Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways offering Avios as a refund option ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways offering Avios as a refund option ?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Does anybody know if this works for a BA holiday?

I am due to go away in July to the Seychelles. I am still to pay the final payment and I think there is a good chance it will be cancelled. I could pay up now and buy 300k avios at 0.8p each.
Old May 27, 2020, 9:38 am

Is an Avios devaluation not a concern/risk with taking this option?
Old May 27, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Whyone
Is an Avios devaluation not a concern/risk with taking this option?
Not if I spend them straight away... However possibly if I hang to them , yes. Horses for courses
Old May 27, 2020, 12:15 pm

A friend called two days ago and was told it's not possible - not sure how consistent this is.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SilverSkier
Thank you CWS - what a good idea - I hadn't thought of splitting the booking! There are two people travelling so your suggestion would work perfectly.
Just to confirm this worked for me today for a cancelled booking. The agent had to go away to get approval, but then within a few minutes they split the booking into two PRNs, did a cash refund on one and avios refund on the second. Thanks CWS for the idea.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:40 am

This is now an official policy: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Claim Avios

Executive Club Members can now receive Avios instead of a voucher or refund. Taking Avios as an alternative means you’ll receive a 100% bonus compared to Avios purchased at the standard rate.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I see the real value here in partner redemptions that carry next to no surcharges. If you get a 1.2k ticket refunded at close to 145k avios, you could redeem them on a JAL return on business with next to no fees. On the LAX to NRT route, a typical business fare is 2.5 to 3k, so could be excellent value. In other words you're picking up a business return for 1.2k plus a few quid in fees.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:53 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Yes but the no tier points and very limited availability soforme not a good option as need every tier point I can get
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I had another 4 cancellations over the last few days, and went for the Avios refund offer, partly due to having recently changed the credit card concerned. Previously they said it would take about 2 weeks for me to get the Avios back in my account, and it took about 12 days. This time I cancelled on Monday (which was a bank holiday in England) and they showed up in my account today (Wednesday).

It also included flights denominated in Euros, and working through the maths on one of them, the ticket cost 75€, which is about £66.50, and turned into 7,500 Avios. This isn't a stunningly good deal, but I had some considerably more expensive flights int there which were rather more impressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.