Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Promo : Purchase Avios, 50% bonus, 9 - 22 March 2020

Old Mar 9, 20, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Got an email today with a 50% avios promo.

Purchase Avios terms and conditions: 50% bonus Avios
This offer is only open to Members of the British Airways Executive Club (Eligible Participants). The offer is available from 00:01 (GMT) Monday 9 March 2020 to 23:59 (GMT) Sunday 22 March 2020 only (the ‘Offer Period’). During the Offer Period, Eligible Participants will receive 50% extra Avios (bonus Avios) when they purchase or gift Avios at ba.com. Avios can only be purchased at ba.com using the Purchase Avios Application Form found on offer page. Eligible Participants may Gift Avios (purchase for someone else) during the promotional period, provided that the recipient holds a British Airways Executive Club account with at least one Avios point in their account. The Bonus Avios will not count towards your annual limit of 200,000 Avios. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Purchase Avios offer. Purchased Avios can be refunded within 14 days of purchase providing the Avios have not been used. Contact the British Airways Executive Club via ba.com or by telephone to cancel. Payments will be reimbursed no later than 14 days after the date of which the Executive Club was informed about the decision to cancel. The Executive Club Terms and Conditions and Conditions of Use apply to this offer and can be found at ba.com. British Airways reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this offer.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Frustrating, I had to buy 40k points on Friday for an upgrade, so I just missed this deal . That said, I can see the price has gone up 10% since Friday.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / SPG Gold
Really!

In the midst of an 18% reduction in capacity they try this on. BAs response to this crisis is risible. Beyond parody
aristoph, T8191 and Dicksbits like this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by binman View Post
Really!

In the midst of an 18% reduction in capacity they try this on. BAs response to this crisis is risible. Beyond parody
if this crisis is anything like 2008, there will be huge amounts of reward seats available as they try to get cash in anyway they can
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Really!

They ran one in April/May last year. So not much difference in timing
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
if this crisis is anything like 2008, there will be huge amounts of reward seats available as they try to get cash in anyway they can
And this deal may suit some people, I accept that entirely, but its not a game changer in my view.

Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
They ran one in April/May last year. So not much difference in timing
It is a regular offer and if they really want to generate cash offer people complete peace of mind. All tickets fully flexible , no change fees, no fare differences and full refunds within a defined period which could be till end of May or June.

I am keen to travel in late May but I am not booking. If there is an issue I can only change that booking and it is entirely possible fares will have risen so I pay the higher fare. That is not reassuring
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I am keen to travel in late May but I am not booking. If there is an issue I can only change that booking and it is entirely possible fares will have risen so I pay the higher fare. That is not reassuring
Good for you... but what relevance does that have to this thread?
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
I get my avios through, flying, tesco clubcard and a blue amex card.. Mostly end up using them on reward flights in Europe.

Never purchased any before.... Never needed to

Are the avios always that much?

31 for 1000 plus 500 bonus
or. 815 for 50k plus 25k

​​​​​​​What are you people using them for to make them financially viable?
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Fatdickie View Post
What are you people using them for to make them financially viable?
Most people will buy to hit a specific target. So, if a US 2-4-1 redemption costs 120K Avios, and you only have 112K, buying the 8K would make sense.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:35 am

What are you people using them for to make them financially viable?
You people?

I bought 125,000 Avios a few months ago, for almost exactly 1p per Avios. I've been burning through Avios more quickly than I've been earning them lately, and it seemed like a good price.

I use them for last-minute bookings between Berlin and London, of which I book two or three a month. The fare would often be several hundred pounds in ET at the time I book but only 8,000 Avios plus 31 (i.e. 111) as a reward saver return, and with only 50p cancellation fee too.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Misco60, you are their target market ... and others like you doing a lot of s/h. Leisure travellers like us, mainly l/h, have lower burn rates until the annual 2-4-1 comes along, but earn heavily as Golds in J and by Amex spend.
Old Mar 9, 20, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I get my avios through, flying, tesco clubcard and a blue amex card.. Mostly end up using them on reward flights in Europe.

Never purchased any before.... Never needed to

Are the avios always that much?

31 for 1000 plus 500 bonus
or. 815 for 50k plus 25k

​​​​​​​What are you people using them for to make them financially viable?
As a USA based customer: For saver CW tickets USA-EU, even with the taxes taken into consideration the Avios are worth about $0.015. Redemption on US metal for domestic flights with no last minute booking fees can be helpful and sometimes a good value.

I wouldn't stock up unless I had a route in mind for them (or maybe if they were ~$0.005 each) but aside from the 2-4-1 already mentioned it can sometimes work out okay. My friend points out that the BOGO CW sales are better because you earn TP on those tickets, but that doesn't apply to everyone (like myself, I earn Skyteam)
Old Mar 9, 20, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Thanks DYKWIA and Misco60
That makes sense

Cheers

(Didn't mean "People" how it came out
​​​​Meant. Eg chaps... But then you could all be female....) i'll get my coat
T8191, rockflyertalk and TTmex like this.
Old May 5, 20, 3:28 am

75% bonus now on avios on the BA site until 18th may, must use your BA Amex to get the bonus
Old May 5, 20, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question

Originally Posted by mwp1 View Post
75% bonus now on avios on the BA site until 18th may, must use your BA Amex to get the bonus
I can only see 50% when I go into my account.?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: