Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA - Looking forward to welcoming us back!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Masks are required on Transport For London as another example, therefore if using this to reach LHR or return from LHR, then your journey from the very beginning or end, means wearing a mask.

When using our services please follow instructions from our staff, wear a face covering and respect the space of fellow passengers to help maintain a 2 metre distance.” TFL
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
All sounds hideous quite frankly. Until flying is at least tolerable and preferably comfortable, I'm staying at home.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Mike P
All sounds hideous quite frankly. Until flying is at least tolerable and preferably comfortable, I'm staying at home.
Aside from mini-breaks in the camper, ditto.

We slept in it last night (parked on the drive). Comfortable enough: at least as good as a CW seat Service was terrible though - I had to make my own tea this morning!!
Mike P, T8191, testycal and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Amen!
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by subject2load
No. No sandwiches any more.

From now on, it’s meals - even in ET, let alone in First. This directly from ba.com :

Our buy on board short-haul service will be temporarily suspended, but we'll be providing you with a complimentary meal instead.”
But BA.com also says:

If you're travelling on a short-haul flight, We'll be offering complimentary light refreshments and water and hot drinks will be available on request. If you're travelling on a long-haul flight we'll be offering a selection of light refreshments as well as hot and soft drinks
I suspect that “light refreshments” will continue to be the sandwiches etc.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Have they recruited Kate Moss as their culinary partner?
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Physci - I suspect you are right !

I normally would avoid re-quoting my own comments (rather gauche, methinks !) but it was the same mixed messages that I was alluding to in my earlier post #14 regarding web content appearing on ba.com.....

”but you can’t help wonder whether the information given is a) reliably accurate and / or b) somewhat conflicting ..... “ and

Sounds good - unless of course it turns out that the words ‘meals’ and ‘refreshments‘ are - in BA-parlance - fully interchangeable ..“

Either way, for anyone concerned as to what may - or may not - be provided over coming weeks, it’s probably best to BYOF.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Physci
But BA.com also says:

I suspect that “light refreshments” will continue to be the sandwiches etc.

I suspect so, based on the wording in their own Q and A’s quoted above.

Until this point the snack bags/sandwiches were a gesture based on supply chain issues or health and safety reasons but this Latest guidance/update appears to suggest this is the service provision going forward. Unless I have missed a Q and A / update on when they plan to resume “normal” catering.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:14 am

So based on the current pricing, I’m assuming BA are offering no compensation for the complete downgrade in service in J & F. On that basis, you might as well just fly Y, if loads are as light as being predicted then you’ll have 3/4 seats to spread out anyway.

What’s the competition doing for lounges, in flight catering etc? United, American, Delta, KLM, Lufthansa?
T8191 and paulaf like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven

Until this point the snack bags/sandwiches were a gesture based on supply chain issues or health and safety reasons but this Latest guidance/update appears to suggest this is the service provision going forward. Unless I have missed a Q and A / update on when they plan to resume “normal” catering.
All somewhat confusing for who like to eat onboard - not least the reference on the FAQ’s to restoration of a ‘complimentary meal’ in ET as a substitute for Buy-on-Board arrangements.

Time will tell, I guess, as the percentage of flights operating begins to grow.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
And lack of the alcohol. I am more furious than you x 10.
I was told by someone senior in BA that he doesn't expect free alcohol to come back for 'some time' if at all as it not only saves hundreds of thousands of pounds, but it also keeps flyers sober.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:46 am

And equally hideous when you arrive at your destination. I received a covid-19 preparation document from a hotel in Ibiza and it states:

- no breakfast buffet, plus you'll need to pre-book your planned time of arrival at breakfast

- staff to be in PPE

- pool cannot be used without booking your swim in advance (so no dipping in to cool off in the intense heat)

- no alcohol served after 7pm (what the hell do you do on an evening?)

And yet people are still keen to get away on their 'holiday'.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by chriswiles
And equally hideous when you arrive at your destination. I received a covid-19 preparation document from a hotel in Ibiza and it states:

- no breakfast buffet, plus you'll need to pre-book your planned time of arrival at breakfast

- staff to be in PPE

- pool cannot be used without booking your swim in advance (so no dipping in to cool off in the intense heat)

Sounds quite ghastly. No alcohol after 7pm??!! Really!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
So based on the current pricing, I’m assuming BA are offering no compensation for the complete downgrade in service in J & F. On that basis, you might as well just fly Y, if loads are as light as being predicted then you’ll have 3/4 seats to spread out anyway.

What’s the competition doing for lounges, in flight catering etc? United, American, Delta, KLM, Lufthansa?
I can't speak to AA in terms of long-haul but based on my four recent SH flights with AA the situation was as follows:

PreCheck / Priority security remains available but may be consolidated with regular security. For example, at LAS the dedicated PreCheck security line was closed but you were given a chit to show / hand to the TSA agent and it was a standard PreCheck screening (so no liquids out of the bag, shoes stayed on etc.) whereas at ORD there was a dedicated PreCheck line open but the queues at both PreCheck and regular security were so small it made no difference in reality.

Admirals Clubs are open but only for flight queries / changes etc. with all the usual lounge amenities curtailed. I did a Same Day Flight Change at ORD and there were four agents in the lobby with tensa barriers stretching the length of the lobby so you couldn't approach the desks. Service was as good as always. Only interaction was the agent checking our ID and handing over new BPs for the earlier flight. We were #1 and #2 on the standby list and cleared given the very light loading.

In domestic First on AA you can still get alcoholic beverages but the policy is you need to ask. However, on LAS - PHX the FA did a full service without prompting. On PHX - LAX the FA only served when asked but once I'd asked it opened the floodgates and he was kept busy for the flight. No snacks were offered. In coach there is still a service offered but you need to ask if you want a drink. There's no alcohol in coach, even for passengers with status or those in MCE. Alcoholic beverages have been removed from the carts.

For longer flights (in my case ORD - DFW and DFW - LAS) the FAs were handing out paper bags as you board. The bag contained a bottle of water (16 oz on the first flight, only 8 oz on the second), trail mix (ORD - DFW), pretzels and Biscoff cookies (DFW - LAS) as well as a single-use Purell wipe.

I have seen other posts on the AA forum which show hot meals being served in J with the only apparently difference being a single tray service rather than service by course. I am not sure what's offered on longer flights or the Transcons.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Geordie405; Jun 3, 2020 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles

- staff to be in PPE

Go self catering easy and pour your own!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.