Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No tourist travel to US likely for “months”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No tourist travel to US likely for “months”

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Since European tourists can't go to US, they can always try China!
Sadly the Asian countries do not seem keen to reopen their borders anytime soon! I suspect Europeans will be in Disneyworld long before the great wall!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Xenor
I think a lot of people who had plans to travel to the US this summer as a tourist will be cancelling/postponing their trips. I'm due to fly BA to LAX in late August and back to the UK on September 20th, for what is supposed to be a big road trip around national parks and to be honest I don't want to go. I've been looking forward to this trip for a year but I feel August will be too soon to be travelling to the US given how bad the pandemic is there, the possibility of having to quarantine on my return as well as the fact some of my plans may be more difficult or not possible due to any Covid-19 restrictions in place at destinations. My current line of thinking is to cancel everything and take the BA voucher and then rebook for around May/June next year. I'll lose about £100 from two domestic flights in the US that will give me a voucher that I'll never use (different itinerary planned for next year). I'll also lose about £80 on a non-refundable hotel booking and about £60 on cancellation fees for everything else. But those losses don't bother me much as I feel I will enjoy the trip more next year.

So for me at least, it doesn't matter whether the US opens up to tourists, it comes down to whether I feel it is safe to go there and whether I will enjoy the trip as much as I would have if Covid-19 weren't around. I can't imagine many people will be looking forward to their summer trips with all the uncertainty around travel and will be wanting to postpone if possible. I've spent every day for the past month browsing this forum to see what BA are doing with July cancellations to try figure out if my August flights might be cancelled and hoping they extend their book with confidence policy to cover August (which they did last week).
Assuming you're in the UK, the US will be no less 'safe' COVIDwise, indeed its death rate is nearly half that of the UK's which is only surpassed by Belgium now, in regards to the ballsed it up stakes! Restrictions whilst varying state by state are also in the main no different to the UK's and unlike the UK most people are actually bothering to wear masks where recommended. As long as you follow the right precautions, esp in the great outdoors, I suspect you'd have less chance off catching it than you would popping down Tescos.

That said it will be a very different vacation than what you had imagined, although the parks themselves may actually be nicer with reduced tourism!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Assuming you're in the UK, the US will be no less 'safe' COVIDwise, indeed its death rate is nearly half that of the UK's which is only surpassed by Belgium now, in regards to the ballsed it up stakes! Restrictions whilst varying state by state are also in the main no different to the UK's and unlike the UK most people are actually bothering to wear masks where recommended. As long as you follow the right precautions, esp in the great outdoors, I suspect you'd have less chance off catching it than you would popping down Tescos.

That said it will be a very different vacation than what you had imagined, although the parks themselves may actually be nicer with reduced tourism!
If you catch COVID in the UK and get a few weeks of ICU treatment, you won't have a million-dollar bill arriving at your front door. The same cannot be said for the USA.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
The virus doesn't know that. It's spiking hard again in Florida right now. Other states led by pro-Trump Republican governors are following suit. It's tragic and insane. In New York and Chicago, etc., things are leveling off now, but in, um, other places the health risk is growing owing to bad leadership, fudged data, and a rebellious or dismissive populace.

Before you frame plans to come back over here in the near-to-medium term, please know there is a long list of hot-zone states this American intends to stay clear of for at least the next year. It's a mess here.
And the reason to get political here is for what? Not helped by your completely inaccurate statements. One of the states with the highest amounts of new infections now is California, clearly led by pro-Trump... uh, wait, never mind. Also, Oregon, New Mexico, and Puerto Rico on that list of those with increasing infections. There are many pro-Trump states that are not following suit, this is not a democrat/republican issue no matter how much you want it to be or how you want to bend such a narrative. I am not pro-Trump but I am so tired of this ridiculous divisiveness. Let's keep the political comments in the correct section.

Frankly, with the lack of social distancing that is now occurring all over the world from these protests, I am not sure there is much to be gained by stopping travel from most countries as long as proper precautions are taken.
henry999 and acucobol like this.

Last edited by whimike; Jun 14, 2020 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’m all for avoiding party politics on here, but one can’t credibly claim there isn’t (bizarrely) a US party line divide on Coronavirus. You particularly can’t then end with an insinuation that it’s the black lives matter movement which is going to be to blame...

Anyways, as in any social environment today, we unfortunately have to acknowledge that many people hold views which seem utter madness and move on (even if that is often only possible from a position of privilege).
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Yup, a lot of people in Europe are saying 'oh well we do not want people from the US here anyway' but I cannot help but think this US-Europe travel ban is completely unnecessary now. Economically it is disastrous. The US, EU and UK need to drop their respective travel restrictions to each other ASAP. Its clear that the epicentre has now moved to South America, so Trump keeping his ban for several more months as his medical advisor is suggesting is very stupid, and sadly I suspect most EU countries will keep theres until the US drops theres.

