Wiki Posts
Search

TLV In July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
TLV In July

Have a booking EWR-LHR-TLV on July 1 which I will either cancel or await BA cancellation. Better of course if BA cancels and I can request a refund. Shows zeroed out today on ExpertFlyer and while I know there have been issues between BA reservation system and Expert Flyer, was wondering if anyone knew whether any July determination of this service has been made. Also scheduled JFK-LHR-JNB on August 1 which still shows availability but that obviously depends upon whether SA is open in August and my accomodations will be open.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Even if things get a lot better until then, a connecting flight means a fairly good chance you'll get a full refund. You only need one of the 4 segments to be cancelled or have a significant change to be eligible for a refund. I would sit this out and wait for them to give you a refund reason.

Shame about not going to TLV in July though. That level of heat and sunshine would give you a decent vitamin D boost.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Exactly what I figured. Now my big concern is Africa and I am having my doubts about African countries opening.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:07 am

I’m in a similar situation a few days later from IAD. It’s unclear what Israeli entry requirements will look like by July, but given they have been some of the most restrictive, I can’t see them lifting quickly.

EWR-LHR and LHR-TLV flights are still operating/bookable in July 1. There’s a issue with ExpertFlyer: if you don’t specify BA as the airline, availability will return as 0.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Even specifying BA, ExpertFlyer is returning 0. It is showing availability on 8/1 JFK-LHR-JNB, but who knows what the SA entry situation will be. And if restrictions are lifted, will it be in time for the resorts to reopen.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by nsoltz
Even specifying BA, ExpertFlyer is returning 0. It is showing availability on 8/1 JFK-LHR-JNB, but who knows what the SA entry situation will be. And if restrictions are lifted, will it be in time for the resorts to reopen.
As with makin'miles above, searching EF for EWR-(LHR)-TLV on 1 JULY specifying BA returns availability on BA184, and 188 and BA165, 167, and 163 all 9s in all classes. Do not check exclude codeshares and specify connecting at LHR.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
TLV is a route that I fly a lot, and also book for others to fly. During this lockdown BA have shifted between flying the 167/66 and 165/64 rotations and sometimes having no services I think. While there will be some flying to Israel with legitimate business interests, much of the traffic on this route is religious 'tourism' (for want of a better phrase), and with the country in lockdown (and the PA as well), and - as yet - no official hints about how that might be eased, I very much doubt there will be any change to what BA is currently doing. So I would be fairly sure that at least one of the rotations will not operate in June, and I would await developments so you might not have to cancel proactively and miss out on a refund.
makin'miles likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by DominicB
TLV is a route that I fly a lot, and also book for others to fly. During this lockdown BA have shifted between flying the 167/66 and 165/64 rotations and sometimes having no services I think. While there will be some flying to Israel with legitimate business interests, much of the traffic on this route is religious 'tourism' (for want of a better phrase), and with the country in lockdown (and the PA as well), and - as yet - no official hints about how that might be eased, I very much doubt there will be any change to what BA is currently doing. So I would be fairly sure that at least one of the rotations will not operate in June, and I would await developments so you might not have to cancel proactively and miss out on a refund.
I am meant to be going there for the first time in the last week of June for a holiday, obviously at this stage not expecting to get to go. But everyone is playing hardball, flight is still on, expensive hotels refusing a refund. Hoping the flight gets cancelled (it is with Brussels).
Old May 2, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
You don't want to be going there under current restrictions!
https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Gu...ttempts-626593
Old May 2, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA, UA, IHG
And more importantly, unless you are an Israeli citizen you won’t be allowed to come to Israel anyway and the tourist hotels are closed. At least until the 16th May, all Israeli citizens must be taken to the (Defence Ministry run) hotels for 14 day isolation.

However, what is happening here (TLV) is that the rules are constantly changing and sometime quite fast....
Old May 2, 2020, 2:09 pm

To be fair, I might try to do myself in if I had to stay in the Dan Panorama for 14 days... :P

A little more on topic, though - I'd be very surprised if BA is running any more than a daily service before August. We'll see how it goes, but its a very light schedule in May, so there's no way they'll be back to full-steam starting June 1.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:25 am

However unlike some places TLV has a regular schedule with BA165/164 (the morning LHR and afternoon TLV return) running as A350 freight flights on most days/week... see TheBASource for more info.
makin'miles likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by Bhel Poori
However unlike some places TLV has a regular schedule with BA165/164 (the morning LHR and afternoon TLV return) running as A350 freight flights on most days/week... see TheBASource for more info.
I assume this is what the grey colouring is in the flightradar24 history below? TheBASource ends the flight number with F, which I assume is freight. I am booked 6 June to TLV in F using an Amex Companion Voucher (2-4-1) and am waiting for BA to cancel.

Last edited by Jase76; May 5, 2020 at 6:37 am Reason: Typo
Old May 5, 2020, 6:56 am

I think FlightRadar is being economic with the truth as I've seen BA165 on more dates that that for example on Sunday (3rd) and it doesn't match FlightRadar's record on BA164, the incoming flight... which is why I pointed at theBASource. I think the grey just points to the FlightRadar database not having enough information, for example I checked 12 Apr BA165 and it appears to have been a freight only flight too, yet it is green.

The latest situation here is that the forced quarantine hotel for arriving Israelis is likely to be lifted at some point soon and that the next level of reopening, if the current trends continue, will be 14 June. I cannot see BA flying before that so I think it very likely it will be cancelled.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by Bhel Poori
I think FlightRadar is being economic with the truth as I've seen BA165 on more dates that that for example on Sunday (3rd) and it doesn't match FlightRadar's record on BA164, the incoming flight... which is why I pointed at theBASource. I think the grey just points to the FlightRadar database not having enough information, for example I checked 12 Apr BA165 and it appears to have been a freight only flight too, yet it is green.

The latest situation here is that the forced quarantine hotel for arriving Israelis is likely to be lifted at some point soon and that the next level of reopening, if the current trends continue, will be 14 June. I cannot see BA flying before that so I think it very likely it will be cancelled.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I am fully expecting 6 June to be cancelled and have cancelled all my hotel and car rental bookings. I'm just waiting for BA to cancel so I don't have to pay the 2 x £35 change fee. I used a GGL Redemption so am aiming to change flights to EZE in December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.