Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA tier status benefits (lounge) on a AA redemption flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver | Marriott Titanium

Hello,

With a tier status on BA, can you still get in the lounge when you are flying on AA metal on a redemption ticket paid in AAdvantage miles?
Technically, I am a oneworld Sapphire, flying on a oneworld route so I would expect to be admited. But my BA card (Sapphire) will be nowhere to be found in the PNR. I have no tier status with AA.

Cheers!
Old May 4, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum azuttre!

Just take yout BA card with you and you will get lounge access (and also priority check in)

Regards

TBS
Old May 4, 2020, 12:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk, azuttre

Strictly speaking the answer is no. Deep in the small print of the AAdvantage terms and conditions there is mention that benefits are linked to frequent flyer number stored in the booking. However, in practice I have never been refused access to an AA lounge after presenting my Executive Club card.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Not had a problem with a silver BA card at AA lounges.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the clear responses. 3 out of 3. Looks like I don't need to worry.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
If the lounges are open when you travel...
Old May 4, 2020, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, right. Planning some travels in September. We'll see...
Old May 4, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Even if its a Ticket paid with AA miles you can change the FFN to your BA # and it will reflect your status and entitlements... Had it the other way with an Avios ticket and my AA EXP or OWE status later reflected on the ticket...
Old May 4, 2020, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Even if its a Ticket paid with AA miles you can change the FFN to your BA # and it will reflect your status and entitlements... Had it the other way with an Avios ticket and my AA EXP or OWE status later reflected on the ticket...
Although the system may allow it (BA’s system does), it’s hit or miss. I tried it with SQ, which have the capability (same IT provider as BA), but it was refused by their call center. I didn’t push more. Not sure if AA’s system allows adding two cards.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
*A carriers are more strict about cross-benefiting.
For example, United refuses to change the FFP number if the passenger has benefited from MileagePlus ( or MileagePlus credit card ) perks such as EconomyPlus seating or free checked baggage ( related to the membership ). There were also numerous reports that even though people had their non-UA FFP numbers on their boarding passes and they had their miles credited to UA MP because they've used one of their perks related to their membership, obviously no miles at the other program.

BA and AA are less strict about this.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:21 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
A couple of years ago, I redeemed some AA miles for QR long haul J flights. I am OWR with AA but OWE with BA.
I just changed my FFP to my BA number on the QR website and my boarding pass showed my BA OWE number.
So in the OP’s case, you could try changing the FFP to your BA OWS number on the BA website or if not possible, try the Finnair or QR website using your BA PNR.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by azuttre
Although the system may allow it (BA’s system does), it’s hit or miss. I tried it with SQ, which have the capability (same IT provider as BA), but it was refused by their call center. I didn’t push more. Not sure if AA’s system allows adding two cards.
SQ as in Singapore Airlines, a Star Alliance member? No wonder it was refused...
Old May 5, 2020, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa
SQ as in Singapore Airlines, a Star Alliance member? No wonder it was refused...
I meant an SQ miles booking on which I was trying to add another Star Alliance FFP.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azuttre
With a tier status on BA, can you still get in the lounge when you are flying on AA metal on a redemption ticket paid in AAdvantage miles?
Technically, I am a oneworld Sapphire, flying on a oneworld route so I would expect to be admited. But my BA card (Sapphire) will be nowhere to be found in the PNR. I have no tier status with AA.!
What route/lounge? Showing your BA card for lounge access may or may not work
Link---> Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)
From the wiki. But you are going the other way; the AA benefit is the award flight.
NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.