As you righly say, probably more chance catching the virus in a supermarket or on the train to LHR, than actually in the US.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I’m all for avoiding party politics on here, but one can’t credibly claim there isn’t (bizarrely) a US party line divide on Coronavirus. You particularly can’t then end with an insinuation that it’s the black lives matter movement which is going to be to blame...
For sure there is a partly line divide on Coronavirus, but implicating that solely as to where infections occur, how they occur and who is to blame is not so simple. Big cities were most affected at first. I don't think politics played into that (i.e. those cities all being liberal), it had to do with those cities being congested. East coast much more affected than west coast, those studying it believe the east coast got infected from Europe with a more virulent deadly strain than the west coast which got infected from Asia. Both liberal and conservative states are rising now and no state is all one party and none of the other party, even the most liberal state still has 30%+ conservatives and vice versa.

You totally miss my point by coming up with the ridiculous assertion that I am blaming BLM for something, I am not. I am simply saying with tens of thousands of people in every large city gathering in large groups (irrespective of reason), there probably is little benefit to restrict travel (if proper precautions are taken). I.E. With states/countries opening for business, beaches, pools and parks opening, restaurants opening, European borders opening and now millions of people gathering in large groups all over the world, what exactly is the benefit of restricting travel?

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Anyways, as in any social environment today, we unfortunately have to acknowledge that many people hold views which seem utter madness and move on (even if that is often only possible from a position of privilege).
Totally agree with you on this point.

I won't clutter this thread any further with politics.

Last edited by whimike; Jun 14, 2020 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
They might open their borders, but that does not mean European governments will remove their travel advisories. How many would risk going there without insurance?
What could go wrong? COVID-19 treatment only costs $1.1 million (£878,000) in the USA!
https://time.com/5853392/million-dol...tment-seattle/
Crampedin13A and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm supposed to be going to BOS in August (the trip was previously booked for May.) I'm still hopeful.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

The historic death rate does't seem to be very useful as to the safety of future travel. According to US estimates https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america the UK and US daily death rates are now similar (per capita) but by 1st August the US rate will be 5 times higher, with daily infections 10 times higher (and about to go back to exponential growth!).

Personally it looks to me that it will be very hard for the UK government to switch off the self-isolation requirement for the US anytime soon. I'm sure politically they wouldn't want an argument with Trump if/when he declares the US re-open, but they'll get a very tough time from the press and opposition if they go from a quarantine where most other countries are at lower rates to suddenly no quarantine when particularly countries are higher.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
What could go wrong? COVID-19 treatment only costs $1.1 million (£878,000) in the USA!
https://time.com/5853392/million-dol...tment-seattle/
The access to adequate insurance coverage is one of the biggest barriers to both personal and business travel resuming and is woefully ignored on here by those desperate to get back on planes. Particularly for business travel, I’d be asking my employer for a very clear statement on any changes or limitations to cover, particularly to high risk/high cost jurisdictions like the US.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
The access to adequate insurance coverage is one of the biggest barriers to both personal and business travel resuming and is woefully ignored on here by those desperate to get back on planes. Particularly for business travel, I’d be asking my employer for a very clear statement on any changes or limitations to cover, particularly to high risk/high cost jurisdictions like the US.
I am overly keen to go back to California but I won't travel there without travel insurance (e.g. the FCO warning in place). Not keen to pay a five digit number for a broken leg, not even talking about CoVid.

Of course its anyone's choice to go or not to go, as long as these who like to travel in any case don't cry for state paid repatriation if something goes wrong. Or take on the hospital bill themselves.
Hoch likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I am overly keen to go back to California but I won't travel there without travel insurance (e.g. the FCO warning in place). Not keen to pay a five digit number for a broken leg, not even talking about CoVid.

Of course its anyone's choice to go or not to go, as long as these who like to travel in any case don't cry for state paid repatriation if something goes wrong. Or take on the hospital bill themselves.
The plan is that the FCO ban goes at the end of the month, along with either scrapping of quarantine or air bridges. The Government knows that it can't 'encourage' you to travel by negotiating an air bridge deal and then leaving you uninsured.
EuropeanPete and ENTP like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:02 am

Lack of travel insurance and cost of covid and other health costs in the US will keep people from going, even when/if the US reopens.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:23 am

Looks like quite a few others have covered the points I would make that put me off. Travel insurance is a big one, I would not travel anywhere if I am unable to get travel insurance and it needs to cover Covid-19 because I can't afford the high treatment costs in the US. It's quite unlikely I'd need hospital treatment even if I do get the virus due to my age but that's not a risk I want to gamble on. If you can't get insurance for even non-Covid healthcare then it's not a good to travel at all. I mean I could break my ankle hiking and have a bill for many thousands.

Also yes as @pauldb said historic death rate is a bad indicator. I've been following data closely on Worldometer and whilst the UK death rate is decreasing quickly the US isn't. I'm actually seeing case numbers there starting to go up, not down like ours is. On June 12th they recorded their highest number of cases since May 21st. If numbers were going down and there was talk of possible air bridges as there is with Europe I'd be more confident about my prospects of visiting the US this summer.

My vacation might sound alright in a Covid era due to being mostly outdoors, but you have to think in most national parks people go to the same popular viewpoints and crowd them and I don't want to skip these bits as they're busy for a reason. There's also limited places to eat, which will also be busy. I can also see some tours that visit special places you can't go without a tour not restarting due to it not being viable or possible to run them socially distancing. So to me, if I can postpone my trip and have a better experience next year with less worry and minimal financial loss postponing it that sounds like the best thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.