December Cape Town - too soon?

Old Apr 26, 20, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
December Cape Town - too soon?

Iíve just booked a great deal from AMS. Not too much risk financially as have booked as a holiday with car so only paid 400Ä deposit.

My limited gamble is either a) I canít go and will get a voucher or b) we go and get a great deal on the upper deck.

What do you think my odds are? How badly within SA come off with C-19?
Marvella likes this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
I’ve just booked a great deal from AMS. Not too much risk financially as have booked as a holiday with car so only paid 400€ deposit.

My limited gamble is either a) I can’t go and will get a voucher or b) we go and get a great deal on the upper deck.

What do you think my odds are? How badly within SA come off with C-19?
We have a LHR - OSL, OSL - DOH, DOH - CPT in September (was booked before all this C-19 malarkey) so I am more than hoping by then it will be fine. As you say, best case get to travel again, and worst case will get a refund / voucher so not too badly off.
Old Apr 26, 20, 10:27 am

Im aiming for South Africa in January and going along the same lines, deposit put down etc. That said, Iím not super confident the South African govt will get to grips with this too quickly / effectively but then the greatest country on earth hasnít done a stellar job either.

I would however be less confident of you getting that upper deck seat - the 747s may not be flying in Dec...
Old Apr 26, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Wild speculation mode - as I read the tea leaves (and it is just that), I think travelling will be technically allowed. However, I think most countries will implement quarantine measures (ie weeks) on arrival and / or social distancing measures may mean attractions will not be open or if they are open are not available in the usual way. It remains to be seen what insurance situation will be, too. I think quarantines will be lifted gradually but this will be led as much by the court of public opinion as by science.

Unless some kind of effective treatment comes along / vaccine - I would think the latter may be a way to exempt yourself from quarantine requirements, over time.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Apr 26, 20 at 4:28 pm
Old Apr 26, 20, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
For questions on specific countries it's best to go to the destination boards

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/
Fruitcake, T8191 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 10:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
December 2020 / January 2021, I'd hope that people booked to go then will be OK. There will still be the issue of insurance however which won't be trivial.

September 2020, I really hope the person booked to go then will be OK but I'd be much less confident, particularly with an ex-EU start.
ens100 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Speaking about me, I decided to quit. Don't want to loose my money. It's better to wait, who knows what will be in December.
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
I got out of Namibia via ZA 4 days before both nations closed their airspace mid-March. Still trying to recover my cancelled Air Namibia flight WDH-FRA.

My next live booking is ZA in November and I wonder whether that will happen at the moment.

Since it's an avios booking on a GUF2, I am hoping cancellation, if necessary, nearer the date, won't be a problem.
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Do we need another crystal ball thread?
brunos, greyt, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We have a CPT booking for December, with 3 associated private hotels in the Winelands, so obviously tracking closely even at this remove. The ZA Government has been imposing some extreme measures, including a ban on the sale of alcohol and cigarettes ... which must please the locals! I particularly liked the Level 3 restrictions:
18. Off-premises consumption of alcohol, subject to limited hours (Mon-Wed 8 – 12pm) and subject to an approved industry plan on social distance and quantitative restrictions. No consumption on premises.
Could be a fun place to be, if you can even cross the Border!

Have a look at the latest pronouncements.
https://citizen.co.za/business/busin...s-of-lockdown/

I do agree this should be on the Africa Forum, where local (as opposed to BA) knowledge will be available.
Fruitcake and UKtravelbear like this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I wouldn’t be touching Africa for a year, it’s going to be frighteningly sad when the virus hits the continent.
Old Apr 26, 20, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I wouldn’t be touching Africa for a year, it’s going to be frighteningly sad when the virus hits the continent.
Sad ... certainly. But if we can get back again, for the 5th successive year, we certainly will. It’s a magical country on so many levels, and we are ever eager to return.

Whether our December flights will happen is, of course, a question mark ... and whether our regular hotels and resturants will gave survived is another, given existing internal travel restrictions. My worry is the evident micro-management evidenced in my link above, which has full potential to destroy tourism for years to come.
The_Bouncer and andymcdonnell like this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I will add I certainly don’t want to be correct, I pray that I’m wrong.
Grande Annee and T8191 like this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA blue, Emirates blue
Weíve got CPT 12Feb returning DUR 07Mar and our annual travel insurance covers the virus (not that we ever want to catch it.) Fingers crossed we get there to see family.
Old Apr 26, 20, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat
I am scheduled on August 1 JFK-JNB on BA. From there to Zambia and then to Uganda returning via NBO on August 25. Not terribly optimistic about it but had to pay tour operator in full on April 1. The choice was losing the entire deposit or having a pre-payment for any potential rescheduling. We don't have crystal balls, but I am not terribly optimistic for Africa travel this year. I agree that Africa is magical and I hope for a different Africa experience each year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: