Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Impossible to contact BA, should I sue instead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's

Hi all, I'm sure this is a variation on a familiar story for many, so if familiar and you have a suggestion, it would be welcome. I had a couple of redemption bookings for next month, LHR to JNB return in first, JNB to WDH return in club. Both two passengers, the long haul on a 2-4-1.
Given the uncertainties, I cancelled and, optimistically, rebooked for September. Of course the rebooking couldn't use the cash component of the prior tickets, so that was to be refunded and new payments made.
All avios and the 2-4-1 credited instantly. 2 weeks later and Amex had the refund on the WDH flight. a month plus on from that, and no sign of the cash component on the JNB flight - about £1,100 all in.
The BA recorded message just says that they aren't taking my call now, and I am starting to run out of patience. I'm thinking that the way forward is to get use the small claims court, since there is no other way to get BA's attention.
There must be a better (less nuclear) option. Any thoughts, or better yet positive advice?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Have I understood it correctly, you are waiting for the cash portion of your LHR-JNB-LHR ticket? Since it was in First, have you reached out to YouFirst for an update? Or the BA Refund Helper here since it’s been over two weeks?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I like ScienceTeacher's advice. If that doesn't work call Amex and ask them to initiate a charge back or S75 claim.
Redhead likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by umgowah
Hi all, I'm sure this is a variation on a familiar story for many, so if familiar and you have a suggestion, it would be welcome. I had a couple of redemption bookings for next month, LHR to JNB return in first, JNB to WDH return in club. Both two passengers, the long haul on a 2-4-1.
Given the uncertainties, I cancelled and, optimistically, rebooked for September. Of course the rebooking couldn't use the cash component of the prior tickets, so that was to be refunded and new payments made.
All avios and the 2-4-1 credited instantly. 2 weeks later and Amex had the refund on the WDH flight. a month plus on from that, and no sign of the cash component on the JNB flight - about £1,100 all in.
The BA recorded message just says that they aren't taking my call now, and I am starting to run out of patience. I'm thinking that the way forward is to get use the small claims court, since there is no other way to get BA's attention.
There must be a better (less nuclear) option. Any thoughts, or better yet positive advice?
I got through in 7 minutes on the regular number this morning so it certainly isn't impossible.

But, I would contact BA Refund Helper to push this along.
Nephoi and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
I too was getting fed up with the message that it was a difficult time etc, and they couldn't take my call before being cut off. Keep trying and you will get through to the queue to join another wait. I did this this morning 9.30 UK and took about 5 attempts before being able to join the queue - a further 5-10 minutes max. Very helpful assistant resolved everything and processed the refund. She sounded very weary and she and acknowledged that she and her colleagues must be having a trying time. I'm sure that you won't, but please don't take any frustrations you may have about BA's processes out on the call centre, a little kindness works wonders!

Good luck
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:22 am

I phoned them at 2pm today- through in under 15 mins. Cut off once before then
Old May 7, 2020, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Have I understood it correctly, you are waiting for the cash portion of your LHR-JNB-LHR ticket? Since it was in First, have you reached out to YouFirst for an update? Or the BA Refund Helper here since it’s been over two weeks?
I have been told that YouFirst has had little or no queuing so far today. Bremen is also often mentioned here as being able to cope with the numbers calling in, though I have no information on them. Cape Town's Contact Centre has been back in service a couple of weeks. There are certainly some FTers who have struggled to get through, and other FTers who have had few problems. I'd also advise the OP to call YouFirst and if s/he has any further problems to get a PM to the BA Refund Helper who I'm sure can resolve matters.

The reason why some refunds are taking a while is that the main refund office is in India and has been severely disrupted. Manchester has taken over the work but with a million passengers a week needing refunds there is a bit of a backlog. If the refund is straightforward the computer will do it rapidly, if it needs manual calculation then it gets queued off. A patient approach will surely reap the right outcome.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect the process of filing with a small claims court is going to take much longer than Trying to get in touch with BA.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP may simply have placed his call at an unlucky time. As others note, the waits are not bad at all.

But, before going through filing a lawsuit, I would simply initiate a chargeback dispute with the credit card issuer which appears to be Amex, presumably UK. It seems a rather simple and clearcut one and should not require much paperwork or difficulty.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by umgowah
All avios and the 2-4-1 credited instantly. 2 weeks later and Amex had the refund on the WDH flight. a month plus on from t
As recommended above since you have been waiting at least two weeks send a PM to BA refund helper. I am linking to a recent update post by BA refund helper so that you can just click on their name and select the option to send a PM:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32343344-post745.html
Old May 7, 2020, 11:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I called them over another refund for another cancellation. I was through in no time. I wonder which number the OP was ringing - mine was the Gold Number.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I rang yesterday morning , 2 seats in F came up on 1st Jan to JNB , already in Club so rang to upgrade , perhaps wishful thinking but it is my birthday . Got through to a lovely chap working from home in Manchester with no wait at all on the Gold number
Old May 7, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suspect the process of filing with a small claims court is going to take much longer than Trying to get in touch with BA.
This 100%.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:18 pm

Contact them via Twitter it might take several hours for a reply but it is effective
Old May 7, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
A chargeback can be started on the Amex web site in less than 5 minutes. If you have really given up on contacting BA that would definitely be the easiest next step.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.