Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alex Cruz responds to BA critics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
I know very little about the cabin crew fleets etc, but wouldn’t a more pragmatic way forward be to reduce the entitlements of WW and reduce the size of that fleet?

Eg a 5 day trip to South Africa could be cut to 3 days, like I imagine it would be on Mixed Fleet and therefore you’d need fewer crew to run these routes.

Surely that would make a significant dent in the crew cost to the airline?

It’s not the fault of the employees that BA decided to pay them £40k at some point, but now market conditions are such that far fewer £40k cabin crew are required.

Wouldn’t this have been a better starting point than the slash and burn approach they’ve taken to date?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by cameramaker
I know very little about the cabin crew fleets etc, but wouldn’t a more pragmatic way forward be to reduce the entitlements of WW and reduce the size of that fleet?

Eg a 5 day trip to South Africa could be cut to 3 days, like I imagine it would be on Mixed Fleet and therefore you’d need fewer crew to run these routes.

Surely that would make a significant dent in the crew cost to the airline?

It’s not the fault of the employees that BA decided to pay them £40k at some point, but now market conditions are such that far fewer £40k cabin crew are required.

Wouldn’t this have been a better starting point than the slash and burn approach they’ve taken to date?
This adds to my previous point.

Sounds like an idea, why don’t the union engage? If it were me I’d rather protect my pay reduce the down route rest time.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:26 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Will100
This adds to my previous point.

Sounds like an idea, why don’t the union engage? If it were me I’d rather protect my pay reduce the down route rest time.
I wish I had a pound for the number of times this question has been asked on here. It has NEVER been answered AFAIK, not once has anyone come up with a sound reason (or any reason) as to why the CC union's strategy and tactics are sound. As I personally have said on a few occasions, an opening position is rarely the final position....on both sides. But without engagement, how will the union know what is actually on offer? A truly baffling strategy
T8191, mguinness and Will100 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Agent69
I'm trying not to be party in taking this thread in the direction of the other (suspended) thread, so I will post only once.

We can all play the name another airline game:
  • can you name another UK airline that pays a large section of its cabin crew £40k a year
  • can you name another UK airline where employees have threatened industrial action as often as BA.

The reason that no other UK airline is trying to impose drastically different T & C's is that other airlines don't have the millstone of legacy contracts hanging around their necks. Do you seriously think that Michael O'Leary would not contemplate exactly the same at Ryanair if he was in WW's position?
The £40k a year is a legacy issue due to the amount of time the airline has been around. That same legacy also gives them a huge number of slots at the world's most in-demand airport in the world's largest aviation market so, to an extent, one comes with the other.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:54 am
BOH

Originally Posted by sigma421
The £40k a year is a legacy issue due to the amount of time the airline has been around. That same legacy also gives them a huge number of slots at the world's most in-demand airport in the world's largest aviation market so, to an extent, one comes with the other.
Another voice calling for a number of BA's LHR slots to be reduced as a result of this downturn? Thereby hampering any recovery back to normality and ensuring BA never returns to the 2019 traffic levels and resulting in even fewer jobs?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:11 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Another overpaid airline executive trying to justify why they prioritise dividends to shareholders over their duty to their employees and customers. Firing off at the unions is just a diversionary tactic. He must think we don't know what has been going on all these years.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
How many people who are vociferously against what BA are doing, whether they be staff, their frequent flyers, politicians etc happily shop at Amazon? Even though their well publicised poor treatment of staff regarding minimum wage, many on zero hours contract, heavily policed loo breaks, pressure to come into work when ill for fear of dismissal etc.
You ridiculed the idea of comparing BA's handling of staff reductions to RR's, yet you now want BA compared to Amazon.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOH
Another voice calling for a number of BA's LHR slots to be reduced as a result of this downturn? Thereby hampering any recovery back to normality and ensuring BA never returns to the 2019 traffic levels and resulting in even fewer jobs?
or a valid point depending on your viewpoint
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:21 pm

I have given the slots some thought. If BA is genuinely saying they can’t employ the people for an airline of its size, then why should they keep the slots? Give them to airlines who can (and thus fly the route and aid UKs recovery) and to avoid other airlines slot hogging, have them capacity related, ie you need to fly x % load over a period, if not you lose them. If this leads to airlines dumping prices to fill the seat surely the market will take care of it by those airlines going out of business. Further restriction on those airlines which are stated owned. Simple.
SW7London, flygirl68 and Tocsin like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:30 pm
BOH

a
Originally Posted by Biscuittin
You ridiculed the idea of comparing BA's handling of staff reductions to RR's, yet you now want BA compared to Amazon.
...although you may well have completely missed the point

There is a big difference between RR and BA because RR are not perceived to treat their employees badly, I have a cousin and two friends at the Derby facility and they are generally viewed as a good employer. So not a comparison.

However Amazon certainly is perceived by those who work there and a wider public as not treating their workforce fairly. So a perfectly valid comparison.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:33 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
or a valid point depending on your viewpoint
...I did not say it wasn't a valid point but indisputably a course of action that will no doubt result in a lower number of jobs for BA. "Cutting off their nose to spite their face" is a phrase that springs to mind for those calling for this
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Stage managed, choreographed rubbish.
Completely sums up the lack of inspiration and innovation engulfing the airline, led by a Chairman and CEO who can’t even go in front of the broadcast media.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by surryson; Jun 14, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by BOH
I don't recall saying that. All I did was point out that BA is trying to keep the bits of being a legacy player (brand power, Heathrow slots, route rights) that suit it and cast off the bits that don't. It's not a reasonable thing for them to demand. I'm not quite sure what the answer is, but I do think BA is being unreasonable in how it is acting. They claim they need to shrink their cost base in order to compete fairly, yet there is a huge barrier to competition in the form of Heathrow slots and legacy longhaul route rights that I imagine they would not want shifting.
SW7London, Tocsin and LBA_flyer like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:48 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by sigma421
I don't recall saying that. All I did was point out that BA is trying to keep the bits of being a legacy player (brand power, Heathrow slots, route rights) that suit it and cast off the bits that don't. It's not a reasonable thing for them to demand. I'm not quite sure what the answer is, but I do think BA is being unreasonable in how it is acting. They claim they need to shrink their cost base in order to compete fairly, yet there is a huge barrier to competition in the form of Heathrow slots and legacy longhaul route rights that I imagine they would not want shifting.
Apologies, you are right, you did not specifically call for that. Personally I would rather BA kept the slots because it is a British airline and their LHR slot holding is not as large as some of their key competitors...LH is often mentioned as a having a far higher proportion at FRA than BA do at LHR.

You are right about competition being good for the consumer too - but giving up LHR slots does not help BA (and their staff numbers) recover from the CV19 disaster. If BA have to shrink permanently then they may well need another round of redundancies later and am not sure any staff will want that.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
a

...although you may well have completely missed the point

There is a big difference between RR and BA because RR are not perceived to treat their employees badly, I have a cousin and two friends at the Derby facility and they are generally viewed as a good employer. So not a comparison.

However Amazon certainly is perceived by those who work there and a wider public as not treating their workforce fairly. So a perfectly valid comparison.
I do get the point now. A comparison that makes BA's treatment of staff look poor is not valid. A comparison that does not make it look poor is valid. Thank you for clarifying.
DYKWIA, Silver Fox, Tocsin and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.