Community
Wiki Posts
Search

December Cape Town - too soon?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
We have a LHR - OSL, OSL - DOH, DOH - CPT in September (was booked before all this C-19 malarkey) so I am more than hoping by then it will be fine.
This is just my opinion and crystal ball.
Coronavirus may hit Africa very hard with all its consequences (e.g. closed borders, travel bans, no flights, quarantines). Travelling in 2020 should be completely off the table.
ens100 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far South Africa has been well ahead of the curve in managing the virus. They have a lockdown currently far stricter than the UK, with 5 levels of declining severity that will be flexed by province as the situation evolves.

Currently UK passport holders require a visa and you can’t get one if you have recent travel history including the UK! If you are able to obtain one there is 14 days mandatory self isolation or quarantine on arrival.

Given the severity of the lockdown I would be sceptical about travel restrictions easing quickly. They might reinstate visa free travel but keep the self isolation requirement, and then there will still be travel and activity restrictions when there.

The new normal 😕
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by surryson
Do we need another crystal ball thread?
How can we know whether we need a crystal ball? With another crystal ball?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
How can we know whether we need a crystal ball? With another crystal ball?
As requested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystal_Ball
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Currently UK passport holders require a visa and you can’t get one if you have recent travel history including the UK! If you are able to obtain one there is 14 days mandatory self isolation or quarantine on arrival.

The new normal 😕
And if newspaper reports are to be believed, a mandatory 14 days quarantine/self isolation when you get back.

I'm not even that confidant of a trip I have booked for next March will be feasible
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Swissroll
And if newspaper reports are to be believed, a mandatory 14 days quarantine/self isolation when you get back.

I'm not even that confidant of a trip I have booked for next March will be feasible
Yep, I was just about to post that!

Even if you can travel, and you are allowed to enter the country without a quarantine period, where is a chance you'll be required to quarantine on return to the UK, which depending on your circumstances may or may not be an issue.

My crystal ball may be of the very dim and gloomy variety, but I cannot see long haul leisure travel being sensibly possible/practical for most people inside the next 12 months.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:22 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Norwegian UK presented its plan for ramping up activities based on their own crystal ball, and it is sobering.

BA plans might be not to dissimilar.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, that made my day!!

OTOH, it might help dampen the ardour of those who expect ‘normality’ this Summer!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:13 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I just booked flights from the USA to JRO for a safari. Using Delta and KLM. I have not booked the actual safari yet...will wait several months for that.

All I can say if we aren't back to normal travel in the next 3-6 months....the new normal is going to be apocalyptic at best!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:20 am

I'm certainly no expert in either managing global pandemics nor operating an airline, but the Norwegian plan pretty much aligns with my expectations based on a little common sense and a lot of reading.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Flying Blue Silver
As a Secondary School teacher, I have a trip booked to the USA for October; Washington and New York. If we can’t travel, we’ll receive a refund, but some parents are, quite understandably, anxious about their child travelling anyway. As time passes, I’m more inclined to think the trip may be curtailed.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Norwegian UK presented its plan for ramping up activities based on their own crystal ball, and it is sobering.

BA plans might be not to dissimilar.
Did they also include a picture of the money-fairy that is going to fund the airline during a complete shut-down?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:46 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The audience of that particular picture was the money fairy: this was from a presentation ahead of a meeting with bond-holders.
Swissroll likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The audience of that particular picture was the money fairy: this was from a presentation ahead of a meeting with bond-holders.
That must have been a fun presentation to give!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
If only the money fairy would visit me sometimes.

This is all indeed a bit of a downer, especially with the potential to quarantine at either / both ends. Not great but as still have a few months will play it by ear closer the time. Would never have though this as a scenario when booked the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.