and will be wanting to postpone if possible. I've spent every day for the past month browsing this forum to see what BA are doing with July cancellations to try figure out if my August flights might be cancelled and hoping they extend their book with confidence policy to cover August (which they did last week).
docsxx and Acollier82 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by karcer
Borders between Canada and US are not closed, you can book flights at any time, just looked at flying YYZ to ORD. June 15, flight leaves at 06:30
The land border is closed but you can fly from Canada to the US almost without restriction. Exceptions are those who have been in a restricted country (China, Iran, Schengen, etc) in the last 14 days.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
My next expected US trip (for a conference, and then hopefully a few days free) is mid-October for SF and nearby Bay Area.

Haven't booked flights yet, but am cautiously optimistic that it might work out OK
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I too am really hoping mid October will work. I have a house and a business there, both of which desperately need attention. But CA looks a bit of a mess currently.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by BearX220
The virus doesn't know that. It's spiking hard again in Florida right now. Other states led by pro-Trump Republican governors are following suit. It's tragic and insane. In New York and Chicago, etc., things are leveling off now, but in, um, other places the health risk is growing owing to bad leadership, fudged data, and a rebellious or dismissive populace.

Before you frame plans to come back over here in the near-to-medium term, please know there is a long list of hot-zone states this American intends to stay clear of for at least the next year. It's a mess here.
Hasn't Florida just ramped up testing by a huge amount recently which would make the infection rate appear to jump but the death rate has not?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:07 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Stripe
The land border is closed but you can fly from Canada to the US almost without restriction. Exceptions are those who have been in a restricted country (China, Iran, Schengen, etc) in the last 14 days.
And my point was that as long as this is the case (CANUSA land border closed), no other restrictions will be lifted. Thanks for the clarification (as I said I am having communication issues in this thread).
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by SonTech
Hasn't Florida just ramped up testing by a huge amount recently which would make the infection rate appear to jump but the death rate has not?
Daily number of tests in Florida fell in the last period for which there is data:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...merica/florida

Florida's total number of tests per million population is also below the national average
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by SonTech
Unfortunately, hospitalizations are increasing in Florida, indicating that the increase in positive tests are not just a result of more testing.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Since European tourists can't go to US, they can always try China!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.